Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

IMF: Want to fight climate change? Remove $1.9tr subsidies

Re: ExxonMobil hit with climate change investigation in New

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 18:53:13

dohboi wrote:BREAKING: A district court just dismissed New York's climate lawsuit against five big oil companies.

"Global warming and solutions thereto must be addressed by the two other branches of government."

https://mobile.twitter.com/zhirji28/sta ... 5874647058

I don't see why the courts can't rule on climate change. They rule on everything else. What an amazing thing for the judge to say.

Another major lawsuit working its way through the court system from California was also recently tossed out of court, but there are some other lawsuits still in court so this approach isn't dead yet.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 19:02:09

well here is one where the lawsuit has been upheld, so that's good

U.S. loses bid to end children's climate change lawsuit

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-loses-bid- ... ance.html/
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 19:16:12

We want judges to be the arbiter of the law, not forcing their opinions down people's throats. We have too much judicial activism as is. The 9th Circuit is a case in point of judges creating law from the bench. If you want to change the law regarding carbon emissions, then the legislature is where you should seek relief.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 18:37:12

Maybe the title of the thread could be changed to something like: Legal Paths toward fighting Climate Change...

Supreme Court refuses Trump administration’s request to have climate lawsuit thrown out

A landmark climate case brought against the federal government by 21 children and young adults has survived the highest-level attempt by the Trump administration to block the lawsuit.

On Monday, the Supreme Court unanimously refused to throw out the case, saying it can go ahead as planned. The decision comes after the Justice Department went to the high court earlier this month in a last-ditch effort to have the case thrown out.

The landmark lawsuit, which seeks to compel the government to preserve a clean atmosphere, argues that the government is violating its obligation to future generations by not doing so.

In Monday’s decision — which came less than two weeks after the administration filed its request — the court rejected the administration’s attempt to block any further legal action, stating, “the government’s request for relief is premature and is denied without prejudice.”

In what legal experts have called groundbreaking climate litigation, the lawsuit seeks to hold the federal government accountable for its role in perpetuating climate change. A final decision could shape the future of climate litigation for years to come.

The case can now proceed to trial. It is currently scheduled for October 29 but this date could be pushed depending on how discovery goes...

https://thinkprogress.org/supreme-court ... f4696/amp/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 10 Jan 2019, 16:30:19

U.S. Supreme Court issues ‘crushing blow’ to Exxon in major climate case

The Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal from ExxonMobil regarding Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey’s climate change investigation Monday, a decision legal experts called a “crushing blow” to the oil giant. The Court’s decision could have implications beyond the state of Massachusetts as Exxon is forced to hand over documents detailing what it knew about climate change and when.

After the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled last April that the company must turn over documents requested by Healey, Exxon asked the Supreme Court to intervene, arguing Healey lacked jurisdiction to even bring the investigation.

“Today’s decision means Exxon is out of options and out of time in its fight to keep these documents from public light,” Carroll Muffett, president and chief executive of the Center for International Environmental Law, told ThinkProgress. ...

https://thinkprogress.org/supreme-court ... 8891e3625/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Thu 10 Jan 2019, 19:01:52

The attorney general is wrong. Why should a corporation be required to reveal what it knows about climate change to the public? Is Exxon in the climate change business? Did the public pay for this information or the research behind it?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 15:42:25

"Is Exxon in the climate change business"

Well, yes, in fact they pretty much are!

But it's truly heartwarming the poor, benighted multi-national corporations like Exxon have brave knights in white armor like cog to come to their defense. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 16:03:35

dohboi wrote:"Is Exxon in the climate change business"

Well, yes, in fact they pretty much are!

But it's truly heartwarming the poor, benighted multi-national corporations like Exxon have brave knights in white armor like cog to come to their defense. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So don't complain if the government spies on you and finds something you privately learned or wrote down but failed to disclose to the public -- because they retroactively decided that is a crime.

There is a HUGE difference between going after the tobacco companies because they deliberately were making cigarettes more addictive, even while publishing only studies that showed cigarettes don't cause cancer -- and an energy company not disclosing results of research they paid for, WHEN SUCH DISCLOSURE WASN'T REQUIRED BY LAW.

Not that I'd expect you to make such distinctions, given your claims that meat eaters are killing the planet, billionaires are responsible for climate change (as though only they burn FF's), etc.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 16:29:27

The left has no concept of rule of law. The end justifies the means.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 07 Mar 2021, 12:22:00

What the future holds for Exxon.

“We are committed to playing a leading role in greenhouse gas reductions consistent with the goals of the Paris agreement...”

Thus spoke Exxon (XOM) CEO Darren Woods at Exxon’s investor day this week.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 08 Mar 2021, 17:41:11

AdamB wrote:What the future holds for Exxon.

“We are committed to playing a leading role in greenhouse gas reductions consistent with the goals of the Paris agreement...”

Thus spoke Exxon (XOM) CEO Darren Woods at Exxon’s investor day this week.

As always for any politically motivated statement; Don't tell me you care, show me you care!

Talk is cheap and the media is filled with it, but in the end it means jack squat on changing things for the better.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate