Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Re: Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby Cog » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 15:21:32

pstarr wrote:Newfie, you don't really believe he/she is 'amazed' that he/she generates heat? That's why he/she is here. He/she is an attention starved bed-wetting baby lol

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 15:56:21

dohboi wrote:Not particularly surprise, pretty predictable response, actually, from many of the thin-skinned, paranoid people around here.

Hey, if the site now wants threads that no one ever comments on, you all should knock yourselves out, and change all thread titles to the blandest, most boring and rambling verbiage you can come up with. I'm sure that will do wonders for numbers of posts in the forum. You guys are in charge. If you don't like something, you are perfectly free to change it rather than haranguing posters for their inability to walk properly on every eggshell spread around in your perfectly safe, perfectly pc space! :)

So, pretty clearly, you lack the maturity and self control to engage in adult conversations, in an appropriate adult manner.

Well, at least you're proud of yourself. :roll:

But by all means, conversation about data and events of critical importance should always take place like in the context of a bunch of young school children yelling at each other, since that's SO productive. :idea:

And then we wonder why the active population around here has shrunk to a relative trickle.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 18:13:12

This is totally unrelated to the topic of this thread but meat was involved. I make a pretty good chili or so I've been told. On a whim I picked up a can of Wolf Brand chili just to see what a canned chili tasted like. Upon opening the can, it had the appearance of diarrhea and the taste was not much better.

The moral of the story is make your own chili. Canned chili is just bad.

I must admit, when I make chili its Yankee chili which contains beans as God his own self intended. Not that glorified meat sauce the Texans make.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 19:22:46

Funny. Now stop, please!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 19:25:12

I swear I only posted it once. Use your mod powers to remove the other two please.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 19:27:21

We grow our own pinto style bean here. We planted 30 lbs of beans last year and harvested 400 pounds. We make a mean Chili con carne for our guests; ground beef from our own bulls, beans we grow, garlic and onions and hot chili peppers, lots of cumin and other special secret goodies....... people love it

You want a mean chili come on down.

Totally agree with Cog's assessment of chili in a can
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 19:30:36

I might get down there some time in the future. Going to Guatemala first to see a friend of mine. He raves about the place and I'll have to see why.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 00:09:44

I have had plenty of Texas chili varieties and most contained beans and meat both. In fact we caught one guy putting armadillo meat in his chili. The subject of spices and especially peppers is a long conversation, especially with beer as a tongue lubricant. About one thing I found all Texans in agreement about, however. No form of tomato nor any tomato product belongs in real chili.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 04:26:00

A recent US study found that “adaptive multi-paddock grazing” sequesters so much carbon that “emissions… were completely offset".
NSW practitioner Martin Royds says this not only benefits the environment but can increase profits by 230 per cent.
Plus, you get the odd hamburger.

Grazing doesn’t require treelessness.
Indeed, pastoral ruminants delight in paddock trees for shade and fodder.
Compare your average paddock of chickpeas or soy, a clear-felled monoculture that requires annual ploughing (denaturing the soil and killing its microbial culture) and broadscale poisoning of “weeds” before planting, not to mention petroleum-based fertilisers.
Fifty years of this and what soil remains is thoroughly dead.

Regenerative grazing, by contrast, can produce beef that is carbon-neutral or even carbon-negative.
Managed into intensive but fast-moving grazing, cattle eat grasses without killing them, trample nitrogen and fibrous dung into the soil, then move on.
Because the grasses are perennial, this deepens soil instead of destroying it, from 300mm to 1500mm in a few years, multiplying water-holding capacity by eight and sustaining the complex microbial ecosystems that release soil nutrients and exchange them with plants for sugars.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/thin ... 50ohk.html
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 06:29:44

Shaved,

The Omnivours Dilemia does a pretty good job of treating this subject, especially the last section of the book where he describes a farmer who is rejuvenating an old worn out farm. He uses many of the techniques you describe.

It’s not something that can be done on large scale, it takes some knowledge and caring for the soil. But it does rejuvenate the soil, and provide the odd burger, as you say.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 10:44:37

Funny that the topic turned to chili, since I just made about six gallons of it for the community meal we serve every weekday for free. Of course, it was vegan. :)

Very well appreciated. Included coffee, limes and apples in the stock, herbs and spices, including clove, alspice, and cinnamon. Of course, beans and tomatoes and onions and garlic. Plus sweet potato, greens and a few zukes and carrots.

I agree that chili from a can is not likely to ever be a good thing...I don't think I have ever even seen it. Of the above ingredients, some of the toms were the only thing to come from a can.

(And, yes, I have no problem discomforting the smug and comfortable, and I fully expect the approbrium heaped on me in response...people do not generally like mirrors held up to their faces that show them in a true, and not extremely flattering, light. More later :) )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 20:03:34

Not to mention, chili with beans causes lots of GHG "emissions".
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Tue 08 Jan 2019, 03:48:36

Researcher says his findings add to growing body of evidence that herbivores aren't strictly plant-eaters

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/hares-eat-meat-1.4949438
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 04:32:37

New plant-focused diet would ‘transform’ planet’s future, say scientists

‘Planetary health diet’ would prevent millions of deaths a year and avoid climate change

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... scientists

The first science-based diet that tackles both the poor food eaten by billions of people and averts global environmental catastrophe has been devised. It requires huge cuts in red meat-eating in western countries and radical changes across the world.

The “planetary health diet” was created by an international commission seeking to draw up guidelines that provide nutritious food to the world’s fast-growing population. At the same time, the diet addresses the major role of farming – especially livestock – in driving climate change, the destruction of wildlife and the pollution of rivers and oceans...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 12:28:29

Thanks for that one, Gas.

Further:

Time to cut virtually all meat from our diets, scientists say

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/health/n ... index.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:44:57

dohboi wrote:Thanks for that one, Gas.

Further:

Time to cut virtually all meat from our diets, scientists say

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/health/n ... index.html

People who have children "are killing the planet".

People who consume anything that anywhere in their creation causes CO2 "are killing the planet".

Keep pointing fingers. That will solve everything. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:52:15

How about

“PEOPLE I DONT LIKE ARE KILLING THE PLANET”

Or

“PEOPLE NOT LIKE ME ARE KILLING THE PLANET”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:58:40

Newfie wrote:How about

“PEOPLE I DONT LIKE ARE KILLING THE PLANET”

Or

“PEOPLE NOT LIKE ME ARE KILLING THE PLANET”

LOL Exactly
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 20:03:55

For the record, most people indeed killing the planet. But some are doing so in a particularly 'effective' and unnecessary way, and I am going to continue to call them out on it, as long as free speech and uncomfortable truth telling is still allowed on this site.

As Truman said to a fan who exhorted him to 'Give 'em hell, Harry!'

I just tell the truth about them, and they think it's Hell.

:) :) :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby careinke » Mon 21 Jan 2019, 14:20:28

dohboi wrote:For the record, most people indeed killing the planet. But some are doing so in a particularly 'effective' and unnecessary way, and I am going to continue to call them out on it, as long as free speech and uncomfortable truth telling is still allowed on this site.

As Truman said to a fan who exhorted him to 'Give 'em hell, Harry!'

I just tell the truth about them, and they think it's Hell.

:) :) :)

Just out of curiosity, have you ever read "The Omnivores Dilemma"? I think the last section of the book, is more the type of future I would like to see.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate