PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Re: THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 06:42:03

330 million (???) x 0.7% = 2,310,000

US population increasing by more than 2 million per year

That's another Houston ( 2.3 million ) each year

Or another Dallas (1.3million ) and a another San Francisco (870,000 ) each year

Or another Denver (700,000 ) and another Boston (680,000 ) and another Las Vegas (650,000 ) each year

Take your pick
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 08:36:25

We moved out.

Canada's population has topped the 37-million mark, but Newfoundland and Labrador wasn't any help, according to numbers released by Statistics Canada on Thursday.

The province was the only one where the population dropped in the first three months of 2018 — by 0.3 per cent to just under 526,000.

This includes Labrador, the island propper has under 500,000. It is the same size as Pennsylvania which has about 13 million.

New Zealand, somewhat over twice the size, has just under 5 million.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 09:21:17

Here's a clue about how population actually gets curbed in modern society:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/63423286 ... o-marriage
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 13:53:26

Yeah, I don’t do Audio or Video. Too much bandwidth, too much time. Too hard to really understand what they are going on about. Nice text articles are good.

In know, I’m old school, I still read.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:51:40

37838914_2111914982215716_1904596079110782976_o.jpg
I think you like graphics also Newf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 17:53:54

"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 20:11:15

Ya know, there is something just wrong with that graphic. How many earths would we need if we lived like India is 0.7?

If we populated the USA to Indias current population density (per unit of aerable land) we would have 4 times as many folks as we do, or about 1.3 BILLION. AND our population would be sky rocketing. If we did it at China’s land usage rate we would have 5 BILLION in the USA alone.

No I agree we need to reduce our energy usage and consumption drastically, cut it to one quarter of where we are (to match India) would be a great start.

But then India should cut its population to match the USA density (which I still think is too high.). That also would be a great start.

I’m betting it’s a whole lot easier for the USA to cut energy use and consumption by 75% than for India to cut population by 75%. But if they keep screwing with Pakistan’s water it may happen.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 20:41:48

Newf still doesn't get the function of C, apparently, in the old formula C(onsumption) x P(opulation) = I(mpact)

Meanwhile, here's the transcript from the bit at the link above...it wasn't up yet at the time that I posted:

Why Young Chinese Aren't Rushing Into Marriage

Transcript

July 31, 20187:16 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Rob Schmitz 2016 square

China's young adults are moving to the city and making more money. They're pickier about their marriage prospects and that has China's government worried about a rapidly decreasing marriage rate.

NOEL KING, HOST:

Record numbers of Chinese people are moving to cities, and record numbers of them are also deciding to hold off on getting married. The marriage rate in China has plunged by 30 percent in the past five years, and this is making the Chinese government very worried. NPR's Rob Schmitz has the story.

ROB SCHMITZ, BYLINE: At a market in Shanghai, people are hustling to sell their goods. And at this market inside People's Park, their goods are their grown children.

(Speaking Chinese).

MRS. WANG: (Speaking Chinese).

SCHMITZ: Mrs. Wang is lined up among hundreds of other parents all standing behind umbrellas with signs taped to them advertising their unmarried children. We read hers together.

(Speaking Chinese).

MRS. WANG: (Speaking Chinese).

SCHMITZ: Born in 1985, studied in the U.K., short, has a Shanghai residence permit, owns her own apartment. Wang has come to Shanghai's marriage market each weekend for the past three months to try and find a suitable husband for her daughter.

MRS. WANG: (Through interpreter) She doesn't agree with what I'm doing, but she respects her parents' wishes. Young people these days don't care about marriage. They don't pay enough attention to our traditional values. Their views are becoming more Western.

SCHMITZ: Wang blames her daughter's single status at the age of 33 on the seven years she spent in the U.K., where she became more independent. But there are other reasons why young Chinese aren't rushing into marriage. Thirty-year-old Dai Xuan, who works as the editor of a luxury magazine in Shanghai, says hers are economic.

DAI XUAN: (Through interpreter) Bizarre in China, you married to survive. Now I'm living all by myself so I have higher expectations in marriage.

SCHMITZ: Like many young urban Chinese, Dai studied abroad. She lived in Norway, and she enjoys her job. She says she's not in a rush to get married.

DAI: (Through interpreter) People my age laugh at those who get married early because only rural people without an education do that. It's not that successful women don't want to marry. It's that making money makes us pickier.

SCHMITZ: But that can work both ways, says Josephine Pan. The 45-year-old is the Shanghai CEO of FCB, an advertising firm. She says in a traditional society like China's, men are intimidated by her title.

JOSEPHINE PAN: They don't want a female CEO as a girlfriend or wife. They maybe feel it's a big threat to them. I'm not an arrogant person, like, all the time show off my title. I keep it very low-profile. But, no matter how low you keep, you're intimidating them.

SCHMITZ: While men outnumber women among China's overall population, at Chinese universities women have outnumbered men for the past two decades. And that means more women who have career trajectories they don't want to jeopardize by marrying and having children.

LETA HONG FINCHER: What's happening on the ground with these particularly urban, educated women is completely at odds with what the Chinese government wants the women to be doing.

SCHMITZ: Leta Hong Fincher is the author of the forthcoming book, "Betraying Big Brother: The Feminist Awakening In China." She says China's Communist Party has tried propaganda campaigns, matchmaking events and has even ended the decades-old one-child policy to persuade educated young women to marry and start families. But declining birth rates show none of this is working. The party's problem boils down to this. Projections show by 2030 there will be more Chinese over the age of 65 than under 14. For the first time in a century, China will be facing a shortage of workers and an oversupply of non-working seniors, an economic problem that Hong Fincher says will become a political one.

HONG FINCHER: It relates to, ultimately, to the survival of the Communist Party. How do they continue exerting control when you have all these chaotic forces - young people, young women in particular, who are all wanting to do their own thing rather than follow the dictates of the government and marry early and have babies?

SCHMITZ: And it's not only women who are opting to forgo marriage. Twenty-six-year-old Yuan Ruiyu says he and his friends are under pressure from both the government and their parents to hurry up and marry, and it's having the opposite effect on them. He says it's making them question why they should marry in the first place.

YUAN RUIYU: (Through interpreter) In China, young people are supposed to do as they're told by their parents and their government. But it's a trap. It's not for our own good, but for theirs.

SCHMITZ: Yuan says as more and more of his peers leave their hometowns, study abroad and find jobs they like, they become more and more independent. And marriage, one of the most personal decisions someone can make, becomes their decision, not anyone else's. Rob Schmitz, NPR News, Shanghai.

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 01 Aug 2018, 15:57:28

No Dohboi, you just can read.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 01 Aug 2018, 16:34:04

Well, I can read this! :)

Population projections for India may be too high:

"Since education level across all of India has increased over time, and is associated with a lower fertility rate, the same projection may predict a drastically smaller population when accounting for education and increasing urbanisation.

Combining both effects, the influence of education appears to dominate, resulting in a lower population projection."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... aEkwL.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 01 Aug 2018, 18:20:42

So what? Are you trying to argue the USA should have been the population of India? Are you saying over population is not an issue?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 02 Aug 2018, 04:41:55

Now who can't read? :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 05 Aug 2018, 15:12:09

If this finding could be widely enough circulated, it could go some way toward addressing population growth issues.

According To Science, The Best Age To Have Kids Is After 35

According to a recent study by the University of Southern California, scientists now believe that best age to have a baby and give birth is after the age of 35, as it improves the mental abilities of the mother.

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 12:11:35

That is not such a good idea dohboi. Giving birth after the age of 35 greatly increases the risk that your baby will have Down syndrome and many other health risks for both mother and child.

There is one key risk factor for Down syndrome: maternal age. A 25-year-old woman has a 1 in 1,200 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome; by 35, the risk has increased to 1 in 350; by age 40, to 1 in 100; and by 49, it's 1 in 10, according to the National Down Syndrome Society.
Are You at Risk of Having a Baby With Down Syndrome?

Women who are at least 35 years old when they give birth are much more likely than younger mothers to experience a variety of major pregnancy complications. Research has linked what’s known as advanced maternal age to problems like high blood pressure and diabetes during pregnancy and a higher risk of death and severe complications for babies.

Women 35 and older were also eight times more likely to have amniotic fluid enter their bloodstream, a complication that can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction. Mothers 40 and older were almost 16 times more likely to have kidney failure and almost three times more likely to have obstetric shock, when organs don’t get enough blood and oxygen. These women were also almost five times more likely to either have complications from interventions done to help deliver the baby or be admitted to intensive care units. The findings add to evidence linking advanced maternal age to a higher risk of problems for mothers and babies.
Severe birth complications more common with older mothers
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 13:57:39

No problem. Make abortions of defective kids the norm, and that problem goes away.

I come from a family of doctors many generations back, so I know that it was common practice for doctors to quietly dispose of malformed or defective newborns and just tell the mother that it 'died at birth.' These kinds of 'kind cruelty' are of course not allowed any more. But we now can detect most of these conditions quite early and abort accordingly.

Here, as with much else, rights to abortion and other women's rights are key to reducing and reversing population growth.

Anyone who is deeply concerned about population is either also a radical feminist, or an idiot (or worse).
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 14:39:49

False positives also increase considerably with age:

At 15 years of age the detection rate was 77% at a 1.9% false positive rate, 84% at a 4% false positive rate at age 30, rising to 100% at a 67% false positive rate at age 49.
Age related detection and false positive rates when screening for Down's syndrome

And you are ignoring the plethora of health risks for the mother.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 07 Aug 2018, 07:59:10

Having a baby is always a risky thing to do.

Give women educations and rights and most will not want to have kids at 15 and would far prefer to put off child bearing till into their late twenties or thirties, regardless of your claimed risks. In any case, at least one study seems to have concluded that advantages of late birth outweigh risks, and that's without considering the (ultimately much more important) benefits of controlling and reversing population growth.

In general, the health of the mother and reliable access to good care are far more determinative of successful birth than age of the mother.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 07 Aug 2018, 08:49:09

It's pretty irrelevent in any case. Waiting until later to have kids has minimal benefit if you still have more kids than are needed for replacements. The fact that you and your kids live fewer years together also would have cultural impacts.

We can only fix this problem by ending births in the Third World in any case. Many First World populations - such as for example the USA with a population of 340 million - are already at or below replacement rates, and would have a falling population sans immigrants.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 07 Aug 2018, 09:35:44

dohboi wrote:No problem. Make abortions of defective kids the norm, and that problem goes away.

I come from a family of doctors many generations back, so I know that it was common practice for doctors to quietly dispose of malformed or defective newborns and just tell the mother that it 'died at birth.' These kinds of 'kind cruelty' are of course not allowed any more. But we now can detect most of these conditions quite early and abort accordingly.

Here, as with much else, rights to abortion and other women's rights are key to reducing and reversing population growth.

Anyone who is deeply concerned about population is either also a radical feminist, or an idiot (or worse).

Bragging that your family murdered newborns doesn't do you much credit. You do realize that there is no statute of limitations on murder? The death cult rolls on.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 07 Aug 2018, 14:21:24

dohboi wrote:Give women educations and rights and most will not want to have kids at 15 and would far prefer to put off child bearing till into their late twenties or thirties, regardless of your claimed risks.
My claimed risks? You think I am making this up doiboi? I thought you came from a family of doctors? Do you really not know about the health risks of older mothers? If that is the case, I recommend you do some reading on this topic. Here are a few links to get you started:

Severe birth complications more common with older mothers

Are You at Risk of Having a Baby With Down Syndrome?

* The risk of pregnancy loss is higher.
* The risk of chromosome abnormalities is higher.
* You might need a C-section.
* You're more likely to develop gestational diabetes.
* You're more likely to develop high blood pressure during pregnancy.
* You're more likely to have a low birth weight baby and a premature birth.
The Mayo Clinic: Pregnancy after 35: Healthy moms, healthy babies

March Of Dimes: PREGNANCY AFTER AGE 35
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate