Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Republican (general) Thread pt 4

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Republican (general) Thread pt 4

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:48:20

insane number-free reaction like Sanders

Oh I like that one. :lol:
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 15:11:03

Kevin Dowd Summarizes Populism for His Sister Maureen’s Liberal Readers: Trump Has 43.2M Twitter Followers; NYT Has 3.1M Subscribers

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism ... bscribers/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Koch Brothers to Punish Republicans who Follow Trump

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 22:45:22

The Koch brothers are Libertarians who find Trump's policies anathema. They have announced that the spigot is closed to those supporting Trump's policies that do not align with Corporatist views. They have even announced they will financially support anyone, regardless of party, who support their views.

They have announced support for Democrat Sen. Heidi Heitkamp in North Dakota.

So, do they follow Trump, or the money?
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Mon 30 Jul 2018, 22:59:18, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Koch Brothers to Punish Republicans who Follow Trump

Unread postby Pops » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 22:58:33

I'd say the Kochs are no longer the Real Thing, they're New Koch and everyone will hate it.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cog » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 04:52:24

Lol the Kochs are being reinvented as libertarians by the left. Lol comical.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 10:17:09

I find this interesting as it highlights (at least to me) a major difference between the way Americans and Canadians approach politics.
The Kochs are businessmen, theoretically, you would think they would support whatever candidate has their business interests in mind. The Kochs want open markets, they believe in free capitalism and that American companies can only compete in global markets if they are unfettered by too many tariffs. But in general, they seem to be expected to support the Republican party no matter what the policies of that party are at the time, if they aren't loyal Republicans then somehow they have to be Democrats (i.e. they can only be either the "friend" or the "enemy").
In Canada (at least until recently) business sided with whichever candidate espoused the principles they held dear. In some cases that would be the Conservative Party and in some cases it would be the Liberal Party (never Partis Quebecois or the NDP so far). It was more about the leader of the party at the time. There have been very pro-business Liberal leaders in the past and very pro-business Conservative leaders in the past. Over the years I've voted both for Liberal candidates as well as for Conservative candidates, my vote being decided by the key agendas of the party leader at that point in time and whether or not his/her opponent was a complete moron (and they change regularily). I think people in Canada are more likely to vote for the candidate it seems than their Amercian counterparts who appear to be more do or die Party politics folks.
Maybe I'm wrong, I just make this judgment from what I see in the press.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 10:35:16

Cid_Yama wrote:The Koch brothers are Libertarians who find Trump's policies anathema. They have announced that the spigot is closed to those supporting Trump's policies that do not align with Corporatist views. They have even announced they will financially support anyone, regardless of party, who support their views.

They have announced support for Democrat Sen. Heidi Heitkamp in North Dakota.

So, do they follow Trump, or the money?

I saw this story recently.

So now that the dems might be offered Koch Brothers' money, it will be interesting to see what they do. And what they will SAY, since the left has been calling the Koch brothers the spawn of the devil (I paraphrase) for decades, since they mainly contributed to GOP and libertarian causes.

Ah politics. An exercise in near randomness.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 10:38:02

Cog wrote:Lol the Kochs are being reinvented as libertarians by the left. Lol comical.

So, how do you explain their involvement in libertarian politics and causes and think tanks, etc. for recent decades? Fake news?

It looks to me like they are interested in government leaving their business interests alone, which is a libertarian principle.

Their apparent fight with Trump recently (Trump is now attacking them, from what I read) is clearly because more trade tariffs are NOT what the Kochs support.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Pops » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 10:38:51

I don't know anything about Canada. But the US jumbles our social and class warfare all together, hard to tell whether someone who is railing against abortion or free trade is really rooting for tax cuts or voting rights or just can't keep up so cheers his label regardless.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 00:41:23

Subjectivist wrote:My prediction, Nancy as speaker will get a permanent use of Air Force 3 (a 757 executive model) which is one of the things she was after right before the R's ousted her from the speaker seat in 2010. President Trump is the consummate deal maker, he will give to her so long as he gets from her what he wants in return.

Could be, but I wouldn't trust Speaker Pelosi to hold up her end of any deal as far as I could throw the House chamber.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 06:44:31

Time to take the Republican Party back from the nut jobs. The leverage over the more moderate Republicans has been lifted as of last night.

Let the investigations begin.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 08:03:22

You mean the two years plus investigation into Trump we have already done? Hey if the Dems want to waste their House majority in this trivial pursuit, I won't object. I look forward to your standard-bearer, Maxine Waters, screaming for impeachment. Will provide for much entertainment.

By the way, it was moderate Republicans who lost seats. Senators ans Representatives who embraced Maga won.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 11:27:51

Tanada wrote: I wouldn't trust Speaker Pelosi to hold up her end of any deal as far as I could throw the House chamber.

How about if she owed her job to Trump and the Rs?

Trump phoned Pelosi to congratulate her on the Ds big win in the House, and this morning Trump is tweeting that some Rs could join in the vote for Pelosi to become Speaker, if any dissident D tries to run against her for speaker.

A lot of the new D Congresscritters refused to commit to vote for Pelosi before the election. Trump stepping in now to say the Rs will add enough votes to put Pelosi over the top for the Speaker Job has pretty much destroyed any chance the Ds will support another candidate. Even if some of the Ds won't vote for Pelosi, the Rs will.

I think Trump deserves credit here for offering R votes to Nancy Pelosi to make sure Nancy Pelosi is in charge of the Ds. You can't get more bipartisan then that!

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 11:39:44

Pelosi as Speaker is both the most likely outcome by far, and the best alternative for Trump, she's a 100% familiar quantity who will behave 100% as predicted. He could have been in real trouble if the R's had retained control of the House and elected a new and unknown R as Speaker. I doubt that Ryan would have continued, and note he wasn't very effective in the role.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 12:50:14

The R gains in the Senate are VERY significant.

It guarantees that Trumps effort to stock the federal courts with young, conservative judges will continue for another two years. AND it guarantees that if there is another SCOTUS vacancy, Trump can pretty much put anyone he wants on the SCOTUS.

It also guarantees that the Trump tax cuts won't be overturned for another two years. Thank goodness for that.....I haven't been collecting receipts for itemizing on my taxes this year because under the next tax law I can just use the new DOUBLED personal exemption and cut my taxes without all the hassle with itemizing.

All in all, about as good as it could be.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 13:57:34

Just to put things into perspective, post WWII, these are some losses in first mid-term elections:

Obama.........2010.........-72 seats
Truman........1946.........-64 seats
Clinton..........1994........-63 seats
Ford.............1974........-52 seats
Johnson........1966........-50 seats
Reagan.........1982........-26 seats
Trump...........2018.......-23 seats (so far)

Trump is only the third president in 100 years to gain seats in the Senate in his first midterm. 9 of the 11 candidates he actively campaigned with won their elections.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 17:34:12

Thanks for posting that, interesting. So much for the Boue Wave.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to North America Discussion