Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Deluge Thread (merged)

Re: Deluge Thread 2018

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 00:55:12

Fifty-six million years ago, the Pyrenees were being formed, and their foothills were traversed by small isolated channels in a floodplain where they deposited highly fertile alluvium, promoting the development of vegetation whose roots would anchor the soil. Leaving the Pyrenean piedmont, these small rivers then headed west into the Atlantic, which was then only about 30 kilometres away.

"With global warming, the landscape changed completely. The channel-forming floods, which occur on average every two to three years and whose flow we have been able to measure, went up to 14 times greater than before when the climate was cooler," explains Sébastien Castelltort. During the PETM, rivers constantly changed course, they no longer adapted to increased discharge by incising their bed, but instead, they widened, sometimes dramatically, from 15 to 160 meters wide in the most extreme case. Instead of being trapped in the floodplains, the alluvium was transferred directly toward the ocean, and the vegetation seemed to disappear. The landscape turned into arid extensive gravel plains, crossed by ephemeral and torrential rivers.

and
Co-author Professor Rich Pancost from Bristol's School of Earth Sciences, explained how these findings agree with a range of geological and chemical features of the Palaeocene-Eocene global warming.

He said: "This warming event is associated with major changes in how soil and sediment were eroded and moved around the landscape.

"In many places, river systems that had been transporting silt or sand became associated with fist-sized rocks or even boulders; and more sediment was transported to and buried in coastal margins. In some locations, the rate of sediment accumulation increased by a factor of ten. But at the same time, there is also evidence that these systems became more arid.

"Our climate simulations reconcile this for many locations, showing an increase in aridity with fewer but more intense rainfall events. Those events were likely responsible for increased energy in these systems, moving around more material and larger objects. Ultimately it flushed more sediment to the ocean, causing eutrophication, blooms of algae and in some cases hypoxia."
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 02:45:12

Millions More Americans Face Flood Risks Than Previously Thought

https://eos.org/opinions/millions-more- ... ly-thought

A New Approach to Calculating the 100-Year Floodplain

Over the past 5 years, researchers across the globe have started to develop a set of these alternative top-down approaches to flood inundation modeling over vast areas, taking advantage of increasingly available large data sets and high-performance computing resources. These methods take available digital elevation models (DEMs), river hydrography, and gauging station data and use them to automatically create flood inundation models of whole regions, countries, or even the world.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 10 Oct 2018, 07:27:53

At least eight people including two Britons were killed as heavy rain and flash floods hit the Spanish island of Mallorca late on Tuesday, authorities said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-spai ... SKCN1MK0JQ
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 16 Oct 2018, 20:38:28

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpic ... 34740.html

At least 12 people have been killed in violent storms which lashed southwest France in some of the deadliest flooding in years.

Local authorities revised the official death toll downwards from the previous total of 13, which had earlier been issued by the interior ministry.

Two more people are still missing, with eight seriously injured.

President Emmanuel Macron offered "the sympathy and solidarity of the entire nation for the victims of the Aude flooding and their families".

The flooding swept away cars, gutted streets and battered buildings and bridges.

With so many roads being impassable, helicopters were deployed to rescue those who were still stranded.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 22:32:01

Venice Hit With Worst Flooding In A Decade As Tourists Wade Through Landmarks

The floodwaters have climbed to some 156 centimeters, or a little more than 5 feet, above normal, according to city statistics ― the highest recorded water level since December 2008. The tide is expected to be several feet above normal for much of this week, Venice officials said.

Italy is dealing with a spate of foul weather, and at least six people have been killed nationwide as flooding and heavy winds buffet the region, downing trees and causing widespread mayhem. Schools and popular tourist sites were also closed in Rome, including the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ve ... e6eecd163a
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 04:57:14

I’m in Venice right now.

I arrived just at the start of the Alta aqua event a couple of days ago. The trains were boogered up in NE Italy, with delays and cancellations, but I eventually made connections and rolled into Santa Lucia train station about 6 pm on an almost empty train. Outside the train station was a phalanxe of immigrants selling very flimsy little plastic bags to put over your feet. I got past them only to find the sidewalks were under about a foot of water. But wait! Venice puts up raised wooden walkways about two feet above the sidewalk during these events so I got on the wood walkway and made it to the first bridge over the Grand Canal. My hotel was on the other side so I started over.

Then the skies opened up and wind and rain hit. In a second I was sopped through, still dragging my bag up the bridge steps. Eventually I made it over but on the other side there were no walkways....just flooded sidewalks every where.

I was so cold and wet I ducked into a trattoria, and had something to eat and drink while I checked the map to see where my hotel was. But when I went back out the door the water had risen another foot, and was coming up quickly. I went back into the trattoria and changed into my shorts and teva sandals and started wading through the water, carrying my bag to keep it out of the water. After a bit I came to a church and climbed up the stairs out the water.

The shoppes all had little metal barriers about two feet high they put in their doors. You could step over but water also seeped in along the sides.

I pushed on into the water again, and eventually reached my hotel. The water by now was so high they had raised their barrier and put in a little metal staircase up and over the barrier and into the hotel lobby. About 3” of water in the lobby. All the tables and chairs were stacked up, the elevator was out of order, and the piano had been lifted up onto milk crates.

I went up to my room to warm up again, and then came down to photograph everything. I got some great shots of miserable people carrying their bags and complacent locals out for a stroll.

In the hotel people started playing the piano and singing show tunes. I got a beer and found a milk crate and took a seat by the window and sand every song from The Sound of Music with 10 other travelers. One person knew Dave Brubec jazz so he played that for a while.

All in all it was mostly exciting and grand. I had a wonderful time in the flood. It all felt a little bit like the Titantic with the water rising and people ignoring it to sing silly songs. Apparently it was the fourth highest flood event here ever. I’m still in Venice and another big aqua Alta event is predicted this evening.

Of course it wasn’t all fun. They shut down the water bus system, and people were stranded everywhere. Many people couldn’t get to their hotels and slept in the train station. Now I just hope it clears before tomorrow, when my train leaves. I do NOT want to carry my bags on my head again wading through the water with torrential rain beating down.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 07:02:04

PlAnt, do you know if they operated the flood gates at the Lido? I understand they would do no good for rain, but I thought the main bit of flooding was because of storm surge.

Ah, never mind, I looked it up. It seems the project has been built but not “completed” whatever that means. It sounds like they have tested the system but did whatever reason it has not been put into operation. In fact it was designed for just such events as this one. They are now saying 2020. With no definition of what needs to be done. Perhaps statue of limitations to run out?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 12:48:19

Newfie wrote:PlAnt, do you know if they operated the flood gates at the Lido? I understand they would do no good for rain, but I thought the main bit of flooding was because of storm surge.

Ah, never mind, I looked it up. It seems the project has been built but not “completed” whatever that means. It sounds like they have tested the system but did whatever reason it has not been put into operation. In fact it was designed for just such events as this one. They are now saying 2020. With no definition of what needs to be done. Perhaps statue of limitations to run out?

Yup. I also heard the barrier flood control project isn’t finished and may never be finished.

Last time I was in Venice the little wooden walkways to raise people above the flooded streets were elevated by about ten inches. Now they’ve got bigger walkways that elevate you about two feet above the sidewalk—-and those walkways were under water at the height of aqua Alta event.

The Venetians themselves were out walking around and doing the passegiata in their rubber hip boots during the flood, and when the waters went down they quickly mopped out the shoppes and wiped off the merchandise and re-opened for business. Pretty much everything was back to normal within 24 hours of the big flood.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 13:10:38

The residents of many towns and cities in Florida and other Gulf States seem to be developing similar attitudes about rising waters. Build with flood resistent materials, develope a plan for cleanup, and try to be the first one open after the flood.

I talked with many residents of Nantucket who are not so sanguine. Parts of the town date from the 1600s and are almost 400 years old. But last Winter the pounding surf in the harbor entered the storm sewers, which unfortunately are very old cast iron and corrugated steel, and are now seeing salt water corrosion. I saw videos of salt water spraying out of street drains on the cobblestoned streets with each driven wave. It seems unlikely that the lower elevation parts of Nantucket Town will ever reach 500 years of age.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 20:51:03

In the last four days in NW Ohio my rain gauge measured 3+5/8" rainfall. aka 92 mm of rainfall.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 22:42:05

Thanks for the info, Plant. Wow!

Stay safe!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 16 Dec 2018, 13:52:30

630 mm of rain in 24 hours.

https://watchers.news/2018/12/13/vietna ... mber-2018/

Similar to Houston like totals from Harvey. What do you do with 2 feet of rain?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 18 Dec 2018, 11:07:52

More rain due to climate change might not mean more water resources
A new study explains this paradox.

https://thinkprogress.org/climate-chang ... VEWR8FUFts
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 15:52:50

Amtrak treading water:

" Parts of Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor route, which carries 12 million people each year between Boston and Washington, face “continual inundation.” "

"Amtrak has since de-emphasized the threat of climate change in its public documents, even scrubbing the phrase entirely from its most recent five-year strategic plan."

"One of the redacted portions of the report is an analysis of the full costs and benefits of protecting the corridor against climate change, making it impossible to know if the company has determined it would save more money by keeping the corridor open than it would have to spend to save it. The disclosure of that information “could possibly cause public confusion,” ... "

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018 ... sea-level/

They be screwed.

(thanks to sidd at asif for link and text)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Sun 23 Dec 2018, 02:14:53

On property a service club I belong to has owned for the last 16 years in Landers California (about 14 miles north of Joshua Tree), I’ve noticed the recent demise of some very old Joshua Trees on the property. These were fairly large trees that I estimate, from reading what experts say, must have been 150 to 200 years old. The biggest one, behind the house on the property, is currently dying. All of them looked healthy when we acquired the property in 2002. These are trees that can take the extremes of freezing temperatures in winter, to 120F temperatures in summer.
I’ve noticed other Joshua’s in the area are also in decline. I’m currently trying to round up data for that area to see what climate changes may have occurred over this short period of time. Most of my friends in this association agree with me it seems to have gotten even dryer.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Deluge Thread 2019

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 03 Feb 2019, 23:55:51

20,000 homes feared lost in Australia floods as crocodiles, snakes wash up

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/03/australi ... index.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Nebraska Missouri River Flooding

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 15 Mar 2019, 15:06:53

"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Deluge Thread 2019

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 Apr 2019, 22:15:17

Excessive Rainfall as Damaging to Corn Yield as Extreme Heat, Drought
https://m.phys.org/news/2019-04-excessi ... treme.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Deluge Thread 2019

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 19 May 2019, 10:41:30

Why The U.S. Just Had Its Wettest 12-Month Stretch On Record

I am always careful when writing this type of piece because there is usually some contrarian hanging out on Twitter waiting to pounce on statements like “It’s the ______est year ever.” To avoid cliche trolling, it is important to use the word “on record.” With that out of the way, let’s discuss the U.S. experiencing its wettest 12-month stretch on record (in this case 1895 to 2019). Deke Arndt, a climatologist at NOAA’s National Center for Environmental Information (NCEI), tweeted:

In case you missed it, the last 12 months (May ’18 through Apr ’19) is the wettest 12-month stretch on record for the US. A warmer world turns up the hydrology dial. When we are sent the bill for climate change, it comes in the context of our water.

Here are the meteorological and climatological reasons why this likely happened as well as further explanation of the last sentence of Arndt’s Tweet.

NOAA
The graphic [below] shows how abnormally it was in the U.S. from May 2018 to April 2019, particularly in the upper Midwest and the eastern U.S. By the way, if you live in the region shaded orange-brown, resist the urge to say “but it was drier where I live” so climate change is a hoax. Your local experience doesn’t define the global experience.

Before I discuss climate connections, it is important to discuss meteorological connections first. The inevitable “it has always rained” or “climate changes naturally” is lurking in someone’s head right now. My placeholder response is that grass on your lawn grows naturally too, but it you put fertilizer on the soil, it grows differently. I will provide a more robust discussion later in the article.

Several places, including Washington, D.C, broke records for wettest 12-month stretch. Jason Samenow wrote an outstanding article in the Washington Post Capital Weather Gang explaining the meteorological context for the period. I summarize Samenow’s key points:

• A persistently high-pressure pattern east of the U.S. transported Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico moisture into the eastern half of the country.
• Another persistently high-pressure pattern near Alaska allowed storm-tracks to be directed into the upper Midwest and East by the jet stream
• Possible jet stream modifications due to the emerging El Nino (warm central Pacific sea surface temperatures). ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallsh ... on-record/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate