Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Thermal Depolymerization Thread (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Thermal Depolymerization Thread (merged)

Unread postby diemos » Fri 23 Nov 2018, 14:47:39

Even if it's not a net energy source it could be a useful way of disposing of plastic waste that doesn't involve it ending up in the ocean.

Of course, the Japanese already just incinerate their plastic waste. Which is about as good as you can get.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Zarquon » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:56:13

Plastic to diesel fuel: that's basically a DIY technology, as long as you can get pure PE or similar as a feedstock. 100kg plastics yield ~95l in fuel and some black carbon. This thread contains the details, and enough pictures to convince me that it's real. The guy claims it takes about 8 cents of electricity per liter, that's where I smelled a rat at first. Unfortunately he doesn't mention until later in the tread that he built this in Indonesia in 2010, where the economics worked out...

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewable ... eaply.html

But a little googling will turn up companies selling you a complete, large installation that can produce thousands of liters per day.

P.S.: I do not recommend building a plastics pyrolysis device at home, like this guy did. License and safety issues alone could probably land you in prison. But the comments and questions of the people responding to the post are... priceless. "Great idea! Can I use a steam cooker instead?"
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Zarquon » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 23:49:24

I've read some more in this old 2010 thread I mentioned above and I don't know what kind of forum this really is, but it's amazing. First, the amount of interest this post about how to refine your own fuel from garbage got. 146 pages, last post from this year. One guy responds who claims he's been driving for over a year now with homemade fuel from plastics.

Second, the almost total ignorance of some people. The more you read, the more you want to tear your hair out:

"Can I use a pressure cooker?"
"Can I use an old electric stove?"
"Have you tried shredded CDs/DVDs?"
"Thanks! I'm thinking about starting a business making and selling this fuel. Can somebody here advise me on the legal stuff? There might be some issues, but I don't know."
"If you use PVC, any way (not necessarily EPA-approved) to somehow vent chlorine gases?"
"The recycling firm asked £400 for a ton of shredded PE. That's how corporate interests try to prevent us from making our own fuel! Conspiracy!"
"Hey, I need some questions to be answered regarding plastic conversion back to biofuel, mind helping?"
"My first batch did not heat well. The tank I used was a 25 gallon air compressor tank and with only a few inches of barrel to insulate it; it was not enough. I was using sand and fiberglass and a simple propane weed torch for the heat."
"I used to do a little work at a plastics recycling plant, in the UK, that made plastic garbage cans. His whole plant ran off fuel he made but he never told me how he did it."
"What if I filled the reactor with the wood shavings and then filled the rest with used motor oil, would I then be able to make this work?"
"Has anyone done anything with ABS plastics (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (number 7 on the resins identification scale)? It may be off topic here but has anyone attempted a similar thermal de-polymerization process with waste motor oil/transmission oil."
"The fuel oil goes into my furnace usually mixed with used motor oil or vegetable oil that i get for free and the same into my Listeroid 16/1 diesel engine running a 12kw china st gen head making about 10Kw."
"Hi to all, This is what I am doing. It is in principal the same as with the plastic, but I am using waste motor oil. No temperature control, insulation or any safety devices! Do not inhale the fumes if you want to try this!"
"I dit somme testing with eps isomo,disolve in aceton is fast but 3€ for 1 liter. So I dit a test with 200° hot cookingoil(wvo)and it disolv fast like aceton. I will do some more testing with old plastic flowerpots nobody wants."
"These are just my thoughts and when I get back home on the 15th I will get to work on it and let you know if it worked or not and if I don't right back that means things went horribly wrong and I am to embarrassed to admit my mistake or it went kaboom and I no longer have to worry about energy."
"Would it address this if i 'bubbled' the exhaust from such a burning through something, to capture the dioxin.If so, then what do I do with it?"
"scares the living be#@$& of every one and doesn't follow up with his assumptions about Dioxins escaping into the atmosphere...if you are out there come in with some scientific proof and set our minds at rest...could be a sitin from the petro company's scarring us ..."
"An addon project would be to try putting together an engine which could utilise this unadulterated fuel to its full potential. An engine that could do 200 miles to the gallon (be it US gallons (≈ 3.79 L) or UK ones (4.55 L)), would really make the container store go a long way."
"Do you think you could just pour concrete in around the chamber as an insulator?"

FREE FUEL! LIKE, FOR FREE! FREE! Then all higher brain functions lock up. I'm only on page 6 now, and that's the first time somebody there mentions dioxin and that it's probably not too good for your health. Or other people's health. Not that many people responded to that, with FREE FUEL on their mind. Apart from the idea of total amateurs handling gasoline fumes heated to 400°C while burning off the propane...

Makes me wonder how many people are already doing this.

P.S: Apparently, the OP did this in Latvia, not Indonesia.

P.P.S: A picogram of dioxin is considered a dangerous amount of carcinogens. By burning this fuel in your car or furnace you don't destroy it, you just spread it around the neighborhood in a very fine mist. But you know there's no risk because the guy from the garbage company told you the plastic he sold you is clean.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 06:36:11

Do you have stats on how bad dioxins actually are? I have a brother in law who was exposed to dioxin laden agent orange during his service in vietnam. Hes not the healthies 70 year old around, but it hasn't killed him yet either.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Zarquon » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 10:07:34

Sorry, all I could give you is the wikipedia page, which I'm sure you already know. The problem is that dioxins do not appear to cause cancer themselves so much, as to accelerate it. That's where it gets complicated.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 25 Sep 2019, 10:38:27

Synergy-World Energy is planning on building a $2 Billion dollar bio fuel and plastics to liquid energy plant in Lewisporte, Newfoundland.

There is one simple press report with very few details. I can’t find the complies website, there are a bunch of “synergy world” hits but nothing clearly discussing this site and technology.

Anyone hear of this outfit?

https://www.thetelegram.com/business/lo ... te-355490/

https://vocm.com/2019/09/24/lewisporte-fuel-facility/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 26 Sep 2019, 17:16:29

Bumping the post because it’s not showing up on “View Hour Posts.”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 27 Sep 2019, 06:41:07

The name of the company was misquoted in the above link. It is:

Synergy World SNERGY

https://www.synergyworldpower.com/new-foundland/

CBC just did an article about the company and the process.

https://www.synergyworldpower.com/new-foundland/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 09 Jul 2020, 10:01:05

Nova Scotia companies in need of feedstock to produce renewable fuel

Two Canadian companies are looking for sources of waste feedstock in Nova Scotia to produce transportation diesel, jet fuel and naphtha fuel.

Cielo Waste Solutions (CSE: CMC) and Renewable U Halifax put out a call for expressions of interest for their planned Joint Venture Renewable Fuel Facility that will be located in or within 150 kilometres of the provincial capital, Halifax.

The idea is that companies and organizations that generate industrial, commercial and municipal waste in Nova Scotia submit their proposals so that they can provide the feedstock needed to put in motion Cielo’s facility. The plant is being engineered to convert eight tonnes of dried waste per hour into approximately 32.7 million litres a year of high-grade renewable fuel.

“We are very optimistic that this EOI for Nova Scotia will provide multiple feedstock sources and help us select the right location for our green waste-to-energy facility,” Don Allan, Cielo’s CEO, said in a media statement.

“Our technology can convert multiple different waste streams into high-grade renewable fuel without having to sort the feedstock,” Allan said.

The company is in advanced discussions with an industry buyer who is interested in entering into a long-term agreement to purchase the fuel and who doesn’t need the producer to remove the sulfur from it.

“Although reduced fuel prices will impact Cielo’s cash flow, it’s expected that Cielo’s highly efficient production costs will help insulate the company from current low fuel prices and allow for solid margins on the sale of product,” Allan said.

https://www.mining.com/nova-scotia-comp ... able-fuel/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Energy Technology