Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bill Weld to Primary Trump

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Bill Weld to Primary Trump

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 21 Feb 2019, 06:32:26

Maybe foaming at the mouth?
I'm hoping for a fiscal conservative with administrative experience and talent who is not a religious zealot. Someone that would appeal to the broad range of voters in the center that just want the job done properly without daily scandals and gaffs.
Is that too much to ask? Out of 325 million people there ought to be a couple of dozen.
Of course many of those capable of the job are also smart enough to realize it is a meat grinder of a job for both them and their families.
The Republican party should not cede control of their future to Trump without at least having a public debate between alternatives.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Thu 21 Feb 2019, 07:49:05

Its not enough that a guy has good ideas. He has to motivate and inspire people to vote for him. Trump does that. He still draws tens of thousands to his rallies two years after the election. I can think of all sorts of Republican governors and ex-governors who would meet your criteria. Scott Walker comes to mind. But they can't beat a Democrat since they don't energize the Republican base. Just like this guy Weld. From what little I know of him, he is a moderate Republican from an eastern state. But moderation is out of vogue and probably for good. We are at war with the Democrat party which has went far left. One side or the other must prevail.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 21 Feb 2019, 17:05:27

We will not know how "energizing" a candidate can be until they announce and make some public appearances.
To think that Trump is the only GOP option going into 2020 is to set themselves up for a major defeat.
The GOP voters deserve to have the opportunity to choose between several candidates to oppose whoever wins the Democrat nomination.
My personal opinion is that the GOP would be stupid to run Trump again and that any competent alternative would stand a better chance of winning and be better for our countries future.
Of course my personal opinion is not a highly sought out source of wisdom and receives little notice in the news media. :(
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Thu 21 Feb 2019, 19:07:32

The GOP didn't pick Trump in 2016, the voters did. Just like we are going to pick him again.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 22 Feb 2019, 04:21:44

Cog wrote:The GOP didn't pick Trump in 2016, the voters did. Just like we are going to pick him again.

Yes the voters picked Trump. It remains to be seen if they will pick him again. I would not be surprised to see between one and four GOP candidates announce between July forth and Labor day. A lot depends on Mueller's report and other events between now and July.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to North America Discussion