Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

D. J. Trump Administration Geopolitics Pt. 3

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Trump pulls US troops out of Syria

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 20:40:19

I'm thinking the Coulter-Limbaugh Axis
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 20:46:43

WSJ says:
A day after a contested decision to pull American military forces from Syria, officials said Thursday that President Trump has ordered the start of a reduction of American forces in Afghanistan.

My thought is he's really afraid to visit the troops because —bone spurs— so if he brings them all home...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 20:55:28

pstarr wrote:
Pops wrote:I'm thinking the Coulter-Limbaugh Axis

You are still partisan? Odd, given your intelligence. :shock:

I don't beat my wife anymore either.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 21:12:33

pstarr wrote:... light-dep ....?

Peter---Thanks for asking ----I'm doing pretty good this year.

I was in Italy and Croatia in October and early November, and I stored up a lot lumens to get through the long Alaskan winter.

Hope things are going great down there in beautiful Humboldt Country.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 21:20:58

Pops wrote:WSJ says:
A day after a contested decision to pull American military forces from Syria, officials said Thursday that President Trump has ordered the start of a reduction of American forces in Afghanistan.

The example of Afghanistan shows exactly why Trump is smart to declare victory and get us out of Syria now. Its 17 years since we defeated the Taliban in Afghanistan---17 years wasted fighting a never-ending Muslim insurgency.

The exact same thing would happen if we stayed in Syria-----years and years of low level insurgency targeting US troops until we finally left. IMHO declaring victory now and getting out of Syria now is just smart. The alternative is to stay in Syria and spend years fighting insurgencies....and who their right right mind would want that?

And If this works and Trump gets out our troops out of Syria OK, I won't be surprised if Trump suddenly decides he's taking all US troops out of Afghanistan in 2019. IMHO Obama should've kept his campaign promise and pulled all US troops out of Afghanistan during his time as President, but when the time came he didn't have the guts to do it. Hopefully Trump will finally get us out of there at long last.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 21:44:48

Pops wrote:
WSJ says:

My thought is he's really afraid to visit the troops because —bone spurs— so if he brings them all home...

Trump campaigned on the platform of removing our troops from Afghanistan and Syria. Mattis and the DOD said they needed more time. We have had had 17 years to make Afghanistan into something other than a shit-hole. Times up and time to get out. Mattis was a fine general and he likes doing general type things. But the Commander in Chief he is not. They do not call Afganistan the graveyard of empires for no good reason.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 22:39:51

To put it mildly, about freaking time!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 23:11:59

Bush the Senior got criticized for not finishing off Saddam in the Gulf War 1. But Bush did the correct thing. We had a mission with an achievable objective. Namely, to remove the Iraqi Army from Kuwait. We knew when that had been achieved and mission creep did not enter in.

In all the wars since then, we have not had a well defined mission. Or the mission gets changed into something a lot less defined. Nation building and all that jazz. Fighting ISIS in Syria and Iraq to destroy their capability was a mission but dislodging Assad was not. Trump doesn't want to stay in either Afghanistan or Syria because we don't have a mission there anymore that anyone can define. Why would we want to stay?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 00:26:18

Tanada wrote:To put it mildly, about freaking time!

I second that sentiment. You have to give it to Trump, he is certainly trying to fulfill his campaign promises. Heck, I may even vote for him in 2020.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 01:52:17

I think he'll be fighting an indictment by 2020.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby careinke » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 04:08:48

asg70 wrote:I think he'll be fighting an indictment by 2020.

Gee, how many times have I heard that? It seems the call for Trumps downfall never materialize. Though if it happens, it will certainly be entertaining.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 11:08:07

careinke wrote:
asg70 wrote:I think he'll be fighting an indictment by 2020.

Gee, how many times have I heard that? It seems the call for Trumps downfall never materialize. Though if it happens, it will certainly be entertaining.

Loss of the loyalty of the hawk wing of the GOP due to these moves won't help his chances of avoiding impeachment.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 11:36:17

I thought the Cheney/Bush wars were imperialism from the start, Syria was just an extension. Two of my kids did 3 tours over there and luckily came home whole.

The thing to worry about is Mattis, maybe the first Secty Defense to resign in protest, was the stabilizing force in the civilian command who slow rolled Individual 1's military parades, posse comitatus, internment camps, campaign border stunts, and command by tweet without the slightest consultation or advisement of allies or even his own government.

In '14 Mattis said of retiring in protest over unethical orders and other situations:
“you have to be very careful about doing that. The lance corporals can’t retire. They’re going. You abandon him only under the most dire circumstances, where the message you have to send can be sent no other way.”

But hey, all's well and running like a well oiled twitter machine and besides pootie approves.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 11:57:31

I applaud Trump for doing what his instincts tell him to do (in this case).

Maybe, we needed a petulant ignoramus in office all along?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 13:31:29

Since I see no stated logical reason for being in Syria, I think a pull out is a good thing.

I also suspect Trump is posturing for 2020.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 15:21:16

Pops wrote: Syria was just an extension....

Not really. Syria is clearly Obama's war.

For some reason Obama decided he wanted regime change in Syria---and he said this explicitly in multiple speeches. Beginning in 2012 Obama approved a large covert CIA program in Syria to fund, arm and train jihadi groups, including groups affiliated with al Qaida, who were fighting the Assad regime. The code name for this program was TIMBER SYCAMORE. BY some estimates the US was spending over a billion dollars a year on this covert program in Syria during the last four years of the Obama administration.

Timber_Sycamore

In hindsight, it was idiotic for the Obama administration to be funding, arming and training jihadists in Syria. Its estimated that the US-backed jihadis killed about 100,000 Syrian soldiers, along with huge numbers of civilians, and totally destroyed civil society in Syria. The islamists that Obama was supporting targeted Shia and christian villages in particular for destruction, because the Assad regime had protected them in the past. And then, to makes things worse, some of the US trained fighters with their US supplied weapons hooked up with a little group called ISIL, that was headed by an Iraqi. This group became the most powerful military force in easternmost Syria and booted out almost all the Syrian government forces, much to the Obama administration's delight. But then they did something the CIA handlers and the idiots in the Obama administration never anticipated---they launched an invasion of Iraq. The Obama administration responded by sending US troops BACK to Iraq for a THIRD time for Iraq War 3. Then Obama ordered US troops and air strikes into Syria as well---the first time US troops had been in Syria.

The third Iraq War and the new war in Syria that Obama got the US involved in dragged on through the end of the Obama administration, and only now are ending. When Trump took office he intensified the bombing and finally defeated IS---first in Iraq and now in Syria. One can only hope now Trump has the guts to ignore the caterwauling amoung the media and the Ds and the neocons and take the next step and actually get our troops out of Syria.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 17:22:26

Colbert said,
"Kind of scary when everyone says, 'There goes the voice of reason: Mad Dog.'”.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cog » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 19:03:50

Most Democrats get their talking points from Colbert. Not a surprise really.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 23:58:10

Plantagenet wrote:Syria is clearly * Obama's war.

Another day another game of pin-the-blame-on-Obama from Plant complete with * weasel-words.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics