Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

SCOTUS Supreme Court of the United States Pt.2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: SCOTUS Supreme Court of the United States Pt.2

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 03:40:17

pstarr wrote:Is it a victory for the United States? I doubt that very much. Is it a crushing blow to the Dem. machine? Yes, and for that I am glad.

We will regret this if our reproductive rights and private lives are stolen by the religious right. I suspect that very fear is what has propelled the Democrat activist types. Can we blame them? Yes. Trump's election was evidence that the religious right was in decendence.

If you're going to complain about decadence from the right, perhaps learn to spell it first.

From the right we have to worry about things like personal rights like abortion rights, the separation of church and state, etc. But from the left we have to worry about things like property rights.

So for this moderate, it's not like either side gets a clean pass on sanity or good policy. Ideally, a balanced court seems best, but it's all pretty arbitrary, given the term of a POTUS vs. the typical SCOTUS justice.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 03:45:10

Plantagenet wrote:Murkowski is now saying she won't vote "no" on Kavanaugh.

Her plan now is to abstain from voting.

Cheers!

Nice to see what the beltway politicians stand for first and foremost -- getting re-elected.

And yet, we the people keep re-electing the same clowns.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 03:54:08

I think pstarr meant the word descendent, as in failing or going down.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 07:54:22

Even if by some miracle the Supremes overturn Roe v Wade all that means is it returns to state law. Anyone think California or New York are going to restrict abortion? Get real people! The D's don't care about West Virginians suffering pollution from mountain top removal coal mining, but threaten to limit abortions to cases of rape or risk of the mothers life and they blow a gasket! A similar story is true of most red leaning states, they are 'fly over' country and do not matter to the D party except during Presidential election campaigns, and then only the most heavily populated ones are cared about.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 08:04:30

Sub is exactly right.

Yesterday I came up with an odd thought. Not wedded to it, but it has some merit.

We run down Russia/USSR for their political system whereby the ruler was chosen by the parties central committee. Not democratic.

It strikes me the only difference in the USA is we have TWO central parties, R and D. Each one selects a candidate who then have a run off. The R process is slightly more democratic than the D, but both have Super Delegates who functionally over rice the democratic process. Trump being an outlier.

Both central parties are deeply invested in retaining power above the interests of the country. Rights and principals are minor concerns.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 08:18:35

Newfie wrote:Sub is exactly right.

Yesterday I came up with an odd thought. Not wedded to it, but it has some merit.

We run down Russia/USSR for their political system whereby the ruler was chosen by the parties central committee. Not democratic.

It strikes me the only difference in the USA is we have TWO central parties, R and D. Each one selects a candidate who then have a run off. The R process is slightly more democratic than the D, but both have Super Delegates who functionally over rice the democratic process. Trump being an outlier.

Both central parties are deeply invested in retaining power above the interests of the country. Rights and principals are minor concerns.

Yes but the fact that Trump did come in as an outsider and win shows the flexibility and strength of our system and the limits there are on the establishment power. Such a thing could never happen in Russia or China.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dissident » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 09:57:22

vtsnowedin wrote:
Newfie wrote:Sub is exactly right.

Yes but the fact that Trump did come in as an outsider and win shows the flexibility and strength of our system and the limits there are on the establishment power. Such a thing could never happen in Russia or China.

You know f*ck all about Russia. Just by lumping the one-party dictatorship called China with a real democracy like Russia you show this. And I could care less what the lie factory western MSM claims. I have direct, unfiltered information on the subject. Unlike the western MSM, the Russian MSM is not a monochrome spew of propaganda.

Don't wank too hard about how great is the US system. It is a two-party regime with any third party candidates easily sabotaged by the Republicans and Democrats via local electoral commissions. As in the case of Ralf Nader, they can remove his name from the ballot just because they can. If you think this is democratic, then you are a joke. Trump managed to move through the Republican Party primaries as some sort of outsider. But he is still a Republican. He is not a third party candidate. Americans got lucky that Trump was not totally co-opted by the deep state, but that is not some genius of your precious two party system. You should be getting independent "outsiders" on a routine basis and not deep state stooges for your system to actually function. We'll see how long the Trump "revolution" lasts.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 10:05:26

dissident wrote:
You know f*ck all about Russia. Just by lumping the one-party dictatorship called China with a real democracy like Russia you show this. And I could care less what the lie factory western MSM claims. I have direct, unfiltered information on the subject. Unlike the western MSM, the Russian MSM is not a monochrome spew of propaganda.

You can't be serious???
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 16:30:10

Ms. Ford said she doesn't intend to harass or bullyrag Judge Kavanaugh anymore and isn't interested in testifying again or in seeing him impeached.

Hopefully this will put an end to D delusions that they can impeach Judge Kavanaugh over what the FBI called "uncorroborated" accessions from 38 years ago if they take over the House.

But maybe not. The Ds are pretty far down the rabbit hole on this one. Even Pelosi is threatening to go after Kavanaugh, and she usually tries to keep a lid on the D extremists in the Congressional delegation.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 16:46:00

Want to motivate Republicans to vote in the midterms with the same passion they did in the general election? Run on the platform of impeachment of Trump and/or Kavanaugh.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 17:00:48

Plantagenet wrote:Ms. Ford said she doesn't intend to harass or bullyrag Judge Kavanaugh anymore and isn't interested in testifying again or in seeing him impeached.

Hopefully this will put an end to D delusions that they can impeach Judge Kavanaugh over what the FBI called "uncorroborated" accessions from 38 years ago if they take over the House.

But maybe not. The Ds are pretty far down the rabbit hole on this one. Even Pelosi is threatening to go after Kavanaugh, and she usually tries to keep a lid on the D extremists in the Congressional delegation.

With three weeks to go before the mid term elections I suspect Pelosi is trying to keep her base fired up so she can get back in the Speakers chair. How far she would actually go if the D's get back the majority is anyone guess, given that she really want power more than anything else. For one thing when she was Speaker the USAF kept Air force Three available for her beck and call letting her fly to California and back at will doing favors for various 'important people' in the process. Legally the USAF charges for the flights at average ticket prices for the flight, but the accommodations are vastly superior to flying coach. Air Force Three was an important symbol of power for Pelosi when she was speaker. Back in 2010 CBS News did an in depth report on Air Force Three;
Today, Speaker Pelosi (D-CA) regularly uses the military jets to travel to and from California, where she lives. Nine years after Sept. 11, her office says the service is still necessary for security reasons.

Yet security concerns were not cited by Assistant Defense Secretary Robert Wilkie when he discussed the shuttle service in 2007. The military shuttle support would be provided "as a courtesy in recognition of your position as Speaker of the House," says a letter from Wilkie to Pelosi on Feb. 7, 2007.

It continues: "Since the plan for continuity of the Presidency does not include routine use of military airlift for the Speaker of the House, this support is provided without any specific basis to your standing as Presidential successor or position in the line of succession."

The House Sergeant at Arms, who is elected by Members of Congress, issued a statement Oct. 1, 2010 saying he requested military aircraft for the speaker's use "based upon security concerns... Ongoing security assessments of the Speaker warrant continued use of such aircraft." Though security is a stated concern, no known directive requires the Speaker to use military transport.

"We can debate whether or not that type of security is required, or whether that security ought to mean luxury-style jets provided for by the military," says Tom Fitton of the conservative group Judicial Watch. "But either way, it's an expensive program."

Air Force Three

Not long before she lost her position as Speaker, Pelosi was vying for an upgrade from the Gulfstream V which seats twelve to use of Air Force Two, a 757 that seats 50 often used by Mrs. Obama when she and the President would fly separately to events.

Put her back in the Speaker's seat and I would expect such an upgrade to quickly follow as a way for President Trump to make peace with her. If he knows how to do one thing it is how to make allies of opponents through peace offerings.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 18:49:50

Is it unsafe to fly commercial? I was told we needed to create the TSA and stock it with government union people to keep us safe from the bad guys. I wasn't misled was I?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 20:18:53

Cog wrote:Is it unsafe to fly commercial? I was told we needed to create the TSA and stock it with government union people to keep us safe from the bad guys. I wasn't misled was I?

I don't know about where you live, but here at the San Francisco airport, the TSA is largely very large non-citizens of Phillipino origin. They confiscate a lot of "contraband", especially food items.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 20:15:41

pstarr wrote:Entire new staff is female, and under 16 lol
Actually they average about 26 years old with enough credentials and experience to sue you back into the stone age. You might not want to throw rocks into this pride of lionesses as they can if they notice you leave your carcass for the hyenas and the vultures.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 00:29:01

Cog wrote:Is it unsafe to fly commercial? I was told we needed to create the TSA and stock it with government union people to keep us safe from the bad guys. I wasn't misled was I?

If I ever have to fly commercial again, (I hope not), and I get tagged for a search, I plan to demand a female do the search. I'll claim to be extremely homophobic and only feel comfortable when searched by a female. 8)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 01:59:34

Tanada wrote:Not long before she lost her position as Speaker, Pelosi was vying for an upgrade from the Gulfstream V which seats twelve to use of Air Force Two, a 757 that seats 50 often used by Mrs. Obama when she and the President would fly separately to events.

Put her back in the Speaker's seat and I would expect such an upgrade to quickly follow as a way for President Trump to make peace with her. If he knows how to do one thing it is how to make allies of opponents through peace offerings.

And yet, the dems shriek about the expenses Trump causes for his security for recreation, etc. as if it's the end of the world. Funny how it only matters if its not a dem.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 10:24:00

In before Kavanaugh is accused of pushing her down the stairs. Amy Barrett needs to start packing her suitcase.

https://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/su ... bs-in-fall

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court says 85-year-old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg fractured three ribs in a fall in her office at the court and is in the hospital.
The court says the justice went to George Washington University Hospital in Washington early Thursday after experiencing discomfort overnight. The court says the fall occurred Wednesday evening.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 19:32:32

With Justice Ginsberg's failing health and the age of Justice Thomas' age there are reasnable expecations that President Trump could make wo additional appointments to SCOTUS before the next election. Even failing that the vacancy rate in lower federal courts is nearing all tme lows. During the Bush years the Senate was very slow to process nominations to the lower courts and during the Obama era he seemed to not care much and didn't even nominate to fill all the vacancies.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 19:38:52

I hear persistent rumosr that Thomas would like to retire but will only do so if a Republican president is in office. He should retire and be replaced with a younger justice. Inevitably Ginsberg won't beat the Grim Reaper forever and she will have to be replaced. If Trump does this correctly we will have a conservative court that will be with us for decades. This is why the left is so upset. They see what is coming and want it stopped by all means necessary.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion