Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE UK Thread Pt. 13

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: London Bridge Attack 6/03/2017

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 18:33:49

AdTheNad wrote: if Corbyn was PM I don't think he would drag us into any new wars creating the next wave of terrorists....

So the election of Corbyn would usher in a new millennium of peace and put an end to terror attacks by Islamist jihadis?

Somehow I doubt that.

There really isn't any strong connection between the Iraq War and the Libyan refugee who blew up all the little girls at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, you know. And the Islamists who run down people on the bridges in London and then get out to stab people don't even mention Iraq---in between stabbing and slashing Brits they said they were murdering people for Allah. If they are concerned about a ME war, they are concerned about Syria---not Iraq.

And look at France and Germany. France and Germany took no part in the Iraq War, and yet the Islamist terrorists show no hesitation about attacking France and Germany. There have been hundreds of people murdered in France and Germany just in the last year, not a single one of whom had anything to do with the Iraq War.

I take the terrorists at their word. If say they are murdering people for Allah, then thats what they believe they are doing. They think that are on jihad, fighting "the followers of the cross" and the "crusaders." Thats what they say in their martyrdom videos. Iraq never crosses their minds. Some of them are followers of the Caliphate and ISIS in Syria, but Iraq really doesn't seem to be a big issue anymore, except for older people who haven't kept up with current events since 2004.

Its a pleasant enough little fantasy that the election of Corbyn would end Islamic terror attacks in the UK, but IMHO its really just another deceptive fantasy.

CHEERS!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: London Bridge Attack 6/03/2017

Unread postby dissident » Sat 10 Jun 2017, 14:43:43

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status ... 7569345537

Sums up the PC insanity paralyzing a proper response to terrorism in the UK. The police are busy hunting "haters" on social media instead of actual terrorists.
dissident
Expert
Expert

UK ‘looking to other countries’ for natural gas supply amid

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 15:56:18

UK Prime Minister Theresa May said Wednesday the UK was "looking to other countries" for gas supply due to deteriorating relations with Russia triggered by the poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal in the UK. UK planning series of measures against Russia Russian gas not a big source of UK supply No UK gas price reaction, traders not concerned May was asked in the UK Parliament Wednesday by Conservative lawmaker Stephen Crabb whether she agreed that the UK "should not provide a market for Russian gas. She said: "Can I reassure [you] that when we are looking at our gas supplies, we are looking to other countries." Crabb also suggested that if the UK needed additional LNG imports it should instead look to "allies such as Qatar, Malaysia and Australia who are more than willing to sell it to us." The UK is

UK ‘looking to other countries’ for natural gas supply amid Russia spy row
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: UK ‘looking to other countries’ for natural gas supply a

Unread postby dissident » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 21:53:52

AdamB wrote:

UK Prime Minister Theresa May said Wednesday the UK was "looking to other countries" for gas supply due to deteriorating relations with Russia triggered by the poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal in the UK. UK planning series of measures against Russia Russian gas not a big source of UK supply No UK gas price reaction, traders not concerned May was asked in the UK Parliament Wednesday by Conservative lawmaker Stephen Crabb whether she agreed that the UK "should not provide a market for Russian gas. She said: "Can I reassure [you] that when we are looking at our gas supplies, we are looking to other countries." Crabb also suggested that if the UK needed additional LNG imports it should instead look to "allies such as Qatar, Malaysia and Australia who are more than willing to sell it to us." The UK is

UK ‘looking to other countries’ for natural gas supply amid Russia spy row

Good thing there, bitch. Russia does not need your filthy racist liar business.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: UK ‘looking to other countries’ for natural gas supply a

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 09:15:08

dissident wrote:
Good thing there, bitch. Russia does not need your filthy racist liar business.

The UK does not need Russian agents carrying out hostile acts on their territory either.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: United Kingdom: Gas (Integrated Energy Policy)

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 14:36:43

Donlan - Curious about any growing consensus in your neighborhood. I've decided only two likely possibilities: Putin/Russia is being framed or Putin ordered it and wanted the entire world to now he did. Otherwise why do it in such an easily traceable manner. And happening just before the election.

And either possibility fits the plot of more Hollywood movies then I can remember.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 15:36:39

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 15:53:01

The Russians (Soviets) have a track record in carrying out such acts against "traitors" so there is little doubt that is was state sponsored.
Putin is willing to accept criticism while denying any involvement as he knows that after a few tit for tat diplomatic actions ( these have just happened with a few diplomats being expelled in both directions) the whole world will move on to the next international incident.

It's just like the cold war all over again.
The biggest difference is that now, unlike when the Soviet Union was in power, there are now a large number of Russian citizens (upto to 100,000)in the UK and any one of them could be a potential sleeper agent.
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

London Terror 8/14/2018

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 14 Aug 2018, 16:18:00

A car plowed into pedestrians and cyclists near the Houses of Parliament in London during the morning rush hour Tuesday, injuring three people in what police suspect is the latest in a string of vehicle-based attacks in the British capital.

Armed police flooded the area after the incident was reported at 7:37 a.m., hauling the driver from the vehicle, arresting him and cordoning off streets surrounding the heart of Britain's government. The nearby Westminster subway station was closed, and police asked people to stay away from the area.

"Given that this appears to be a deliberate act, the method and this being an iconic site, we are treating it as a terrorist incident," Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu of the Metropolitan Police Service told reporters outside Scotland Yard.

A man in his late 20s was arrested on suspicion of terrorism offenses. The suspect was not cooperating with police, and officers were trying to confirm his identity, said Basu, who oversees U.K. counterterrorism policing. No other suspects have been identified and police believe there is no further threat to Londoners, he said.

Eyewitnesses said the silver car was traveling at high speed when it hit pedestrians and cyclists, then crashed into a barrier designed to protect Parliament from vehicle attack. Two people were taken to local hospitals and another was treated at the scene. One woman remained hospitalized Tuesday afternoon, but her injuries aren't believed to be life threatening, authorities said.

"The car drove at speed into the barriers outside the House of Lords. There was a loud bang from the collision and a bit of smoke," Ewelina Ochab told The Associated Press. "The driver did not get out. The guards started screaming to people to move away."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... story.html
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: London Terror 8/14/2018

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 14 Aug 2018, 17:12:53

Some Christians have what they call "come to Jesus" religious beliefs which involves getting down on their knees and accepting Jesus as their savior so they can go to heaven.

Some Muslims have what they call "come to Muhammad" religious beliefs which involves going on jihad and killing infidels so they can go to heaven.

Its the same kind of thing, really. All gods chillun want to go to heaven.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:02:14

Plantagenet wrote:Some Christians have what they call "come to Jesus" religious beliefs which involves getting down on their knees and accepting Jesus as their savior so they can go to heaven.

Some Muslims have what they call "come to Muhammad" religious beliefs which involves going on jihad and killing infidels so they can go to heaven.

Cheers!

So in your world of moral relativism killing people is the same as begging for forgiveness? Now THAT is a strange world view.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:32:54

Tanada wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Some Christians have what they call "come to Jesus" religious beliefs which involves getting down on their knees and accepting Jesus as their savior so they can go to heaven.

Cheers!

So in your world of moral relativism killing people is the same as begging for forgiveness? Now THAT is a strange world view.

No, of course not.

I'm pointing out that the Christian practice of accepting Jesus and begging forgiveness to go to heaven and the Muslim practice of accepting Muhammad and going on Jihad and killing infidels to go to heaven are both RELIGIOUS beliefs. Of course the actions themselves are very different, because Christianity and Islam are different relgions with different belief systems, but both are based on acceptance and faith in their respective Christian or Muslim religious doctrines and teachings.

The reasons I think this is a useful idea is that it explains why seemingly any Muslim can decide at any time to accept the more fundamentalist religious teachings of Islamist Islam and become a jihadi (i.e. a terrorist). From the religious perspective, its similar to what happens when a Christian decides to become a devout fundamentalist Christian.

It always seems odd when Muslims who have immigrated to Europe (or the US) and lived what seemed like normal peaceful lives for years at a time suddenly "flip" and decide they are jihadi warriors out to commit mass casualty attacks on the "infidels." But whats happened is that they have had a come-to-Muhammad conversion to a more fundamentalist version of Islam.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 Aug 2018, 16:56:32

I wonder if the London Mayor has opined yet again that "terror threats are part and parcel of living in a big city".
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 06:54:44

Plantagenet wrote:I'm pointing out that the Christian practice of accepting Jesus and begging forgiveness to go to heaven and the Muslim practice of accepting Muhammad and going on Jihad and killing infidels to go to heaven are both RELIGIOUS beliefs. Of course the actions themselves are very different, because Christianity and Islam are different relgions with different belief systems, but both are based on acceptance and faith in their respective Christian or Muslim religious doctrines and teachings.

The reasons I think this is a useful idea is that it explains why seemingly any Muslim can decide at any time to accept the more fundamentalist religious teachings of Islamist Islam and become a jihadi (i.e. a terrorist). From the religious perspective, its similar to what happens when a Christian decides to become a devout fundamentalist Christian.

It always seems odd when Muslims who have immigrated to Europe (or the US) and lived what seemed like normal peaceful lives for years at a time suddenly "flip" and decide they are jihadi warriors out to commit mass casualty attacks on the "infidels." But whats happened is that they have had a come-to-Muhammad conversion to a more fundamentalist version of Islam.

Cheers!

However in comparative religion studies I learned that Islam was spread to a large extent by proselytizing and violance is only a back up plan. Indeed Deerborn Mchgan 60 miles from Toledo is one of the largest mslim religious communities in North America and they don't have hundreds of terrorists cming out into Michigan and Ohio to attack people every year. The 1% who use islam as an excuse to kill are almost always first or second generation immigrants who compare their ideal world view with the culture they or their parents have moved to and get angry enough to kill. Look at the Black Muslm movement in the USA, they have over a million members born in the US of parents born in the US, but they spend their efforts trying to convert their fellow Americans, not terrorize them into conversion.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 12:29:24

Making an assumption about the existence of God; I think both the Fundamentalist Christians and the Radical Muslims serve a weak God. Their God can't take care of itself. Somehow, it needs their help. A loving God, on the other hand, doesn't need anyone's help. That God responds to what goes on inside of a person, coming to them when they realize they need help. If the person decides to walk away, they can. That God will always take them back, and use the experience to help or teach them. Most people who understand this sort of God don't leave, though. Those people understand rules, but they don't use them to make an appeal to God concerning what He has to be. They don't see God as an ogre who exists on the other side of a life lived at the behest of rules, which must always be followed or you lose Him. It makes you wonder if the more hard edged forms of religion aren't just people who absolutely refuse to give up control to God at all?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 23:20:58

evilgenius wrote:Making an assumption about the existence of God; I think both the Fundamentalist Christians and the Radical Muslims serve a weak God. Their God can't take care of itself. Somehow, it needs their help. A loving God, on the other hand, doesn't need anyone's help.

Given how little evidence there is that belonging to an organized religion, or praying, etc. makes any difference at all, calling any God "strong" seems rather far fetched.

The randomness persists, regardless. Whether some preacher says "You just have to have faith", or not.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 23:51:07

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
evilgenius wrote:Making an assumption about the existence of God; I think both the Fundamentalist Christians and the Radical Muslims serve a weak God. Their God can't take care of itself. Somehow, it needs their help. A loving God, on the other hand, doesn't need anyone's help.

Given how little evidence there is that belonging to an organized religion, or praying, etc. makes any difference at all, calling any God "strong" seems rather far fetched.

The randomness persists, regardless. Whether some preacher says "You just have to have faith", or not.

This is where you make a fundamental error. Faith is a fully subjective experience. By having faith and practicing certain doctrines based on that faith I experience great comfort when troubling things happen to me, my loved ones, my neighbors or my country. I seek to promte justice, not revenge or retribution when I or any f the above are wronged. I also seek to influence the leadership of my town/county/state/federal government to do the same. Many of the things the USA does now are anathama to my sense of justice, but so far TOTB have not gotten sufficient push back from the voters to end those practices. I still have hope this situation will change for the better in the future. However if God were constantly intervening that would remov the responsibility of acting as a good citizen, not to mention destroy the concept of Free Will.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:50:20

Subjectivist wrote:Deerborn Mchgan 60 miles from Toledo is one of the largest mslim religious communities in North America and they don't have hundreds of terrorists cming out .... to attack people every year.

Actually, various Muslim communities in the US are producing hundreds of American Islamic terrorists, and they are going to out to attack people. Fortunately, so far they've mainly been joining and fighting with Muslim terrorist groups overseas. By latest count about 300 US Muslims went to fight with ISIS in Syria and at least 40 other US Muslims went to fight with the El Shabab Islamic terrorist organization in Africa. No doubt there are hundreds more with similar viewpoints still in the United States who didn't make the arduous journeys to Syria and Africa.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:59:26

Plantagenet wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Deerborn Mchgan 60 miles from Toledo is one of the largest mslim religious communities in North America and they don't have hundreds of terrorists cming out .... to attack people every year.

Actually, various Muslim communities in the US are producing hundreds of American Islamic terrorists, and they are going to out to attack people. Fortunately, so far they've mainly been joining and fighting with Muslim terrorist groups overseas. By latest count about 300 US Muslims went to fight with ISIS in Syria and at least 40 other US Muslims went to fight with the El Shabab Islamic terrorist organization in Africa. No doubt there are hundreds more with similar viewpoints still in the United States who didn't make the arduous journeys to Syria and Africa.

Cheers!

Must I point out that hundreds, perhaps thousands of Americans of all faiths are currently employed as 'military contractors' doing the same thing for money rather than ideology?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 17 Aug 2018, 12:14:48

Tanada wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:

Cheers!

Must I point out that hundreds, perhaps thousands of Americans of all faiths are currently employed as 'military contractors' doing the same thing for money rather than ideology?

Yup.

A large number people in the US and elsewhere engage in war for money, and patriotism is also very important, but there are also some people who fight primarily because of their religious beliefs. I find it curious that Islamic people fight wars (or engage in terrorism) for religious reasons because we in the west don't normally think of religions and religous people as being violent or warlike.

Jihad (religious war) is a central tenet of Islamic religious belief and has been ever since the founding of Islam by Muhammad, and Islamic religious doctrine holds that martyrdom in jihad is a sure fire way to get into Muslim heaven, where the martyrs are promised palaces filled with myriads of virgins eager to help them enjoy eternity.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion