Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Re: Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby careinke » Wed 24 Apr 2019, 22:20:07

Well, I guess you need to start shitting on your own vegetables. I don't think educating women is going to make them shit on your vegetables.

As Sep Holzer says, If you don't use pigs, then you need to be the pig.

Have Fun
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 24 Apr 2019, 23:08:32

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby careinke » Wed 24 Apr 2019, 23:23:14

dohboi wrote:I already do.

Read all about it:

https://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/ ... manual.pdf

Great! you are already 5% there.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Thu 25 Apr 2019, 00:25:30

I am also going to build a composting toilet. Those who use water toilets are killing the planet.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 26 Apr 2019, 03:55:03

Tilling soil to grow food is bad for the environment,it releases CO2 and destroys the soil structure,animals and no till improves the soil structure.

Without soil we have nothing
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 28 Apr 2019, 08:29:21

Dohboi,

This one is for you.

“Only after I became active in women’s issues did I realize that my veganism was related to those very issues,” she told the crowd. “Dairy and eggs don’t just come from cows and chickens, they come from female cows and female chickens. We’re exploiting female bodies and abusing the magic of female animals to create eggs and milk.”

https://www.livekindly.co/natalie-portm ... -feminism/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 28 Apr 2019, 16:00:35

Newf, you old feminist you! Watch out or Cog will call you a Femi-Nazi!! :) :)

Thanks for the link!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 01 May 2019, 22:00:05

Let them eat...larvae??

Humans Will Eat Maggots, Scientists Insist ... or vice versa ...

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-humans-ma ... nsist.html

University of Queensland Meat Science Professor Dr. Louwrens Hoffman said conventional livestock industries would not be able to meet worldwide demand for meat, and alternatives were needed to replace or complement traditional protein sources.

"An overpopulated world is going to struggle to find enough protein unless people are willing to open their minds, and stomachs, to a much broader notion of food," Professor Hoffman said. "Would you eat a commercial sausage made from maggots? What about other insect larvae and even whole insects like locusts? The biggest potential for sustainable protein production lies with insects and new plant sources."

... Professor Louwrens said insect larvae could be produced as a product from 'upcycled waste' including sewage.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 02 May 2019, 07:22:47

dohboi wrote:Let them eat...larvae??

Humans Will Eat Maggots, Scientists Insist ... or vice versa ...

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-humans-ma ... nsist.html

University of Queensland Meat Science Professor Dr. Louwrens Hoffman said conventional livestock industries would not be able to meet worldwide demand for meat, and alternatives were needed to replace or complement traditional protein sources.

"An overpopulated world is going to struggle to find enough protein unless people are willing to open their minds, and stomachs, to a much broader notion of food," Professor Hoffman said. "Would you eat a commercial sausage made from maggots? What about other insect larvae and even whole insects like locusts? The biggest potential for sustainable protein production lies with insects and new plant sources."

... Professor Louwrens said insect larvae could be produced as a product from 'upcycled waste' including sewage.

We had an ecotourist that found a teeny tiny larvae in our organic salad and sent her salad back to the kicthen. She panicked and told us to please remove the salad, she couldn't even touch the salad bowl she was so freaked out.

Earlier in the day she was taking pictures of butterflies and was so happy at their beauty.

I showed her that the teeny tiny larvae in question was a member of the subfamily Pieridae and that the future butterfly was most likely an orange spotted sulphur of the genus Anteos.

She was not amused...

I really am not good at handling guests like this.......
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 02 May 2019, 07:51:22

Ibon,

Doesn't matter, there is a marked decrease in the world’s insect population anyway. As we eat down the food chain we will find the bottom.

But it’s amusing how this insect eating argument parallels the renewable energy argument. They both seem to retain the current status quo of energy use and population. They both ignore that we are in massive overshoot and the real solution is to reduce, reduce our population and per capita energy use.

Destructive side arguments away from the hard central facts.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 07 May 2019, 14:54:25

Looks like some savvy people see a bright future for veganism!

Beyond Meat Soars More Than 200% From IPO

https://www.investors.com/news/beyond-m ... -meat-ipo/

This as the rest of the stock market seems to be in the process of crashing to the ground!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Yonnipun » Wed 08 May 2019, 16:00:09

I have a neighbour whose diet consists mostly oatmeal, potatoes, pasta, vegetable oil for cooking, tomatoes, garlic, onions, apples , fruits and berries etc. He is not strictly vegan because he also eats fish sticks and sausages. He avoids read meat because he read from somewhere that it casuses arterial calcification. He also avoids butter and sour cream because those items are high in saturated fat that is also risky because of the athelescrelosis.I have some free range chickens so I gave him eggs but he refuses to eat them because those have cholesterol in them. I also said to him that ditch the yolk and at least eat the white because of the protein in it but he does not do it. The sad part is that he looks like someone who just stepped out from the concentration camp. He on the other hand is proud that he is so thin. He has rheumatic arthritis in his hands and I do not say it is due to the diet I think it is because of the climate we have here but the thing is he needs to occasionally give blood examples and turns out his ferritin level is very low. Also his b12 turned out very low. I told him that he has all the blood parameters of a typical vegan and he needs to start to eat more meat. He said that tomatoes should contain ferritin. His doctor prescribed him ferritin and b12 vitamins. He is concerned that he has to spend so much money on the vitamins. The moral of the story is that you can not argue a person to change his views on some item. In order to change the view this person has to agree with you in his conciense before the argument even begun. I do not remember who exactly said it but I have already seen it with my own eyes so many times in this forum and in real life.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 08 May 2019, 17:31:30

This is, obviously, anecdotal.

It is rare that anyone other than a pure vegan who is idiotic enough not take some kind of supplement ever has a problem with B12. Even an occasional sausage should make that unnecessary. So I'm thinking this does not have to do with his diet.

The following are common non-meat/dairy sources of iron:

Fortified cereals, rice, wheat and oats.
Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale.
Dried fruits like raisins and apricots.
Beans like lentils and soybeans

Sausage would obviously also have plenty of iron in it.

Anyone eating any of these with any regularity, or just using an iron skillet, is unlikely to have blood iron levels low enough to require ferritin tablets. Either you (or he) are misrepresenting this guy's diet, or he has some problems that do not stem from his diet.

Typically, vegans who supplement their diet with B12 (or who don't worry too much about some bugs in their food and eat from sources that are likely to have them) have about the healthiest blood profiles (or 'parameters') on the planet.

As you say, he is not likely to listen to reason on this, but dietary cholesterol intake also generally has little to do with one's blood cholesterol levels.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/di ... not-matter
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Yonnipun » Fri 10 May 2019, 06:30:23

It is rare that anyone other than a pure vegan who is idiotic enough not take some kind of supplement ever has a problem with B12. Even an occasional sausage should make that unnecessary. So I'm thinking this does not have to do with his diet.

I agree. I think it has something to do with his gut which probably can not take up nutrients as efficiently as it should. He is very thin although he says that he eats a lot. I have read that people who have arthritis in their hands often have other probles too like sclerodermia. His fingers in the winter have blisters which are painful and take a long time to heal which is a sign of sclerodermia. I have seen over the years that the only thing that helps with it is when the weather gets warmer with plentyful sunshine. His hand are almost fully recovered in the summer. I am afraid that the sclerodermia might be partly systemic and affects his gut. I also measured his blood glucose before and after his first meal in the morning and the numbers were very good so fortunately he does not have blood sugar problems.
The trouble with him is that he absolutely does not listen other people advices other that his doctors. And the doctor prescriebed him vitamins. Why did not doctor give some food recommendations? Maybe he is convinced that food does not help him anymore. I myself would like to try to feed him with eggs which are as we all know nutritional powerhouses. On egg contains all the nurtrients that are needed for growing from nothing to a living organism. I would also give him some pure meat. I think he needs more saturated fat in his diet. I have heard that vitamins will absorb better with fat. I remeber that my grand-grandmother once told me that when she was sent to Siberia during Russian occupation there were periods when they only ate nothing but potatoes with salt and the taste of a potato got very bitter eventually. She also mentioned that skin at her fingertips and other parts of the body started to crack. She fortunately had an opportunity to get a cow and she started to milk it. Potatoes with butter from the milk was like a celebration party back then. She told that one family had also a cow but they killed it and ate it at once. They eventually did not survive the Siberia. My overall point is that people usually have their own opinions on some matter which are very difficult not to say almost impossible to change by argument. In math 2+2=4 and there is nothing to argue about. But things like diet, health, etc bring up endless argumets about who has the biggest truth about that certain item. For example no matter how hard you try, dohboi, I would never belive that veganism is healthy and the opposite is also true, no matter how hard I try to persuade you that eating meat is good for you you would not listen to me.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 May 2019, 14:44:19

Meat eaters are killing the planet.
Humans are meat eaters.
Therefore humans are killing the planet.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 10 May 2019, 17:04:09

Meat eaters are killing the planet.
Lions and Tigers and Bear are meat eaters.
Therefore Lions and Tigers and Bears are killing the planet.

Wait, what? But Lions and Tigers and Bears (Oh MY) have been eating meat for millions of years! How is it that just recently this is killing the planet when it is a natural activity from time immemorial?

Oh wait, you said HUMAN's being meat eaters is the problem? Uhm, well, no, not any more logical to claim that than it is to blame the Lions and Tigers and Bears, because from time immemorial humans have been predators eating meat.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 May 2019, 18:20:00

Exactly!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 11 May 2019, 02:33:47

Yon, if his stomach isn't properly absorbing the nutrients he is eating, changing his diet, whether to meat or to anything else, is not likely to help...the nutrients still won't be absorbed.

And thanks to others for the syllogisms...entertaining as usual! :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 11 May 2019, 07:00:44

dohboi wrote:Yon, if his stomach isn't properly absorbing the nutrients he is eating, changing his diet, whether to meat or to anything else, is not likely to help...the nutrients still won't be absorbed.

And thanks to others for the syllogisms...entertaining as usual! :)

I did enjoy my classes on Logic and Philosophy back in my Uni days.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate