Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Tight Oil By 2022?

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: Peak Tight Oil By 2022?

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 18:35:48

OS

Really good comment that touches upon just some of the factors that go into "real world" stuff.

Now, get this ...
In a few weeks, outfit called Clean Energy is set to unveil a potentially game changing paradigm.

Clean Energy was just partially bought out by Total (big bucks, global footprint, deep analytical resources).
With Total's financial backing - and in an effort to jump start this CNG adoption for vehicles nationwide, Clean Energy will offer a VERY attractive leasing program for CNG trucks using Cummings/Westport ISX12N natgas engine.

If it proves successful, Clean Energy will create numerous new customers for their CNG fueling stations.

It would appear to be only a matter of time for the transition from liquids (gasoline/diesel) to gaseous takes place.

With the adoption of IMO 2020 next year, competition for low sulphur diesel is set to soar ... further enhancing the allure of natgas.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 18:53:31

coffeeguyzz wrote:OS

Really good comment that touches upon just some of the factors that go into "real world" stuff.

Now, get this ...
In a few weeks, outfit called Clean Energy is set to unveil a potentially game changing paradigm.

It would appear to be only a matter of time for the transition from liquids (gasoline/diesel) to gaseous takes place.

With the adoption of IMO 2020 next year, competition for low sulphur diesel is set to soar ... further enhancing the allure of natgas.

Sounds great. I keep saying that I think we need ALL the sources of energy we have for the intermediate future, given BAU growth being the default paradigm. (I say this even as I root for the quickest transition to clean green energy that is "feasible". And I know -- good luck getting people to even agree on that.)

Even if I were 100% sure this would happen fairly promptly, I still wouldn't know how to confidently trade energy futures to profit on it (at an acceptable risk/reward ratio) though. Too many variables, boss! :)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 22:38:25

OS

Ultimate Black Swan in all this might be Nikola Motors, or something similar.
They have some VERY heavy hitters in their corner and are teaming up with some Norwegians who claim to be able to cheaply make hydrogen via solar powered electrolysis.

Their all electric truck has some amazing specs, is powered with an onboard hydrogen fuel cell, and the company (NM) will provide 1 million miles free fuel to truck lessors (no sales, just leased vehicles).

Plans are to start manufacturing shortly in Arizona with 2,000 employees.

Breathtakingly ambitious.
We shall see how/if it works in a year or so.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 10 Jun 2023, 11:58:39

It seemed like the US was getting close to peak tight oil, but once again a new technology is coming to the rescue!

Exxommobil now says they have developed new drilling and fracking technology that will double the amount of tight oil that can be produced by fracking.

exxon-new-fracking-technology-can-double-oil-output

We'll have to see how this actually all shakes out in the real world.

More oil seems like a good thing, but it also means more carbon in the atmosphere and more climate change.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 10 Jun 2023, 15:33:46

Plantagenet wrote:It seemed like the US was getting close to peak tight oil, but once again a new technology is coming to the rescue!

Backwoods geologists get suckered by this every time. Surely you know some of those USGS petroleum geologists you mentioned being as good as it gets in the past, and can ask them what they think prior to falling for whatever XOM or any other company spoon feeds into the MSM? After all, they are the best in the business, not like local yokels who spend their time babysitting undergrads.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models