Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Whats going on in United States?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Whats going on in United States?

Unread postby lpetrich » Wed 01 May 2019, 11:58:43

Baby boomers caused millennials' destructive spending habits - Business Insider
It's a long list of things that milliennials have supposedly killed or are supposedly in the process of killing.

The golf business, retailers, the movie business, Home Depot, relationships, running, wine, McDonald's, manners, paper napkins, cars, crowdfunding, credit, houses, Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebee's, diamonds, ...

Also, the US birthrate has become remarkably low, meaning that millennials are seemingly killing procreation also.

Why?
"I think we have got a very significant psychological scar from this great recession," Morgan Stanley analyst Kimberly Greenberger told Business Insider. "One in every five households at the time were severely negatively impacted by that event. And, if you think about the children in that house and how the length and depth of that recession really impacted people, I think you have an entire generation with permanently changed spending habits."

Seven in 10 students graduate from college with student loan debt, owing an average of over $30,000, according to the Institute for College Access and Success — and that's ignoring the massive debt of students who took out loans but did not graduate. As student-loan debt has skyrocketed, income — both for graduates and millennials who haven't attended college — has failed to substantially increase.

With these economic burdens, it is difficult for millennials to save money. Thirty-one percent of "young millennials," ages 18 to 24, and 33% of "older millennials," ages 25 to 34, don't have any money in their savings account, according to GOBankingRates.

Thus making it difficult to afford houses and cars and children -- and making things like avocado toast seem like much more worthwhile investments. If anything, such things are much cheaper. Those who moan and groan about people having children that they can't afford should ask themselves about the consequences of getting what they want: a low birthrate.

More generally, people who moan and groan about other people not saving enough money should be willing to accept the consequences of that happening: major industries in major decline become of insufficient consumer spending to support them.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 01 May 2019, 12:32:00

IMHO that’s a good thing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 01 May 2019, 13:32:20

Another thing that is happening is that those who worship individual rights to such an extent that they believe they can ignore other's rights have gone just about as far as they can with that.The importance of learning to take one's turn when it comes, and wait for other's to take theirs, is becoming evident. Right now, that's happening among slivers of the true larger in group which is the citizenry of the US. The in group is expanding. It's beginning to take in those who are too slow or not greedy enough. It's starting doing that within itself. We've always let the weak go their own way before. It's causing all kinds of problems for those who've always been able to step out and take what they want. They feel their positions undermined, for some reason. As a result, there are all kinds of limitations being proposed, such as immigration reforms, to limit the expansion of the group. They see it as a problem from the outside. Really, it is a problem that surrounds the role of privilege in the interpretation of rights, and who has rights, but is left out of power.

No one has yet proposed an in group that includes all people, whether they are citizens of the US or not, taking the onus away from in group politics as they apply to only those who "make" it. Those who worship their own individual rights don't want that. Some don't want it because their positions are relative, and they need the poor and the lame to define where they are. Others don't want it for moral reasons. They can't imagine a world where people don't earn what they've gotten. They see moral hazard in that, of the kind that destabilizes markets. Others can't believe in the masses coming to a place of leading themselves. Those people are very like those who can't accept it because they see themselves as better than the masses. At any rate, the US has always been at the forefront of defining how a person can be both legally and socially free, as more people have come to enjoy that status. It is still doing that.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 01 May 2019, 19:00:06

Evil,

How do you have an “in group” that is all inclusive?

[country]Definition of country (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : an indefinite usually extended expanse of land : REGION
miles of open country
2a : the land of a person's birth, residence, or citizenship
left their country for America
b : a political state or nation or its territory
the country of Italy
3a : the people of a state or district : POPULACE
Most of the country voted to end the death penalty.
b : JURY
c : ELECTORATE sense 2
The government will go to the country with this issue.[/quote]

The very definition of a country is that it is an “in group” composed of the citizens and within a geographic border.

What you seem to be advocating is a single world government with no borders.

It may (or may not) be a nice idea but it seems rather far fetched at this point.

Or did I misunderstand you?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 01 May 2019, 20:56:04

You haven't looked at your main bias, that of the country as a means to bring order. What I was getting at is seeing mankind as the in group, not an otherwise derived selection of people. I mean, how does man succeed? Don't we do it mostly by seeing others fail, and then pretending we wouldn't, and then claiming our shit doesn't stink? We can rid ourselves of our inability to forgive each other, to put those who teach us outside of our group. The biggest questions are not who deserves what, but how do we decide where our norms come from. Sometimes the group makes certain decisions about whose turn it is in a situation at any particular time. This has an impact upon the group's perception of morality. Another group might decide differently. Those things are often seen as, and can be, universal, but they aren't always. The Constitution of the United States is intriguing. It may contain an answer to this question because it has held up well under the expansion of suffrage we have seen so far.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 02 May 2019, 09:04:01

Evil,

Thanks for the explanation. I think you are vastly over reaching our capabilities but at least I know better where you are coming from.

Along the lines of your argument I would like to see the “in group” be expanded to include “the others.” The flora and fauna that otherwise have no representation in our deliberations. To limit it to just humans would likely assure a environmental catastrophe. Which is where we are headed anyway.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 02 May 2019, 09:32:13

Newfie wrote:Evil,

Thanks for the explanation. I think you are vastly over reaching our capabilities but at least I know better where you are coming from.

Along the lines of your argument I would like to see the “in group” be expanded to include “the others.” The flora and fauna that otherwise have no representation in our deliberations. To limit it to just humans would likely assure a environmental catastrophe. Which is where we are headed anyway.

+1
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 03 May 2019, 09:47:55

The present low rate of graduation from university level studies, the effects this has on subsequent employment and income earnings, are pretty much as they have always been. When I graduated in the 1970s, a simple undergraduate degree added somewhat over a million dollars of earnings in average over the career of an individual. Things are different today, with the equivalent figure being between two and a half to three million dollars. Then as today, about 40-45% of the freshmen who studied actual technical or STEM curriculae eventually acquired a diploma. (Admittedly, some transfer to and graduate from less demanding "professions" than STEM.) Which unfortunately is not enough to fuel the engine of modern American technological commerce.

Many would like to deny this. However the USA retains the one feature that distinguishes it from all other large countries, which would be approximately 250 million people with Middle Class incomes and expectations. Some of us stayed in the fray, and got the degree, and had the professional career, and observed that things pretty much stayed the same as the World changed.

In truth, Hispanic culture has taken over the MidWest. I observed large numbers of Spanish and Portuguese speaking peoples laboring on the corporate farms in Wisconsin during my recent house hunt in the area. There are also sizable numbers of Asians in the towns and villages. All are pursuing Middle Class lifestyles and incomes. This phenomenon is not new, but the sheer degree of it is surprising to me, having been living away from the MidWest for 40+ years.

Silicon Valley is also undergoing a similar change. My former neighborhood was always a rainbow of skin tones and cultures, but unless my estimate is off, the total number of my neighbors is now dominated by Southern Asians from India and two sizable contingents of Chinese and Indonesians. The Indonesians appear to be 100% Muslim, the Indians are primarily Hindu, and if the Chinese practice any faith it is not apparent. Some years ago the Catholic Church on the corner gave up it's last English language Mass, due to low attendance - but still has such in both Spanish and Portuguese. Meanwhile, the three groups that are shrinking in numbers are 1) Whites, 2) Hispanics, and 3) Blacks.

Pardon me for being so blunt, but we are employing immigrants in increasingly high numbers in each area. Meanwhile the same 40-45% are graduating from STEM curriculae in US colleges and universities, not nearly enough. Most of the dropouts are enjoying Blue Collar jobs, too bad they wasted a year or two years first.

Note that I sold my Silicon Valley home in March for just short of a million dollars, to two nice first time Hindu home buyers. He is an EE working for Intel, she is an Accountant as was my wife. What each of them makes to qualify for such a mortgage I have no idea, I'm sure it would only depress me know the details. We got no less than eight offers in the first three days on the market, and all were above our asking price. The winning bid was more than a hundred grand above our asking figure - and we had a genius of a realtor who explained that the actual most critical factor was that we set the price LOW ENOUGH. Which we did, after spending approximately 50 thousand dollars on a cosmetic remodel and landscaping. (For those of you following along, we chose the plastic lawn and efficient drip irrigation for the relative few real plants. This was the exact correct choice to attract a buyer with high income and low aspirations for maintenance.)

As long as the USA can attract the talent it needs to turn the wheels of our economy, the USA will remain at the top of the heap as a desirable place to live. Here on Nantucket, there is a new underclass of Jamaicans. I mean, there have always been minorities here, mainly of African extraction, dating back to the colonial days of the 1600s, but today there are large numbers of Jamaicans, and for the first time, racial unrest and actual acts of hate and discrimination are apparent to all, even me. The wife is blown away by this, the island was formerly one of the few places that skin color truly did not matter, but those values have been lost over the last four decades. Let me make a sad and true observation - it was not the native islanders that caused this change, rather a huge influx of hurricane-displaced brown skinned Jamaicans who came with expectations of discrimination, and a ready resentment of those with white skins.

The recent college admissions scandal did not surprise me. I competed with many, many "engineers" who could not design an exit scheme for a cardboard box, were they inside. They had BSEEs and MBAs, and were confidently expecting to soon be managers. It came as a rude shock to them to find out that one had to be a successful technical leader on several successful projects to become a manager. In truth I never mastered spreadsheets that well, because I could always ask my wife for help on department budgets. They could not however manage engineers whose work they did not follow or whose skills they did not share. My employers were keeping score, those whose products sold the most were promoted - a fair standard I struggled with and met with moderate success.

Those who bought their way into colleges for their underacheiving offspring will soon find that they wasted their money. The practice has always been common within Ivy League schools, of course. But unless one can impart a work ethic to your offspring, they too will fail, despite technical expertise.

Now for the bitter truth. We are already past peak for many many resources on this Earth. Nor is there even enough STUFF on the whole planet to give any semblance of a US-style Middle Class lifestyle for most of those 7.7+ Billion humans. The present lifestyle improvements that are ongoing are simply the decining curve of the huge productivity improvement brought about by digital technology in recent decades. However, the labor side of the US Middle Class lifestyle as a whole is being sustained by immigrants, some with college degrees, and some with strong backs. I confidently predict that both China and India will NEVER come to rival the USA, even though they aspire to do so. China recently surpassed the USA as the #1 petroleum consumer - but China has between 3.5X and 4X the population of the USA.

Note that I am not arguing that Americans are any happier than other nations. I accept at face value the statements of Ibon and others that they live among happy people outside the USA. Indeed, I think that wanting more than one has is essential, a part of the formula for success. I see no reason that the attraction this country has for many outside our borders should not continue, and our Middle Class should not continue to swell. I also believe these forces will continue to act as resources dwindle - the USA will in my estimation be the last country to enter the resource decline, and in the end, will either succeed or fail in transforming itself before such a decline into a low energy, Greener lifestyle. Sadly, Trump's much-maligned wall will eventually be required, before we run low on "stuff".

Despite all media reports to the contrary.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 05 May 2019, 10:14:58

My part of the US has grown tremendously over the last few decades. Infrastructure hasn't kept up. My state doesn't want to pay taxes, so that's not likely to improve. I was just talking to a friend of mine. Both of us said we would consider moving. I like that in the US, first of all, you can move pretty much anywhere and have expectations about the experience that are based upon our common understandings about rights and norms in society. I'm not so happy with some long-term trends. I've griped about wages in several places on this site. I think that's a major consideration when looking at America. Over the long-term there has been what I guess you could call a capitalist victory. Within the bargaining position for pay, if there is one, power has changed. It has gone back to, or nearly back to, where it was before unionization rose up as a major component of American life. I think this is evidenced by how, in the current situation, unemployment is so low, and, yet, wages are not rising.

This state of things with employment has a corollary in women's rights. Specifically, worker's rights and feminism share the same sort of grand acquiescence to the general principles, but rejection of involvement or willingness to adopt either the definition or lifestyle for one's self. Nobody wants to be labeled as either a feminist or a member of a union. Insofar as work is concerned this has set up a certain level of expectation that people have about their rights in the workplace, which they just assume will always be so. Nobody wants to join a union. Neither do they wish for their workplace to be unionized. But they, almost universally, expect the "rights" that the union movement brought to the workplace in the Twentieth Century.

You know, I don't think that is too strange. Capitalism has a lot of good things to say for itself. Perhaps the number one thing it has to say is about the importance of the individual. I get on with that. I think you have to always remember that workers only organized when they realized that as individuals they couldn't get what they wanted. They didn't organize out of a collective fascination, but for individual reasons. The thing I'm trying to gripe about is not something born from a desire to make the haves share with the have nots. I'm not critiquing America based upon how much it doesn't share the spoils. I'm saying something about the suffrage. And I don't mean the right to vote as much as the right to participate. It's about more than the ability to get one's foot in the door, although the extension of my argument would bring it, eventually, to that place.

I suppose I'm talking about class struggle. Americans don't have much of an eye toward recognizing class. If they do acknowledge it, they consider it as socio-economic. They consider that class is based upon how much one makes. I think it has more to do with how much one is able to see those around them for who they are, but who am I to say? Incidentally, this definition doesn't have room for allowing people to prioritize their own personal orientation toward one thing or another above that of the collective any more than it promotes those at the top of the centralized organizations to some place of primacy.

At any rate, there is this adherence to individual rights in America, which is not a bad thing all by itself. The problem arises when we see class as income based and exclusive. Kaiser was talking about how many middle class people the US retains. I would argue that there remain many middle class people within the US, but not so many as that. I think the centralizing nature of corporate organization has risen to the fore, and undermined our identities, even as, taken as a whole, the numbers of people adhering to the philosophy is at an all time high.

The country has pocketed the ideas about how we should treat each other, and come to expect them, that unionization brought about, but has embraced capitalism as the driving philosophy. What this has created, however, is an expectation that those at the top of the centralized organizations will act accordingly. To a degree they have, as they have acted to exploit the situation. Oddly, this has often brought about a cheering section composed of those being exploited. Acceptance of the philosophy has caused most people to see themselves as potential CEO's, not as potential workers. I think this, more than anything, has contributed to the state of economic inequality that has come to dominate modern America. There have been many developments, such as the petro dollar and the reorganization of the banking system away from a locally based system to a global one, that have also contributed to this, but at the heart of it, there lies the way that people see themselves.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 05 May 2019, 11:02:13

Thank you Evil Genius. You give us much to consider as we search our collective soul for what it all means.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 05 May 2019, 11:41:28

With respect, your criteria for determining societal class are entirely subjective and not at all well defined. Please either add words to that definition or utilize the conventional income-based definitions in future posts, to avoid confusion.

This country is awash in well-off, Middle Class people. I was the oldest of six kids who had an enlisted military man as the only wage earner, and a Mother who provided child care for six kids whose ages spread across sixteen years. We had fewer possessions than anyone we lived among wherever we lived, but enough to eat. Eventually he became a Warrant Officer and owned his own home, then an RV - true Middle Class splendor in the MidWest.

But I paid for my own education and worked into a six figure income in an area where the cost of living is very high - Silicon Valley. We paid off our mortgage and lived a comfortable handful of years without a house payment, then recently sold that home and will be soon sheltering some of that money with another home purchased for cash. Labor unions are unknown in the Silly Valley - I was in direct competition with about 50,000 other engineers in what became the 4th largest tech firm in the World.

Meanwhile the wife inherited her Mother's house on Nantucket, another area with an insanely high cost of living. But this was her parents retirement home in a quiet Mid-Island pine forest after he passed his trucking business to his son, who lives nearby, seperated from us by my Nephew's small cottage. Maybe someday the town will pave the dirt road. But what we inherited, and the trucking business my Brother in Law inherited, were earned with decades of labor by my Father in Law.

Upward mobility is what I am trying to communicate. Both mine and the wife's families were lower middle class and worked their way into middle middle. Now me and spouse are somewhere in the upper middle class after decades of labor by both of us - although having an accountant spouse helps a lot. But there are not many places in the World where one can do this, the USA is the largest one.

I also think that you also aspire to more than you have, although you may be reluctant to admit it. But in fact there is nothing wrong with such aspirations, they are a necessary part of success. In spite of the bit of frustration I heard in your exposition, the USA remains the envy of the World, the largest country with the most well-off citizens. The income stats are distorted by a very few ultra wealthy we typically refer to as the 1% - although the 0.01% is closer to the truth. Take comfort in the fact that studies show that such people are not very happy, and most work themselves to death without ever retiring.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 05 May 2019, 12:46:51

KaiserJeep,
You're correct that us baby boomers got the best deal on upward mobility of any generation before us. But, after us, I don't think that is the case anymore, as if we are closing the door on any newcomers. Obviously, if you made it in, you inherited from parents, you got it made. You're children, however, will be relying upon you for their upward mobility. Basically, we have created a winner-take-all society, which philosophically, we seem to have bought into, as Evil Genius explains. I think it has been described as Casino Capitalism.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 05 May 2019, 13:58:26

But that is NOT the life lesson I learned over the decades. Rather it is that hard work and persistence pay off in spades.

You have to buckle down and get the college degree for a STEM career. That is not for everyone, but that IS where the bucks are unless you want your own business. This probably means going into debt, because I did so in the 1970s, even with a wife who worked full time in retail sales, the original GI Bill for living expenses, and the reduced tuition of a military veteran attending a state university. You pay off your debts as quickly as possible, then you go on. I realize that tuition has increased in the present world, but so have wages, and by like percentages - and you should not attempt to borrow enough to attend an Ivy League school, or even an upper crust private university. I was no superstar, I struggled to keep a "B" average at a state school, and knew without asking that I was no candidate for post graduate studies. But I could use what I knew to design better computers than some who had much better educations from more prestigious schools, which my employer rewarded.

In today's world, that undergraduate degree earns 2.5 to 3 million extra $. It is, without any doubt, worth it, as difficult as one must struggle for that credential. You can make it without the degree if you are good at marketing or sales, or can write code, or a few other ways. But the undergrad degree opens doors.

Beyond education, one must practice sound economics and a reasonable lifestyle. I rented while saving up for a downpayment on a home I bought 4 years after graduation. My Silicon Valley home was my third home, because I was willing to move twice at my employer's request. You typically cannot pursue a professional career in your home town.

There are relatively few places where this is even possible. In the USA, an average person like me can do this. Even today this can be done here, although it gets more difficult as time passes. It never was EASY.

As for the possibilities open for immigrants, I earlier described the many Hispanics and Asians I found in the MidWest. Some read very poorly, few completed school, all enjoy success commensurate with the effort they put into their jobs. Even when those jobs are on corporate farms, and involve both manure and toxic petrochemicals - their kids will enjoy better opportunities in the USA than did they themselves.

BTW, I currently have established not one but two Trusts for my kid and grandkids, because state laws differ and we will shortly own real estate again in two states, so one must be redone for Wisconsin versus California. I will ensure that my family and descendants have what it took decades to pay for, free and clear of debt. It is up to you to do the same for your kids.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 05 May 2019, 15:06:22

Frugality is all the easier to practice when you have certain goals and values that take priority over the cultural message of consumption.

KJ's points were all valid in terms of hard work and financial responsibility. I would add something counter intuitive. Do not over harness yourself to this idea that staying on a career path is the most effective way to progress. When the track is all you know you cant get off of it or worse ,you are too scared to.

I extended my adolescence for example into my late 20's after graduating from the university. Years of doing wilderness trips and travel, hitchhiking many times across the US, dipping down into Mexico and volunteering in an orphanage. John Steinbeck years living an almost hobo life. How many bridges did I sleep under in my 20's while hitchhiking, cozy in my sleeping bag as massive steel semis roared overhead. Those years taught me street smarts, those years enriched my soul in mother nature, those years gave me an important distance and separation from consensus reality so that when I did afterwards progress in my career and entered corporate business I was in it but not of it.

Most of all, those early years of risk taking gave me the courage to exit the world of commerce at 49 and returning to my love of the natural world doing what I am doing now.

To emphasize KJ's point, none of that would have been possible without hard work and frugality.

Also a healthy disdain for consumption culture which those years in the wilderness also embedded.

If the world had the consumer habits I developed years ago there would be no shopping malls :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 09 May 2019, 09:55:07

The Internet culture has several downsides, but the worst of them is the desire for instant - or at the very least, relatively short term - gratification and career success. If you want that upward mobility, you have to work at it for years if not decades. That is simply how long it takes, unless you are an extraordinary individual with the ability to earn high income at an out-of-the-ordinary job.

Folks, there are people who acheive all their goals in life and are still 30-something years old. But those folks either have exceptional personal abilities or are fortunate enough to experience exceptional opportunities that rarely occur to most folks. I mean, get a clue - if you are chasing dreams and have a new dream every one to three years, you are not one of the exceptions, you are the normal and average type who has to work long term while slowly accumulating part of your earnings.

Timing is also important. I lost half the value of my major asset (my home in Silicon Valley) in the real estate bubble of 2008. That I did not also lose half of my retirement savings is only because I had parked all of my money in the "Guaranteed Value Fund", the one with the lowest yield and the vital insurance policy that ensured that the balance never shrank. At that point, all the people who had laughed at my ultra-conservative investment choice abruptly quit laughing.

The home itself declined from about $650K to about $300K over the span of a few months, losing most of the previous two decades of appreciation. Yet this is Silly Valley, home of Internet tech and startups, and only 10 years after that, the same home, nicely fixed up, sold for almost a million.

Note that I did one foolish thing the last 25 years I lived there, and I knew it was foolish, but I did it anyway. When earthquake insurance coverage became unaffordable after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, I dropped it from my policy. Then I lived in that house another 30 years, knowing all too well that if an earthquake destroyed the structure, I would probably end up in a FEMA trailer. But in retrospect I made the right decision there as well, because there was no way to afford such insurance, and today almost no one has such - and the probability of a large quake over a three decade period was rather low, compared to weather related disasters such as hurricanes and tornadoes.

One friend who had cashed in 10% of his stock portfolio holdings and made a down payment on a beautiful sailboat (Nautor Swan) and who was sailing to Hawaii when the meltdown happened, was met at the dock by his creditors, who took his boat and told him the rest of his money had gone away in margin calls during his ocean voyage, when he didn't communicate with his broker. He sold pot for a while, but they legalized that, now he drives an Uber - but he had been fairly well off for a couple of years, and can still comfort himself with that thought by driving by his former home, although now at age 62 he again has three roommates, no family to come home to, and an ex-wife who will not speak to him (she paid the child support).

Speaking of which, selecting the right spouse is one of the most important financial decisions you will ever make. I don't want to belabor this point, and in any case if you have already made this mistake, you understand only too well what I am talking about.

In the end, it's all about the choices one makes in life. My Conservative values have led me to make mine, and these served me well, as I think they do for most people. Perhaps you have a different personal counterpoint, a life story where being a "Progressive" brought about both extreme satisfaction and personal fortune?

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 08 Jul 2019, 16:25:56

This might explain a lot.

In the study, three economists, Ruben Durante, Paolo Pinotti, and Andrea Tesei, were able to provide strong evidence for a shocking set of conclusions: Watching a lot of entertainment TV does seem to have an adverse impact on your intelligence. And it also makes you more likely to vote for populist parties.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... st/593287/

Reminds me of that other book, Amusing Ourselves to Death

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing ... s_to_Death
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 14 Jul 2019, 07:48:08

It seems others are pondering a similar set of questions as their topic.

But it is unquestionably the political system that weighs heaviest on American minds. The partisan polarization of American legislative bodies and the public is well documented. The Pew Research Center has carefully tracked this growing ideological divide, which has pitted citizen against citizen, and in many cases, families against each other. One-third of Republicans and Democrats believe members of the other party are “a threat to the nation’s well being.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEE ... id=CA%3Aen
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to North America Discussion