Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Where is everybody

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Where is everybody

Unread postby JimBof » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 03:38:42

There have been so few posts since Christmas that I was wondering if a fatal virus had been released to most members because of global warming and the associated big freeze up north. Here in Brisbane Australia we have just had over 36 days of +30 degrees heat setting a new record. North of us Townsville has been flooded with 1.5 Metres of rain. Some nearby areas have had over 2 M. One town had 500 MM in 12 hours. Water heading north has swollen a river to 60 Km wide. The estimate is over 1/2 million cattle dead. Is this weather or climate?
JimBof
Peat
Peat

Re: Where is everybody

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 08:21:26

JimBof wrote: Is this weather or climate?

Here in the cloud forests of Panama we have not had a drop of rain since November. Driest conditions I have witnessed in 10 years. The old timers remember this having happened a couple times in the past but it is concerning as we watch to the heavens daily hoping for rain.....
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 12:50:32

Every second of weather everywhere on the planet is now being affected by ciimate change. Just about everywhere we are seeing odd and anomalous weather. This is caused by the atmosphere being warmer then ever before, and the wind and humidity and heat capacity and temperature cycles being different then ever before in recorded history.

Up here in central Alaska we are having a record warm winter with little snow. The first part of the winter was warmer because the Chuckchi Sea and Arctic Ocean froze over much later then usual, leaving warm open water all around Alaska. Now our warm weather is being caused by intrusions of warm wet air into the Arctic from the Pacific.

Everything is changing everywhere. And it will continue to change to something even more bizarre as the planet continues to warm.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 13:18:45

This is the second wettest year in California since I came here in 1986. We just finished the wettest week I can remember including one of the approximately six hailstorms I can recall since I arrived. We have had storm fronts lashing through and I have twice a day gone out back and groomed the plastic grass of tree droppings for the last 3 days.

This is all happening as we are having open house to sell the California place. Today we have two groups of lookers coming back for second tours. If any have cash I could be out of here in a month.

In view of the storms, the decision to go with plastic grass was the correct one. Most comments seem to agree that water conservation is a major concern. Me, I'm just glad the gutters are open, I'm raking the bark chips back in the plannting beds as the rain washes them away.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 15:05:34

Ibon wrote:

Here in the cloud forests of Panama we have not had a drop of rain since November. Driest conditions I have witnessed in 10 years. The old timers remember this having happened a couple times in the past but it is concerning as we watch to the heavens daily hoping for rain.....

Changing climate forces desperate Guatemalans to migrate
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/10/drought-climate-change-force-guatemalans-migrate-to-us/

That is where I intend to retire because they have so much food, or do they?

Isn't this the dry season anyway, however, and the rest of the year there is sufficient rainfall?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 15:30:56

jedrider wrote:Isn't this the dry season anyway, however, and the rest of the year there is sufficient rainfall?

Yes that is why the current conditions cannot be considered a drought. It is now the dry season. This year however the dry season started unusually early in November.

Specifically up here at high elevations we usually get winds coming over the continental divide in the dry season from the Caribbean that are laden with moisture so that all the epiphytes in the forest are misted with a fine rain a couple times a week. This year the winds have arrived but they have been bone dry with none of those misting rains. Our pastures are usually green maintained by these mists. This year they are brown.

The rainy season starts in April/May when the monsoon rains from the Pacific drift up and we get pretty regular afternoon rain showers.

Unusual conditions this year so far. We never had the situation where we were looking skyward anticipating rain.

The stream that feeds are hydro system is still running strong as well so we are producing full 7.6Kw. No reduction in this stream that is fed from an underground aquifer. In the 10 years that we have lived here only once for about two weeks at the tail end of the dry season in May did we experience a drop in the volume of this creek.

There are lowland sites here in Panama where creeks have already run dry and there are indigenous villages that depend on this water. They are no having to walk long distances for cooking and washing water.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 15:49:22

Here in northern California, the fog is vastly decreased from only a decade ago. The climate now is a new one, that of a semi-desert that is creeping all the way to the coast line. Our redwood forests are fog harvesters. No fog, maybe no more redwoods, except the giants can still tap into near under surface water, but I wonder about that. There is little redwood forests left (because they were systematically cut down), but what is left in the parks are like near-extinct species in a zoo.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 16:46:09

JD,

Are you familiar with this site?

http://riodulcechisme.com

Belize is right next door, a little less third world.

I know of folks living in Panama, besides Ibon.

The island of Dominique might present some interesting opportunities. Fairly depressed, hard hit by Hurricane last year many folks left and now Ross University has decided to pull out. I suspect there are buying opportunities there. But it’s for the adventurous.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 18:14:49

Newfie wrote:JD,

Are you familiar with this site?

http://riodulcechisme.com

Belize is right next door, a little less third world.

I know of folks living in Panama, besides Ibon.

The island of Dominique might present some interesting opportunities. Fairly depressed, hard hit by Hurricane last year many folks left and now Ross University has decided to pull out. I suspect there are buying opportunities there. But it’s for the adventurous.

Living on an Island with increased risk of Hurricane/Tornadoes/Sea Level Rise? No thanks.

No, I wasn't familiar with the site. I am not that retired yet, so I have trouble relaxing that much. However, it seems like a nice life there.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 19:46:31

It has links to other Guat sites. They also have a forum. They discuss all kinds of expat things.

No need to worry about SLR on Dominique, for the most part it rises straight up. NO tornados. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

Seriously many places have some form of natural disaster potential. Rain cal causes wash outs and mud slides, volcanos, dictirial governments, all acts of God.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Karle » Tue 19 Feb 2019, 07:21:24

Here in Tasmania we had lots of bush fires but there have been worse ones before.

The experts said there was no way to put the fires out, and they might burn for another 6 weeks, since we would not get any rain in February.

Three days later the big rain started and most fires are out. One day last week with the last fires still burning we had the interesting situation with summer snow where the firefighters could not work any more because of too much snow making it impossible.

The experts always know what is coming. :mrgreen:
Karle
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Feb 2019, 09:13:55

That’s interesting. I watch the weather fairly closely because we live on a boat and travel, so it’s important. Most of the time the weather 3 days out is pretty good, 5 days you have a clue, beyond that is a crap shoot. Then again the weather here is pretty consistent, not a lot of variability.

I do recall a road trip to Rochester, NY from Philadelphia. Leaving to return home, October, they predicted light snow showers, then some accumulation, then a few inches. By the time I got to the PA Turnpike they said the B word, blizzard. No shit Sherlock! I got on but they closed entrance ramps behind me. Luckily I had 4WD and got through, although there were blown down trees that closed the shoulder and slow lane, none blocked my passage.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JimBof » Tue 19 Feb 2019, 19:11:51

Now it looks like we might be hit by Cyclone Oma. It might miss us but could hit south east Queensland. That would fill the dams but nobody likes to be hit by a Grade 3 cyclone. The last one to come this far south was 1981.
JimBof
Peat
Peat

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 08 Mar 2019, 16:28:04

JimBof wrote:There have been so few posts since Christmas that I was wondering if a fatal virus had been released to most members because of global warming and the associated big freeze up north. Here in Brisbane Australia we have just had over 36 days of +30 degrees heat setting a new record. North of us Townsville has been flooded with 1.5 Metres of rain. Some nearby areas have had over 2 M. One town had 500 MM in 12 hours. Water heading north has swollen a river to 60 Km wide. The estimate is over 1/2 million cattle dead. Is this weather or climate?

In answer to Jim's questions, I would say it is both climate and weather. The weatger manifesting the early stages of a change in the climate regime. As for where is everybody? Well since I have been a member usually they're are no more than 20 active members at one time of which only only a handful may be posting simultaneously
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 08 Mar 2019, 17:38:08

When I first joined up here it was peak fallout from the GFC, usually 200+ active members online, new posts every few minutes, full on characters hashing out long arguments, it was a very busy forum, busiest I've ever been involved in by a long way. Times have changed, fundamentals haven't.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby peakoilwhen » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 05:35:34

>Where is everybody

After the internet gave peakoil a new leash of interest in about 2003-2005, everyone with braincells realised it was a baseless doomer cult, and in fact is a non issue for multiple reasons. Without brainy people leading the plebs, the interest in peakoil has waned.
peakoilwhen
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 08:10:46

I watch, contribute to, this forum and 2 others about sailing. From that small sampling I note that participation is way down on all three forums.

Just one guys observation.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 09:58:05

peakoilwhen wrote:>Where is everybody

After the internet gave peakoil a new leash of interest in about 2003-2005, everyone with braincells realised it was a baseless doomer cult, and in fact is a non issue for multiple reasons. Without brainy people leading the plebs, the interest in peakoil has waned.

Now, that really is a brainless comment. Peakoil is much more of a danger now than in 05. Simply because we ie, the developed economies have done precious little to prepare for it. We had every reason to do so which includes climate change. But we didn't. So now the end of cheap oil will have catacylsmic repurcussions given we are so unprepared. People are clueless unless they inform themselves. Because the price of oil and gas are reasonable currently, people assume all is okay. They are dead wrong.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 14:02:02

onlooker wrote:

Now, that really is a brainless comment. Peakoil is much more of a danger now than in 05. Simply because we ie, the developed economies have done precious little to prepare for it. We had every reason to do so which includes climate change. But we didn't. So now the end of cheap oil will have catacylsmic repurcussions given we are so unprepared. People are clueless unless they inform themselves. Because the price of oil and gas are reasonable currently, people assume all is okay. They are dead wrong.

Brainless comment meant to troll..., and yet a part of me agrees with him! what a crazy mixed up world we live in where all the big threats are enigmas that continue to be shy and elusive.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 23 Mar 2019, 14:05:00

onlooker wrote:

Brainless comment meant to troll..., and yet a part of me agrees with him! what a crazy mixed up world we live in where all the big threats are enigmas that continue to be shy and elusive.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion