Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When will the mass dieoff begin? Pt. 5

When will the mass dieoff begin? Pt. 5

Unread postby eclipse » Tue 30 Apr 2019, 21:16:16

Check out his videos. He's got some things developed, but sadly open source hardware seems harder to get an online community excited about than open source software.
https://www.opensourceecology.org/about-videos-3/

His original TED talk had me all fired up about the social justice potential for the third world - but it's a long, slow process, even with some of the endorsements below.

Your project is amazing. Thrilling, actually… It’s people like you who really give me hope for the future.
— Chris Anderson, TED Curator

Interesting ideas. I don’t know of anything quite like it.
— Noam Chomsky
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/
eclipse
Lignite
Lignite

Re: When will the mass dieoff begin? Pt. 5

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 02 May 2019, 07:54:06

That’s interesting and makes a lot of sense.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby eclipse » Thu 02 May 2019, 18:13:19

So environmental biologists are starting to recommend that we move certain species to more fitting climates. I don't want to trivialise the threats to certain agricultural and ecosystem areas. Climate change is a beast that has required stuff to move over around 800 years in the past ice-age cycle, but our anthropogenic climate change demands they move in just 100 years! What's worse, our towns, roads, but mostly our agriculture gets in the way. But there are environmental groups looking at the feasibility of moving species to new areas and transplanting and growing out new ecosystems in those more viable areas, like sinking old ships as artificial reefs but then helping them along with threatened Great Barrier Reef corals, etc.
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
eclipse
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby eclipse » Sat 04 May 2019, 01:20:00

All the more reason to Park it, Fence it, Ark it, Move it, Sign it, Monetise it, Patrol it and Terminate it!
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/repair/
eclipse
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 07 May 2019, 08:27:14

There is very little “information” on the internet. Once you start trying to look up some specifics you find the depth of ignorance. I recommend reading, especially older books, of different times. It gives a different perspective, not of the echo chamber.

A good place to start is with HG Wells “Outline of History”. I think it’s even available as a free download.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 24 May 2019, 04:48:48

There seems to be a consensus that humanity, or at least Western cultures, have lost brain processing power over the last 20 generations or so.

I’d die a quick google on the following phrase, too many articles to quickly summarize.

humanity.getting dumber

(And a couple of provocative quotes)

You might first wonder if it's genetic. Maybe some change in the makeup of a particular group being studied has caused the decline (crudely, you could call this the 'dumb people have more babies' hypothesis). But that seems to be ruled out by the new research, which shows that even within single families IQ has declined. Marginal Revolution blogger economist Tyler Cowen sums up what that means: "In other words, we have started building a more stupidity-inducing environment."

In an article called Our Fragile Intellect, Crabtree argued that human intellectual fitness has been on a slow but steady decay for 3,000 years, and it is due to our relatively easy lifestyle that has freed us from a state of 'survival by thinking.'
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 24 May 2019, 13:00:36

And as our brains get smaller and dumber, our sperm is getting weaker and less able to swim!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... s-research

Sperm counts are on the decline – could plastics be to blame?

Research suggests that sperm counts have dropped by half in the last 50 years or so and that a higher percentage are poor swimmers.

A recent study that tested both men and dogs added to concerns that chemicals in the environment are damaging the quality and quantity of sperm
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 24 May 2019, 15:43:15

In a perverse way that’s good news, limiting our ability to reproduce. Just too slow.

Now WHAT we reproduce is another matter.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 24 May 2019, 16:10:07

Yeah, fewer and fewer guys will have this kind of elated response to knocking up a woman...and yes, that's mostly a good thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBZDrUEYYo
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 24 May 2019, 17:36:36

I like the theory that the decrease in human brain size in the late Pleistocene occurred because humans domesticated dogs. Once primitive man delegated to dogs the job of tracking animals by smell, then those parts of the human brain dedicated to deciphering smells were no longer necessary and the human brain shrunk.

I fully expect the same king of thing to happen again now that we've got cell phones. The parts of our brain dedicated to navigating and answering trivia questions can be replaced by Siri on a cell phone, so those parts of the modern human brain are now superfluous and will eventually disappear in future generations.

the evolution of homo cellphonus
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 25 May 2019, 07:25:55

Plantagenet wrote:I like the theory that the decrease in human brain size in the late Pleistocene occurred because humans domesticated dogs. Once primitive man delegated to dogs the job of tracking animals by smell, then those parts of the human brain dedicated to deciphering smells were no longer necessary and the human brain shrunk.

I fully expect the same king of thing to happen again now that we've got cell phones. The parts of our brain dedicated to navigating and answering trivia questions can be replaced by Siri on a cell phone, so those parts of the modern human brain are now superfluous and will eventually disappear in future generations.

You know when you see the same loss of skills across a suite of human activity that something deeper is going on here. In addition to the lower IQ that is emerging we see announcements like how the new crop of surgeons are less skilled in dexterity because of how much time they are in front of digital screens

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-46019429

Roger Kneebone, professor of surgical education at Imperial College, London, says young people have so little experience of craft skills that they struggle with anything practical.

"It is important and an increasingly urgent issue," says Prof Kneebone, who warns medical students might have high academic grades but cannot cut or sew.

"It is a concern of mine and my scientific colleagues that whereas in the past you could make the assumption that students would leave school able to do certain practical things - cutting things out, making things - that is no longer the case," says Prof Kneebone.

I also notice this with many of our general ecotourists who do not have a history of being much in nature. They are incredibly clueless in the forest when we guide them. They have this non specific interest in nature from a more cerebral "idea" and then when we take them into the forest it is like hand holding them. Their love of nature was born more of watching BBC or national geogrpahic nature documentaries on TV or the internet. We have gotten to the point that we bring laser pointers with us to point out where the bird or monkey is. And sense of orientation is often completely lacking. These are fundamental skills most children learn playing in the fields and forests of their youth that you can see is totally lacking.

This degradation has been going on for generations but the introduction and integration of the digital world has only enhanced and accelerated with degradation.

KJ sees these degradations as the price you pay for being part f this new digital hive mind. I on the other hand see this degradation as de evolution.

There is something almost karmic, that exactly when humans will need to be sharpening their skills as a result of the upcoming constraints which will require more self reliance we see an emerging crop of humans that are all like babes in the woods as dependent on modern technology as GMO corn is dependent on industrial agriculture.

Reminds me of the famous proverb that we are what we eat!!

This is a deep deep irony.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate