Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Massive Insect "Die Off" in Europe

Re: Massive Insect "Die Off" in Europe

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 16 Sep 2016, 16:44:28

That was a happy thought?

You know, it's ok to think about things that have nothing to do with this.

Since there is nothing we can do about it, we need to make the best of the time we have left, which means not dwelling on it. Not heaping the dying biosphere upon our shoulders 24/7.

Play a game, read a (totally unrelated) book or watch a (totally unrelated) movie. Go out, disconnect, unplug.

It's ok to enjoy yourself without guilt or feelings of betrayal.

You need to be focusing on improving the quality of the time you have left. Make room for love and the others in your life. Make this the best time you can imagine.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ritter » Fri 16 Sep 2016, 18:50:58

Cid_Yama wrote:That was a happy thought?

You know, it's ok to think about things that have nothing to do with this.

Since there is nothing we can do about it, we need to make the best of the time we have left, which means not dwelling on it. Not heaping the dying biosphere upon our shoulders 24/7.

Play a game, read a (totally unrelated) book or watch a (totally unrelated) movie. Go out, disconnect, unplug.

It's ok to enjoy yourself without guilt or feelings of betrayal.

You need to be focusing on improving the quality of the time you have left. Make room for love and the others in your life. Make this the best time you can imagine.

Not my MO, unfortunately. But I do the best I can with distractions and enjoying simple beauty where it exists. The bees love my rosemary bushes, for what it's worth! :)
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 17 Sep 2016, 08:45:14

Yes Ritter. So sad. :(

Our coping is out on the boat.

We are still in Newfoundland where the scenery is beautiful.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JV153 » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 13:06:31

I always thought people who post on this site are somewhat neurotic.. we had about the most bees and wasps I've seen here in a long time.. no massive insect death here.
JV153

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 13:39:33

Here in Cascadia (Pacific Noethwest) - About 30 years or so ago, our windows would be covered by moths attracted by the light in the evening. Now, we're lucky to get 2 or 3. I had always thought the decline was related to the Gypsy Moth spraying that started back in the 80's. Other insects seem to be doing well.... but again, this is all anecdotal.
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JV153 » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 13:50:27

Pablo2079 wrote:Here in Cascadia (Pacific Noethwest) - About 30 years or so ago, our windows would be covered by moths attracted by the light in the evening. Now, we're lucky to get 2 or 3. I had always thought the decline was related to the Gypsy Moth spraying that started back in the 80's. Other insects seem to be doing well.... but again, this is all anecdotal.

The moths aren't the only thing attracted to that light..
JV153

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 09:53:02

Bye bye bugs? Scientists fear non-pest insects are declining

... Wagner, of the University of Connecticut, spends his summers teaching middle schoolers in a camp to look for insects, like he did decades ago. They have a hard time finding the cocoons he used to see regularly.

"The kids I'm teaching right now are going to think that scarce insects are the rule," Wagner said. "They're not realizing that there could be an ecological disaster on the horizon."
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 12:01:07

"...there could be an ecological disaster on the horizon"

I think it's a bit closer than the horizon! :cry:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 13:41:19

dohboi wrote:"...there could be an ecological disaster on the horizon"

I think it's a bit closer than the horizon! :cry:

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 17:32:10

My e perish s is that I see very few insect as compared to when I was a kid.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 20 Sep 2018, 23:12:51

and this past summer I have seen more spiders (more varieties than usual), more small bees and bumblebees, more flies than the last few years. And last year we saw more mosquitoes than we normally do and the year before more paper wasps than we normally do. And this year I saw fewer ladybugs and fewer grasshoppers than last year but more normal beetles. So what? The caddis hatch was pretty much predictable and normal when you look at the averages over the past couple of decades. As someone who likes to fly fish, I am pretty much aware of the bug population at any given time in my locale.

I think this sort of observation is pretty much a non-event statistically if you want to look at insect populations unless you take it into context the weather that year (wet springs mean more mosquitoes, hot summers often mean more wasps) and location. Anecdotal evidence is just that. With all the foofaraw about bees going extent over the last few years, I saw more bumblebees and small bees in our garden this year than in the last five years. At one point mid-summer, a large potentilla was covered in bees (dozens of them). How does that stand up to a global average...can't say. But when you look at how those averages are derived then you really need to ask yourself if the panic is justified.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:14:27

I live just on border of one of Poland's national parks and this year I hardly needed windscreen wash.
One fill lasted for about 5 months despite of very little rain so obviously there is something wrong with bugs.
Fewer mosquitos for sure. These are annoying for my wife, so if I hear hardly any whinning it tells me something.
There are wasps and hornets but also rather few. Butterflies gone rare. Fewer beetles than several years ago. Solitary bees which are active during spring were plentiful. They are together with bumblebees main pollinators in my garden, and I am preparing friendly environment for them every year (packs of straws where eggs can be laid, no bee toxic chemicals etc), so this is to a degree artificial.
I am reading that bed bugs are making a great comeback worldwide though.
National Park is nice, population of venomous snakes have grown in numbers considerably, you can see them often and they deter most of peoples from wandering where they shouldn't, so there is more for me to enjoy.
Good snakes, they keep stupid millenials out.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 22 Sep 2018, 00:25:52

National Park is nice, population of venomous snakes have grown in numbers considerably, you can see them often and they deter most of peoples from wandering where they shouldn't, so there is more for me to enjoy.
Good snakes, they keep stupid millenials out.
:lol:

(Vincent Price) Leaving Lepidoptera (please don't touch the display little boy) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDFbsAZsm0Y
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 26 Sep 2018, 13:02:38

Their is a fourth class of people now as well. Those who see and who don't care.

The insect die off is caused by all the chemtrail spraying. It needs to stop, insects repopulate quickly.

https://youtu.be/TDvLCPe8viU?t=4m24s
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 26 Sep 2018, 19:39:44

Rod_Cloutier wrote:

Their is a fourth class of people now as well. Those who see and who don't care.

The insect die off is caused by all the chemtrail spraying. It needs to stop, insects repopulate quickly.

https://youtu.be/TDvLCPe8viU?t=4m24s

And you just disqualified yourself from ever being taken seriously on the subject, outside the realm of the hysterical and the lunatic fringe. Congrats.

This isn't the dark ages. Science is a thing.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 23 Oct 2018, 05:15:06

Thesis: (Is) micro plastic the [b]main reason for the massive world wide insect die off?![/b]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscient ... add456d38d

A newly published study by a team of scientists at Cardiff University and University of Exeter reveals that microplastics can be found in at least half of all aquatic insects living in the rivers of South Wales (ref), indicating that freshwater is seriously compromised by plastic pollution. At all sites sampled, pieces of any type of plastic debris under five millimetres in length (“microplastics”) were found to have been ingested by half of the insects that the team surveyed. At all study sites, microplastics were found in insects of all species, regardless of whether they lived in the water column or on the riverbed.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180970373/

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2344 ... -study.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... arch-shows
https://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/young- ... s-sericeus

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5832226/
Bombshell: Exkurs
=> IQ Homo Sapiens Sapiens in Central Europe (source Arte TV)
http://parisinnovationreview.com/articl ... disruptors
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9613000470
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 10:34:42

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... e_left_1.1

Hyperalarming’ study shows massive insect loss
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission