Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Healing The Partisan Divide Pt. 3

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Healing The Partisan Divide Pt. 3

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 21 Jul 2018, 15:08:20

Newfie wrote:Here we diverge Pops. I don’t see one party as superior to the other, they both seem to support and enlarge the monied class. The “difference” are just props to stir up the minions. It makes much noise and smoke and hides the behind the scenes maneuvering. Obama was all about “drill baby drill”, don’t believe me? READ the text of his big climate change speech. Hillary was a globalist and war hawk.

If there is to be a new movement it has to come from outside the established parties. That’s why I encourage looking for a different axis, not left/right but up/down. Up being the established parties, down being the masses.

Well, getting back on topic :)

This is the inevitable class structure for a non-egalitarian society:

Wealthy
Middle Class
Non-propertied Class

The Partisan Divide is a convenient way for the wealthy class to divide everyone else, so this is something they wish to keep.

If everyone but the wealthy is represented as a tree truck with a crack, the Partisan Divide is the wedge being driven through it. It is also the great distraction while the robber class makes off with everything.

So, we have a cultural divide and a class divide and an intellectual divide. I'm finished for now :-D
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 21 Jul 2018, 16:08:32

Also, explain this to me:

"While Americans overall were nearly evenly divided on whether American culture and way of life have changed for worse (51 percent) or better (48 percent) since the 1950s, white evangelical Protestants were likelier than any other demographic group to say things have changed for the worse since the 1950s (74 percent)."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/robert-jones-white-christian-america/532587/

Someone here said that never have a more privileged bunch of people felt that their lot was so much under attack. This is part of that culture war raging. It's a war of perceptions, not of any actual privilege.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 21 Jul 2018, 16:56:21

How do you know white evangelical Protestants where not actually more disadvantaged in that period? Is there some stat for that?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Sat 21 Jul 2018, 18:40:38

Good stuff Jed.

In 1950 white males were privileged, they could go to any college, vote, get any job, go anywhere, do anything or anyone. Not so women, minorities, gays or longhairs or whatever nonconforming "type." White women could do lots more than other women too.

2018 and white men can still do all the things—but— so can lots of people who couldn't back when America was great. The meme is:

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

The white male is no longer so top of the heap. he's still able to do anything, except play grab ass, call people boy or the infamous N word — oh, and no stewardess jokes either. Women with traditional attitudes in many cases probably feel the loss of prestige as well, maybe even pressure to "do it all" when they'd rather not. I'm certain one reason men and women alike hate HRC with such a vengeance is just that, "I'm not staying home and baking cookies" made staying home baking cookies sound like failing when it really isn't. It is intimidating to both sexes.

I grew up an evangelical, mostly southern baptist. The convention was born when it split from anti-slavery northern baptists before the civil war. Why they would feel put out because the great old tradition of burning crosses is now frowned upon is pretty self-explanatory.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 21 Jul 2018, 18:57:55

The Partisan Divide was architected by conservative Republicans and is now a lucrative business and has a life of it's own:

How Pizzagate Pusher Mike Cernovich Keeps Getting People Fired
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-cernovich-james-gunn-fired_us_5b5265cce4b0fd5c73c570ac

There is no healing or rapprochement, it is winner take all. (Democrats don't even realize they're in a war and, so, they are part of the problem.)

Give me a break Newfie. Every group has benefited since the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's except for the feeling of being left behind, perhaps.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 07:43:46

OK, so you’ve got no stats then. Look, I was just asking a question question not breaking your stones. If you don’t know then you don’t know. But is suspect there are certain groups that benifited less than others. Blacks are often mentioned.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 08:48:07

Totally agree. The Partisan Divide is a concoction of TPTB, to divide, control and distract us. I think a quote from a book, I once read "1984", is apt here.
"It was possible, no doubt, to imagine a society in which wealth, in the sense of personal possessions and luxuries, should be evenly distributed, while power remained in the hands of a small privileged caste. But in practice such a society could not long remain stable. For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function, and they would sweep it away. In the long run, a hierarchical society was only possible on a basis of poverty and ignorance.”
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 09:55:41

Democrats have controlled the reins of power in the large cities for decades with mayors, city councils, and police chiefs. To blame Republicans for the partisan divide and to blame them for what goes on in the cities is ludicrous.

Democrats have played plantation politics with black people since they were formed as a party. Not a thing has changed from their perspective.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 10:43:12

That is true. It’s also true those Souther Democrats largely became Republicans after LBJ. So welcome to the party brother.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 11:18:47

Newfie wrote:OK, so you’ve got no stats then. Look, I was just asking a question question not breaking your stones. If you don’t know then you don’t know. But is suspect there are certain groups that benifited less than others. Blacks are often mentioned.

I was only ribbing you! I bet as a group they did rather well. It is preservation of undeserved privilege that is probably a key driver of this divide. The more undeserved it is, the greater is the need to justify their privilege.

Anyway, I don't understand this divide. It's almost like role playing. Once you get in the role, you have to play your part. It is easier than ad lib'ing.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 11:35:46

One of the main people fanning the flames of the partisan divide is Rep. Maxine Waters (D) ---she just organized a demonstration involving flag burning and then urged her supporters to "take Trump out."

While flag burning is constitutionally protected, its unusual for a member of Congress to be involved with it. I can see no other purpose in such flag burning except to insult people who are patriotic and respect the flag. And the kind of extremist threatening rhetoric that Maxine Waters (D) engages in is potentially very dangerous. We already had one extremist D try to murder several R Congressmen practicing for a charity softball game--- we don't need more such craziness.

Burning the flag with Rep. Maxine Waters (D)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 11:38:46

Jedrider,

Re: The divide: That is very true. I had a strong reaction to the public reaction to Trump in Helsinki. I read the transcripts and was personnaly not alarmed. Yeah, Trump was a twit, but his is often a twit and he gets going on these ego things. He has been hard on Russia and now he is trying to deal, so he is being softer. That is his MO, does it all the time.

The PUBLICS or at least the media’s response was over the top. As a kid I was bullied a lot and I know what it’s like to have a gang turn on you. I’ve become pretty sensitive to gang behavior and I see it here in the USA, I see the liberal media trying to whip it up.

I did see an article in the Washington Post noting that Trump has been harder on Russia than Obama ever was. Good for them. And good for Rand Paul.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 21:26:11

Newfie wrote:I find it really hard to find a President I truly admire.

I like Abe.
Prolly 'cos he's my cuz*

*(3 cousin 6x removed - on the "undistinguished" side LOL)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 13:09:01

Newfie wrote:I find it really hard to find a President I truly admire.

I'm very fond of Thomas Jefferson. He was the genius of the revolution--- a complex, brilliant, scholarly person who lived a very full intellectual and cultured life, wrote the Declaration of Independence, and is the moving spirit behind American ideas like freedom of speech and freedom of thought and religion.

When I'm in DC I like to go visit his memorial---a beautiful replica of a Roman-style temple. Jefferson's statue won't be there much longer because either some raving leftist mob will eventually attack it and deface and destroy it and disappear him from history because he was slave owner, or we'll get a D administration that will quietly take it away under cover of night and rename the whole memorial so it is more "politically correct".

Once all the confederate statues are defaced or removed or destroyed, Jefferson will be the next target.

duke-jefferson-statue-removal-taking-down-history
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 15:09:11

Newfie wrote:That is true. It’s also true those Souther Democrats largely became Republicans after LBJ. So welcome to the party brother.

Other than left wing talking points you got any evidence to back up that statement? I have met a lot of folks in both parties and the older generation of D tend to fall into the racist dirtbag group in my experience. You know the kind, smile in your face and say the right things, then knife you in the back as soon as you let your guard down. The younger generation is better in that respect, at least wear their hate on their sleeve, so to speak. Not that R's are angles by any stretch, but I don't see this massive group of racists D's who supposedly migrated into the R camp without opposition and were instead welcomed with open arms as the narrative claims.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 15:48:27

Tanada wrote:
Newfie wrote:That is true. It’s also true those Souther Democrats largely became Republicans after LBJ. So welcome to the party brother.

Other than left wing talking points you got any evidence to back up that statement?

July 15, 2005

MILWAUKEE -- The head of the Republican National Committee issued a sweeping apology to the NAACP yesterday for a decades-old practice of writing off the black vote and using racial polarization to win elections.

RNC chairman Ken Mehlman said civil rights legislation pushed by President Lyndon Johnson, a Democrat, in the 1960s solidified black support for that party for decades and ''we Republicans did not effectively reach out."

''Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," he added. ''I am here as Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

http://archive.boston.com/news/nation/a ... rman_says/
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 16:11:52

As I've said forever it was '64

Here's the map in '60, JFK vs Nixon

Here in '64 with Goldwater vs LBJ (Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act)

maps http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/showelec ... ?year=1964

Since then it has been the Ds continually taking whatever last cycle's minority for granted in the eternal quest for another little sliver of grievance they can break off, latest is trading blue collar deplorables for LGBTQ_ _ _ people.
Pops
Elite
Elite

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion