Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Re: THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 24 Oct 2018, 14:59:53

Hawaiian island gone in after math of hurricane.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/an-enti ... -waves.amp

Also note it’s from Fox.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 30 Oct 2018, 18:03:14

The world’s oceans and all marine life are on the brink of total collapse

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/201 ... o8D2y87NSE
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 20:31:55

Japan will resume commercial whaling from July in its waters and exclusive economic zone while ending its controversial hunts in the Antarctic, it said on Wednesday, as it announced its withdrawal from the International Whaling Commission (IWC).

Australia and New Zealand welcomed the decision to abandon the Antarctic whale hunt, but expressed disappointment that Japan would engage in any killing of the ocean mammals.

https://gcaptain.com/japan-to-resume-co ... ut-of-iwc/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 12:56:08

Good catch, Newf. I fear there is a new global mood for nations to just thumb their noses at international env treaties, lead, unfortunately, by our current regime.

Meanwhile:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -of-mexico

the worst oil disaster you’ve never heard of

When Hurricane Ivan sank an oil platform owned by Taylor Energy in 2004, it has spewed hundreds of barrels of oil per day. And it’s not stopped

Eight years ago, the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico devastated communities, wildlife and livelihoods all along the Gulf coast. While dying dolphins and oil-soaked marsh grass dominated the headlines, the human cost was catastrophic. Now, it appears that a new disaster is slowly unfolding that may soon eclipse that horrific event to become the worst environmental disaster in US history.

In 2004, Hurricane Ivan triggered an undersea mudslide that sank an oil platform owned by Taylor Energy. Since then, between 300 and 700 barrels of oil have been spewing into the Gulf of Mexico every day. Let’s put that into perspective. The Deepwater Horizon disaster spilled almost 200m gallons of oil into the Gulf. To date, the Taylor spill has released as much as 140m gallons of oil into the Gulf.

What is even more shocking is that, 14 years since the Taylor oil platform sank, federal officials estimate the uncapped wells could continue polluting the Gulf for decades, perhaps even a century. It is a nightmare scenario that should terrify anyone who cares about the health of the wildlife and people who live along the Gulf coast.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 16:26:29

“..anyone who cares.” Is not a sufficiently large voting block to have a voice.

I hear Angelina Jolie has made vague overwrites about entering politics. Maybe ther is hope for us yet. (SARC)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 18:30:48

Har har hardy har har. There is no international treaty on hunting whales that are not of endangered species, nor should there be.

Harvesting plentiful marine mammals should be no different than harvesting plentiful land mammals, or fish, or reptiles. So long as the species is not in decline or in danger of extinctions there should be no issue with harvesting.

Just because the Disney movie corporation and others have made Whales seem all warm and cuddly does not mean anything from a science or extinction point of view. Bambi didn't end deer hunting and 'Free Willy' and assorted other movies should not impact marine mammal harvesting. Whales have a pretty average brain to body mass ratio, generally no more than an average animal, certainly nowhere near that of a human being.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 19:38:17

I hear the argument and I have a photo of my cousin and I standing on a pilot whale just harvested. HOWEVER once you interact with them it becomes different. Ive seen deer play but it’s nothing like watching humpback frolick. They are just so whimsical. I spent a bit of one evening, alone in the harbor, except for this beluga. He was bored with no one to play with and was just fooling around on the surface making farty noises and rolling around and slapping the water. Just like a 3 year old in the bath.

8BD6572F-FDFB-42FC-9670-C6408BC67F11.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 00:50:02

Just because the Disney movie corporation and others have made Whales seem all warm and cuddly does not mean anything from a science or extinction point of view.

I remember many years ago when I first moved to a place that was populated by groups of raccoons. To that point in time, my exposure to raccoons was the Disney specials showing the cute critters washing their food, hanging out with their offspring etc. I was ill prepared to deal with what I started referring to as the raccoon gangs that populated our neighborhood. They killed all the neighborhood cats who were out at night (not such a bad thing I guess) but also wreaked havoc with gardens, garbage cans etc. I was confronted by several of them once standing on their hind legs snarling...I'm sure they had little leather jackets on and were carrying small switchblades but I have no proof. Far cry from what I was prepared for by the Disney corporation. Made me suspicious of animals ever after that. :wink:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 08:06:39

Does that include human animals? They are the worst!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 07:35:49

Update on Wilson 001, the Pacific Garbage Patch clean up machine.

It has developed a problem and is being towed back for repairs.

Updates below, pretty neat site.

https://www.theoceancleanup.com/updates ... d-upgrade/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 08:55:29

A single metric ton per week (1000kg) of harvested plastic dosn't seem like a viable harvest rate. The cost per tonne would be exorbitant. If that garbage patch is as bad as they make it out to be I would expect them to be pulling up tons per hour not per week.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:27:04

I think some of the problem is a lot of the plastic is extremely small, too small to be picked up. These guys are trying to get bigger stuff, while they can, before it degrades.

It would be a lot cheaper and make more sense to ban those plastic micro bubble stuff they put in skin cleansers. But, here we are.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 08 Jan 2019, 02:05:56

Global warming of oceans equivalent to an atomic bomb per second

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... per-second
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 08 Jan 2019, 04:39:58

dohboi wrote:Global warming of oceans equivalent to an atomic bomb per second

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... per-second

Puts PStarr's inexplicable spouting of AGW denial into even greater relief...

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 08 Jan 2019, 09:14:26

Newfie wrote:I think some of the problem is a lot of the plastic is extremely small, too small to be picked up. These guys are trying to get bigger stuff, while they can, before it degrades.

It would be a lot cheaper and make more sense to ban those plastic micro bubble stuff they put in skin cleansers. But, here we are.

I agree.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 11:42:02

More on the ocean heating story:

Record-breaking ocean temperatures point to trends of global warming
2018 continues record global ocean warming

An international team, released the 2018 ocean heat content observations in Advances in Atmospheric Sciences on January 16, 2019. The newly available observations show that the year 2018 is the hottest year ever recorded for the global ocean, as evident in its highest ocean heat content since 1950s in the upper 2000m.

Compared to the average value that was measured 1981 - 2010, the 2018 ocean heat anomaly is approximately 19.67 x 1022 Joules, a unit measure for heat. This heat increase in 2018 relative to 2017 is ~388 times more than the total electricity generation by China in 2017, and ~ 100 million times more than the Hiroshima bomb of heat. The years 2017, 2015, 2016 and 2014 came in just after 2018 in order of decreasing ocean heat content. The values are based on an ocean temperature analysis product conducted by the Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP) at Chinese Academy of Sciences.
[/quote]

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 011119.php
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 12:21:16

heat anomaly is approximately 19.67 x 1022 Joules, a unit measure for heat

I had to dust off some very old math lessons about scientific notation to make sense of that figure. When you consider the surface area of the worlds oceans is 361.1 trillion square meters and it takes 4,184,000 joules to raise one cubic meter of water one degree C. (4.184/cc/deg.C) they are taking some small fraction of a degree C over the 2000 meter depth stated. Even if you considered only the top two meters of depth it is less then one degree C in anomaly.
I suppose the real question is how much change does it take to cause trouble? I suppose not much as the Lobster grounds off New England are moving north to Canada due to warmer coastal waters. and other things that are being observed.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 19:35:15

An interesting article about some ocean ecosystems I had not know about and how they could be effected by that giant plastic collection device.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... on/580693/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 20:09:45

Newfie wrote:An interesting article about some ocean ecosystems I had not know about and how they could be effected by that giant plastic collection device.

Yes quite worth the read.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Tue 22 Jan 2019, 23:42:26

vtsnowedin wrote:
Newfie wrote:An interesting article about some ocean ecosystems I had not know about and how they could be effected by that giant plastic collection device.

Yes quite worth the read.

It just gets harder and harder..
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate