Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Trump pulls US troops out of Syria

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Trump pulls US troops out of Syria

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 13:22:31

President Trump just announced via tweet that the ISIS Caliphate is defeated and he is pulling all US troops out of Syria.

donald-trump-syria-

The MSM is highly critical, denouncing Trump for his poor judgement. Some are expressing fear that if Trump withdraws US troops from Syria, then next thing he'll be withdrawing US troops from Afghanistan.

Personally I have mixed feelings about it. It would be nice if the defeat of the Caliphate would lead to peace in Syria, but there is zero chance of that. Turkey, the Syrian government, the Kurdish insurgents, Iran, Hezbollah and Russia all have military forces in Syria and future conflict is inevitable.

The war in Syria only started because Obama sent the CIA in to train Islamist insurgents to fight the Assad regime, and that idiotic policy backfired when the Islamist insurgents turned into ISIS and set up a Caliphate in Syria and invaded Iraq. Trump has "fixed" all of that, but he can't fix everything.

Personally, I don't think its a bad idea to declare victory in Syria and pull our troops out. The Caliphate is destroyed. Thats a victory of a sort and a reasonable exit point for US forces. We certainly don't want to get bogged down for 17 years fighting insurgents like we have in Afghanistan.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: Trump pulls US troops out of Syria

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 17:13:14

Since Republicans Neocons, the main stream media, and most Democrats support us staying there, I'm feeling pretty good that leaving is the best course of action.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 17:34:31

Cog wrote:Since Republicans Neocons, the main stream media, and most Democrats support us staying there, I'm feeling pretty good that leaving is the best course of action.

It is amazing to see the liberal media and the Ds and neocon Rs come out in support of keeping our troops in Syria.

I can't tell if they really think that way, or if they hate Trump so much they just automatically oppose whatever he proposes to do.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 19:16:28

pstarr wrote:The Military-industrial Complex .....

So you think all the liberals and reporters and Ds and Neocon Rs calling for US troops to stay in Syria are just shills for the military industrial complex?

Thats possible, I guess, But I think its more likely that they all just hate Trump and reflexively say "no!" whenever he proposes something.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 19:20:43

Plantagenet wrote:
Cog wrote:Since Republicans Neocons, the main stream media, and most Democrats support us staying there, I'm feeling pretty good that leaving is the best course of action.

Don't forget General Mattis.

It surprises me how little it takes to corrupt peoples' conviction, as long as it trolls the libtards it's they're fine with sucking up to putin and Kim and bin Salman, deploy the Army on US soil to shoot rock throwers, build detention camps, extradite Edrogen's political enemy so they ease up on MBS, , ,
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 19:22:19

Mattis's letter
Dear Mr. President:
I have been privileged to serve as our country's 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.
I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary footing, improving readiness and lethality in our forces, and reforming the Department's business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail in conflict and sustain strong U.S. global influence.
One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO's 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.
Similarly, I believe we must be resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model - gaining veto authority over other nations' economic, diplomatic, and security decisions - to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.
My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.
Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date for my tenure is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient time for a successor to be nominated and confirmed as well as to make sure the Department's interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming events to include Congressional posture hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial meeting in February. Further, that a full transition to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability Within the Department.
I pledge my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and 732,079 DoD civilians receive undistracted attention of the Department at all times so that they can fulfill their critical, round-the-clock mission to protect the American people.
I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 19:40:19

I'm thinking the Coulter-Limbaugh Axis
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 19:46:43

WSJ says:
A day after a contested decision to pull American military forces from Syria, officials said Thursday that President Trump has ordered the start of a reduction of American forces in Afghanistan.

My thought is he's really afraid to visit the troops because —bone spurs— so if he brings them all home...
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 19:55:28

pstarr wrote:
Pops wrote:I'm thinking the Coulter-Limbaugh Axis

You are still partisan? Odd, given your intelligence. :shock:

I don't beat my wife anymore either.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 20:12:33

pstarr wrote:... light-dep ....?

Peter---Thanks for asking ----I'm doing pretty good this year.

I was in Italy and Croatia in October and early November, and I stored up a lot lumens to get through the long Alaskan winter.

Hope things are going great down there in beautiful Humboldt Country.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 20:20:58

Pops wrote:WSJ says:
A day after a contested decision to pull American military forces from Syria, officials said Thursday that President Trump has ordered the start of a reduction of American forces in Afghanistan.

The example of Afghanistan shows exactly why Trump is smart to declare victory and get us out of Syria now. Its 17 years since we defeated the Taliban in Afghanistan---17 years wasted fighting a never-ending Muslim insurgency.

The exact same thing would happen if we stayed in Syria-----years and years of low level insurgency targeting US troops until we finally left. IMHO declaring victory now and getting out of Syria now is just smart. The alternative is to stay in Syria and spend years fighting insurgencies....and who their right right mind would want that?

And If this works and Trump gets out our troops out of Syria OK, I won't be surprised if Trump suddenly decides he's taking all US troops out of Afghanistan in 2019. IMHO Obama should've kept his campaign promise and pulled all US troops out of Afghanistan during his time as President, but when the time came he didn't have the guts to do it. Hopefully Trump will finally get us out of there at long last.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 20:44:48

Pops wrote:
WSJ says:

My thought is he's really afraid to visit the troops because —bone spurs— so if he brings them all home...

Trump campaigned on the platform of removing our troops from Afghanistan and Syria. Mattis and the DOD said they needed more time. We have had had 17 years to make Afghanistan into something other than a shit-hole. Times up and time to get out. Mattis was a fine general and he likes doing general type things. But the Commander in Chief he is not. They do not call Afganistan the graveyard of empires for no good reason.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 21:39:51

To put it mildly, about freaking time!
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 22:11:59

Bush the Senior got criticized for not finishing off Saddam in the Gulf War 1. But Bush did the correct thing. We had a mission with an achievable objective. Namely, to remove the Iraqi Army from Kuwait. We knew when that had been achieved and mission creep did not enter in.

In all the wars since then, we have not had a well defined mission. Or the mission gets changed into something a lot less defined. Nation building and all that jazz. Fighting ISIS in Syria and Iraq to destroy their capability was a mission but dislodging Assad was not. Trump doesn't want to stay in either Afghanistan or Syria because we don't have a mission there anymore that anyone can define. Why would we want to stay?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Thu 20 Dec 2018, 23:26:18

Tanada wrote:To put it mildly, about freaking time!

I second that sentiment. You have to give it to Trump, he is certainly trying to fulfill his campaign promises. Heck, I may even vote for him in 2020.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 21 Dec 2018, 00:52:17

I think he'll be fighting an indictment by 2020.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics