Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Where is everybody

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Where is everybody

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 16:11:33

looker/Ibon - You both understand the problem: a generally uneducated public being led by politicians more focused on their personal goals then dealing with reality. A reality that many of them don't understand in the first place. IMHO it's interesting to discuss possible "solutions" to our problems at sites like this. But I never lose sight of the impotency of society to make the necessary changes VOLUNTARIALLY. Changes will develop when they are FORCED upon the populace.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 17:43:46

Which is why I keep going back to “How do you prep for the bottleneck?”, because it’s coming. Maybe not my lifetime, but too soon.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 18:48:12

I think the best way to prep for the bottleneck is to recognize two realities.

(1) We don't know how the bottleneck will actually go down. We don't even know what will create the bottleneck....nuclear war? climate change? peak oil? Donald Trump? Zombies? We just don't know.

SO---We all make personal decisions about what we think we will happen and what we can do to prep for it.....these decisions lead some people to live off the grid, or build a doomsday bunker, or invest in solar cells and plant a garden.....but we don't really know what the best way to prepare might be. IMHO this means we should share our thoughts and ideas and plans, but getting on a high horse about how great your personal plan is and how dumb other people's plans are is just an ego trip and a waste of time.

(2) IMHO it is also very important to enjoy the heck out of your life now. For many people, a fear of peak oil or some other dystopian future leads them to cut corners and deprive themselves of a good life now. IMHO that is a bad idea. Its like people who save money for retirement and never have any fun.

A balanced approach requires both planning for the future AND living well for the present. A balanced life requires both.

Cheers! :) 8) :-D :razz:
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 18:57:22

Excellent post Plant, I aspire to be a guiding example for others to follow.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 13:08:04

ROCKMAN wrote:You both understand the problem: a generally uneducated public being led by politicians more focused on their personal goals then dealing with reality.

^^^ This is peakoil.com personified. Do as I say, not as I do.

I take it bad grammar is a sign of your precious Peak Oil Dynamic(TM)?

Plantagenet wrote:IMHO it is also very important to enjoy the heck out of your life now

Take another flight around the world while bashing politicians for inactivity on climate change? Great advice, Plant!

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby KrellEnergySource » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 13:42:23

I still check in every now and then. I still believe in the concept of peak oil (and peak coal, and peak biodiversity, and peak anything that is available as a 'resource' on our single home planet). I've never really expected these things to be imminent, but I have children and a grandchild, and you can't convince me these won't be growing issues in their lives.

Anyway, there has been a huge change in this site since the death of the oil drum site. Almost every forum post and almost every news post now devolve into rants and public personalized vendettas among a handful of posters, and there seems to be no effective moderation or enforcement of civility. In other words...it's reflective of what is becoming perfectly acceptable everywhere except face-to-face: ugly behavior.

I don't need or want that. I wanted a forum of like-minded indviduals concerned with resource depletion and the future. That's definitely no longer the case for this site, and I don't, as a member, don't see much of reason to surf over here anymore.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on "where is everybody". We've left.
KrellEnergySource
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 15:16:13

KrellEnergySource wrote:I still check in every now and then. I still believe in the concept of peak oil (and peak coal, and peak biodiversity, and peak anything that is available as a 'resource' on our single home planet). I've never really expected these things to be imminent, but I have children and a grandchild, and you can't convince me these won't be growing issues in their lives.

Anyway, there has been a huge change in this site since the death of the oil drum site. Almost every forum post and almost every news post now devolve into rants and public personalized vendettas among a handful of posters, and there seems to be no effective moderation or enforcement of civility. In other words...it's reflective of what is becoming perfectly acceptable everywhere except face-to-face: ugly behavior.

I don't need or want that. I wanted a forum of like-minded indviduals concerned with resource depletion and the future. That's definitely no longer the case for this site, and I don't, as a member, don't see much of reason to surf over here anymore.

Think through everything you posted and what you are looking for and then consider that what is degenerate is the venue itself not this particular site.

Trying to find meaning on a forum on line has become a futile endeavour. Forums act as filters where mostly socially dysfunctional people come to post.. or socially functional people come to be dysfunctional!!!!!
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 15:40:48

It should not be that way, but it is. If we kicked off every poster who violated the COC or who was routinely posting ad hominiums there would not be enough for a forum left. It seems that this kind of rough and insolent behavior is what folks want.

And yes many leave. Consider this, my Wife came across a poll today that said the majority of Americans were not aware of the Green New Deal. If true it’s astounding. (Sorry lost link) It means a vast number of Americans have tuned out of the discussion. Just like folks have left PO.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 17:39:48

Ibon wrote:Forums act as filters where mostly socially dysfunctional people come to post.. or socially functional people come to be dysfunctional!!!!!

LOL, word.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 19:17:22

KrellEnergySource wrote:
I don't need or want that. I wanted a forum of like-minded individuals concerned with resource depletion and the future. That's definitely no longer the case for this site, and I don't, as a member, don't see much of reason to surf over here anymore.

The problem with only talking with a group of "like mined individuals" is that pretty soon you run out of new things to talk about that haven't already been chewed over to death. Having some opposition gives you a challenge to come up with responses varying from snarky to inspired. Unfortunately a few posters here have degenerated to a daily spew of nonsense which some days outnumber all the other rational posts.
I don't have a solution but I do think if the forum survives long enough a increase in oil prices caused by a decline in world production will spike interest and bring back old hands that just occasionally check in plus a new drove of people wanting to know what to do about their new reality.
In the mean time US and world politics provide an ever changing list of topics to try to understand and to comment on.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 25 Mar 2019, 23:07:37

This place reminds me of a bunch of old guys who meet at McDonalds every morning to drink coffee, read the paper, and shoot the bull. Occasionally one of the old guys get mad and stomps out, but usually they just sit and chat and laugh once in a while......

Hahahahaha! Remember when ol' Pops used to get so mad when ever anybody made fun of Obama?
Yeah! ..... and then Cid Yama, that crazy SOB, swore up and down that Trump was a Russian agent and Mueller would impeach him
Hahahahah!
And how about all those arguments over peak oil! Gosh...those were the good old days, weren't they?!?!?!?
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 26 Mar 2019, 01:56:20

The Mc Ds 'nearest the local VA hospital has a seasoned citizen group that is mostly Vets wearing unit and ship caps. The WW2 caps are about all gone but the Vietnam vets are still coming in after their appointments up at the VA. The staff treat them like royalty.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 26 Mar 2019, 03:47:24

In Canada it’s Tims.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 26 Mar 2019, 10:32:09

In our small town here in Panama its the town square under the shade of Jacaranda trees where the old men gather.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion