Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wind & Solar Are Wrong Path Pt. 2

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Wind & Solar Are Wrong Path Pt. 2

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 18 May 2018, 16:23:09

I couldn't agree with Smil more . . . up to a point. Global warming has nothing to do with the discussion. Never did.

I live in one place in America where off-grid living is a major lifestyle and economic reality. It was invented up here. Real Goods Solar
Early years
In 1977, 29-year-old John Schaeffer lived on an off-grid community in Mendocino County, California, and commuted 35 miles (56 km) to work each day as a computer operator. As one of the few people with a vehicle and a job in town, he became the designated person to pick up supplies for the community. This led him to create his own general store that sold all the “real goods” for off-grid living at fair prices. In 1978, Schaeffer took $3,000 in savings and a $5,000 loan from his father and opened the first Real Goods store in Willits, California.

One day, a man from Los Angeles arrived at the store with a Porsche full of solar panels. First developed at Bell Laboratories in the 1950s and used in the 1960s in the NASA space program,[2] solar panels had yet to find commercial applications. On a whim, John bought 100 of these novel 9-Watt panels for $600 apiece. He quickly sold them for $900 each to people interested in simple living in Mendocino County who also wanted to enjoy light fixtures, TV and a few of mainstream civilization’s other creature comforts without doing business with utilities. These sales made Real Goods one of the first companies to sell a solar panel commercially in the United States.[3] The success of the Willits store prompted Schaeffer to open an additional store in Ukiah, California, in 1980 and a third store in Santa Rosa, California in 1982. That same year, Real Goods published the first edition of The Solar Living Source Book, which was written as a comprehensive source for sustainable living principles and practices.

By 1985, Real Goods' annual sales were $3 million, but growth was erratic, and all three retail stores were closed. Schaeffer invested his last $3,000 in a 16-page catalog and rejuvenated the company as a mail order business operating out of his garage, sending catalogs to the 2,000-name mailing list the company had accumulated.[4] Customers returned and the company was revived.

America's marijuana is still produced here in Northern California. Most of said productions occurs far far far off-grid in or around Humboldt's Six River and Mendocino National Forests. Those folks live and work with a lot of home grown energy.

I will tell you this. With confidence. None of the marijuana is grown with solar, hyro or wind power. Few if any of the homesteads even light bug zappers with alt energy. It's all about big, ugly, smelly gas generators. Always has been. The hippies . . . no one off grid lives on that stuff.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 18 May 2018, 17:05:16

jawagord wrote:I like this commentary, "the slayer of bullshit" ! So appropriate for those thinking renewables are going to power the future.
[i]
Smil has forced climate advocates to reckon with the vast inertia sustaining the modern world's dependence on fossil fuels, and to question many of the rosy assumptions underlying scenarios for a rapid shift to alternatives.

How about what seems to be ACTUALLY HAPPENING? Like a SLOW shift towards alternatives?

Just because a big problem can't be solved in 5 minutes, or 5 years, or even (completely in) 5 decades doesn't mean renewables can't help a lot.

But let's pretend name calling changes the math, the facts on the ground, the economics, or all the signs of progress. Even without the high CO2 taxes the AGW situation warrants.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 18 May 2018, 17:11:58

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
jawagord wrote:I like this commentary, "the slayer of bullshit" ! So appropriate for those thinking renewables are going to power the future.
[i]
Smil has forced climate advocates to reckon with the vast inertia sustaining the modern world's dependence on fossil fuels, and to question many of the rosy assumptions underlying scenarios for a rapid shift to alternatives.

How about what seems to be ACTUALLY HAPPENING? Like a SLOW shift towards alternatives?

Just because a big problem can't be solved in 5 minutes, or 5 years, or even (completely in) 5 decades doesn't mean renewables can't help a lot.

But let's pretend name calling changes the math, the facts on the ground, the economics, or all the signs of progress. Even without the high CO2 taxes the AGW situation warrants.

We never had five years. It would have taken 20 to wean ourselves off petroleum. The alternative infrastructure does not and will not exist. We blew it. Peak oil is in the rear view mirror . . . Nov. 2016 to be precise.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 20 May 2018, 13:25:54

pstarr wrote:We never had five years. It would have taken 20 to wean ourselves off petroleum. The alternative infrastructure does not and will not exist. We blew it. Peak oil is in the rear view mirror . . . Nov. 2016 to be precise.

Your usual nonsense. The peak wasn't 2016, as production of liquid fuels continues to rise, as you've been shown, and ignored.

It will take probably 30 or 40 years to wean ourselves off petroleum. That's unfortunate. But pretending it's doom in less than five years is just the usual zerohedge make wild nonsensical hysterical prediction, wait for it to fail, rinse and repeat mantra the fast crash doom crowd keeps trying to spread FUD with.

Why should we ever believe your type again?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 20 May 2018, 14:56:59

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
pstarr wrote:We never had five years. It would have taken 20 to wean ourselves off petroleum. The alternative infrastructure does not and will not exist. We blew it. Peak oil is in the rear view mirror . . . Nov. 2016 to be precise.

Your usual nonsense. The peak wasn't 2016, as production of liquid fuels continues to rise, as you've been shown, and ignored.

Yes the peak was Nov. 2016 as per the Energy Information Agency of the United States government.

TABLE 11.1B WORLD CRUDE OIL PRODUCTION: PERSIAN GULF NATIONS, NON-OPEC, AND WORLD

Now of course you'll find some idiot industry whore claiming lighter fluid from natural gas condensate, corn liquor or camp stove fuel to be gasoline.

I'll save you the trouble. It was your buddy GW Bush who initiated the process in 2005, when he unilaterally declared distilled-corn ethanol to be gasoline. So one may reasonably deduct about 1 million barrels per day from the Nov. 2016 figure and set peak back about five years, to 2011. No wonder that $100/barrel crude price explosion

But all sorts of liars and cheaters under Obama continued the lie. It helps with campaign contributions. And hiring you intern-types.

They BuyPartisan: ExxonMobil Donates $260,000 to Obama ...

Outcast_Searcher wrote:It will take probably 30 or 40 years to wean ourselves off petroleum. That's unfortunate. But pretending it's doom in less than five years is just the usual zerohedge make wild nonsensical hysterical prediction, wait for it to fail, rinse and repeat mantra the fast crash doom crowd keeps trying to spread FUD with.

Why should we ever believe your type again?

Only in your fevered imagination. It must be nice to be on mood elevators. [smilie=3some.gif] Post peak you might want to try ginseng or even marijuana. I know Planty now approves! :) 8)
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 15:57:19

Carbon Emissions Rose in 2017 Despite Record Solar & Wind -- More Proof They Can't Save The Climate

Carbon emissions are on the rise despite record-breaking deployment of renewables, according to new BP Energy data released today.

“Despite the extraordinary growth in renewables in recent years,” said BP, “and the huge policy efforts to encourage a shift away from coal into cleaner, lower carbon fuels, there has been almost no improvement in the power sector fuel mix over the past 20 years.”

The data is further evidence that dilute and unreliable sources of energy like solar and wind cannot replace coal and other fossil fuels and will not lead to significant reductions in carbon emissions.

Coal grew one percent in 2017 — its first growth since 2013. For the last few years, energy analysts had speculated that we had reached “peak coal,” thanks to abundant cheap natural gas.

Natural gas consumption grew three percent globally and a whopping 15 percent in China in 2017.

The last few years have seen huge amounts of hype about India’s investment in solar, but according to BP, the global rise in coal consumption came mostly from India, and to a lesser extent, China.

LINKY
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 16:24:04

The only way that carbon dioxide emissions could be reduced by solar and wind would be when existing FF plants were retired and replaced with renewables. That simply does not happen, both the existing and new power plants are used, because the demand for energy is ever-increasing.

It's another result of population increase. With a stable or dwindling population, we could retire FF power plants with carbon-free power. But in a land with an increasing birth rate, or one with a population increasing via immigration, we won't make progress on carbon emissions reductions.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 18:30:03

KaiserJeep wrote: .......

It's another result of population increase. With a stable or dwindling population, we could retire FF power plants with carbon-free power. But in a land with an increasing birth rate, or one with a population increasing via immigration, we won't make progress on carbon emissions reductions.

Or perhaps giving people a financial incentive to make changes,, like a carbon tax and dividend program. Those who choose a high consumption lifestyle can pay those who don't. I can't think of a more fair system.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 18:57:28

How are those rose-colored glasses?

In the real world, you get the choice of buying grid power or making your own. You are one of the few that makes your own. The rest of us pay for whatever mix of FF energy, nuclear power, hydropower, and renewable energy that the local electric utility is selling that day.

My own electric company has pricing tiers for time-of-day, total consumption per billing period, and offers net metering if you make some of your own via solar PV. Since I shut off my swimming pool pump, I make more power than I use, which reduces the gas portion of the bill, almost to zero in the Summer. I get credited for power at the retail rate, making the grid a huge, infinite capacity and cost-free lossless battery - it's great.

I still have resentment over the last time they tried to do something like you suggest, and deregulated electrical power, which supposedly offered individual consumers the choice of buying "Green" power at a higher rate. This left California at the mercy of the spot power market, and we paid up to 62X the average rate for energy as a result of not arranging power purchase agreements in advance. First we recalled the Governor, then borrowed money for the electricity. We just paid off those bonds, and I have no interest in letting foolish politicians mess with something as important as grid power again.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 23:48:08

KaiserJeep wrote:How are those rose-colored glasses?

In the real world, you get the choice of buying grid power or making your own. You are one of the few that makes your own. The rest of us pay for whatever mix of FF energy, nuclear power, hydropower, and renewable energy that the local electric utility is selling that day.

My own electric company has pricing tiers for time-of-day, total consumption per billing period, and offers net metering if you make some of your own via solar PV. Since I shut off my swimming pool pump, I make more power than I use, which reduces the gas portion of the bill, almost to zero in the Summer. I get credited for power at the retail rate, making the grid a huge, infinite capacity and cost-free lossless battery - it's great.

I still have resentment over the last time they tried to do something like you suggest, and deregulated electrical power, which supposedly offered individual consumers the choice of buying "Green" power at a higher rate. This left California at the mercy of the spot power market, and we paid up to 62X the average rate for energy as a result of not arranging power purchase agreements in advance. First we recalled the Governor, then borrowed money for the electricity. We just paid off those bonds, and I have no interest in letting foolish politicians mess with something as important as grid power again.

Gosh, KJ, seems you never change. As always, you built a bunch of strawmen outside of the scope of what I said and proceeded to attack them. Must suck not being able to address a simple point without filtering everything through your complex personal values filters. Who the fuck said anything about "Green power" or any of the other things you puked up?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 14 Jun 2018, 12:44:11

GHung wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote: .......

Or perhaps giving people a financial incentive to make changes,, like a carbon tax and dividend program. Those who choose a high consumption lifestyle can pay those who don't. I can't think of a more fair system.

That would be an improvement for sure.

But I think KJ's point is valid that as long as BAU population growth occurs, the overall demand for power/energy will continue to rise. (And by implication, rise faster than the efforts to convert to green energy can handle, thus keeping us dependent on burning lots of fossil fuels).

So overall, if the system is fairer financially, but we continue to cook the planet overall via continued massive increases in population over time, wind and solar aren't saving us.

It's not that they're the "wrong path", it's just that they're not enough to fix the burdens resulting from the BAU growth problem we have which is SO persistent.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 14 Jun 2018, 14:22:02

Correct, OS.

I think an argument can be made that abandonning the Clean Power Plan was a mistake, the actual wrong path to take. Unfortunately, that was unavoidable, considering that Obama enacted the CPP by Executive Order, without the support of Congress. He did so because he was an inept politician. But all this is water under the bridge.

Trump is just as inept, in allowing the utilities to renew the coal power plants for another capital cycle. That would be 40-50 more years of coal combustion in place of natural gas. But Obama also allowed - as does Trump - the export of that coal to China and India. Burning it anywhere has the same climate impact, and the same adverse human health consequences.

I simply wish that Obama had spent his limited political capital on clean energy, versus what he did spend it on - a dubious racial equality agenda, which I remain doubtful has any lasting impacts.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 14 Jun 2018, 15:19:09

Tanada wrote:The data is further evidence that dilute and unreliable sources of energy like solar and wind cannot replace coal and other fossil fuels and will not lead to significant reductions in carbon emissions.
That's not what BP said. BP said the reasons there has not been improvements in the power mix was because growth in renewables was offset by falls in nuclear:

Astonishingly, the share of coal in 2017 was exactly the same as in 1998. The share of non-fossil fuels was actually lower, as growth in renewables has failed to compensate for the decline in nuclear energy.
BP 2018 Statistical Review of World Energy

This is further evidence of nuclear's failure, not renewables. Solar and wind's share of the power mix has grown. Nuclear's has fallen:
Shares of global primary energy consumption by fuel
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 15 Jun 2018, 08:59:29

kublikhan wrote:
Tanada wrote:The data is further evidence that dilute and unreliable sources of energy like solar and wind cannot replace coal and other fossil fuels and will not lead to significant reductions in carbon emissions.
That's not what BP said. BP said the reasons there has not been improvements in the power mix was because growth in renewables was offset by falls in nuclear:

Astonishingly, the share of coal in 2017 was exactly the same as in 1998. The share of non-fossil fuels was actually lower, as growth in renewables has failed to compensate for the decline in nuclear energy.
BP 2018 Statistical Review of World Energy

This is further evidence of nuclear's failure, not renewables. Solar and wind's share of the power mix has grown. Nuclear's has fallen:
Shares of global primary energy consumption by fuel

It isn't a failure of technology, it is a failure of policy. No matter if you are talking renewables like wind/solar/hydro or sustainables like nuclear fission the simple fact of the matter is policy has to support the low to no carbon alternatives , or we have to accept the future will be very much like the distant past, where the planet had no permanent ice at all and tropical rain forests extended to the polar circles. I have always and will continue to point out that renewables alone are not enough, you have to have fission as a majority of the mix to sustain the current demand and continue to meet growth if you are going to eliminate carbon based fuels.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 15 Jun 2018, 10:41:56

Tanada wrote:It isn't a failure of technology, it is a failure of policy. No matter if you are talking renewables like wind/solar/hydro or sustainables like nuclear fission the simple fact of the matter is policy has to support the low to no carbon alternatives , or we have to accept the future will be very much like the distant past, where the planet had no permanent ice at all and tropical rain forests extended to the polar circles. I have always and will continue to point out that renewables alone are not enough, you have to have fission as a majority of the mix to sustain the current demand and continue to meet growth if you are going to eliminate carbon based fuels.

We'd need Fission, or we'd need a really aggressive policy re population growth and BAU consumption growth.

Maybe something like China's one-child policy globally, and hope that robotics can handle caring for the elderly as the population ages would be enough. Or maybe not, but at least an intelligent policy re population would give us a CHANCE. (The idea is we'd need to do something rather drastic if Fission doesn't happen -- and re the kick the can Paris Accords being the best we seem to come up with, we're essentially IGNORING the problem re policy).

As it is, I wouldn't want to bet a fast crash doomer's money (much less mine) on either intelligent population policy for the vast majority of the earth OR fission being practical at a massive scale soon enough. Both seem FAR from things to hang our hats on.

Sadly, the implications of that for the long term results from AGW are very ugly indeed.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 15 Jun 2018, 11:35:13

While looking for an update on E.ON’s short term commercial battery storage pilot project for 2 of its wind farms in west Texas found a very interesting story on another of its pilot projects: storing electricity from your home solar panels in the “cloud”. IOW not need to invest in your own expensive home battery storage system:

“E.ON stirs up the solar and photovoltaic market. E.ON is the first company to offer its customers the option of storing their own solar power without the usual battery. From now on, owners of photovoltaic systems can feed their energy directly into the E.ON SolarCloud without any limit. This virtual electricity account can be accessed not only for the energy demand at home, but also in other places. E.ON will be the first to offer this product innovation on the energy markets in Germany and in the next months in Italy. E.ON has been offering a cloud solution for a year now, but so far it has only been available in conjunction with the E.ON Aura battery storage system. In this case, your own solar power is not loaded into the cloud until the aura storage tank is completely filled. The new system is much simpler and more comfortable. Customers save the purchase and installation costs of a physical storage device and have no maintenance effort. Above all, customers have the opportunity to save up an electricity credit balance for the winter at favourable conditions and to supply themselves 100 percent with solar power from their own photovoltaic system. There are no more efficiency losses.
“With the E.ON SolarCloud, we enable our customers to create their own personal energy world, freely and completely independent.

This is unique. The cloud solution also opens up new possibilities for owners of heat pumps or electric cars. This underscores the importance of electricity in areas such as mobility and heating,” says E.ON Board member Karsten Wildberger. With E.ON SolarCloud, E.ON is aiming for great market potential. In the German market alone, there are more than 1.6 million operators of solar systems today. According to E.ON and based on data from the Sunroof cooperation between E.ON and Google, there are another 10 million roofs in Germany that are suitable for installing photovoltaic systems. E.ON offers the product in various configurations. In the basic variant in connection with a photovoltaic system, monthly costs of €30.99 are incurred for the German market. Customers who still want to operate their system with a battery can still purchase this solution from E.ON. E.ON continues its successful and grown cooperation with the German battery manufacturer SOLARWATT. A storage tank can also be retrofitted at any time.

Detailed information can be found at http://www.eon-solar.de. E.ON will also be presenting its product innovation at the E-world energy trade fair in Essen from
6 to 8 February."
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 15 Jun 2018, 11:49:38

As far as grid stability from renewable energy sources we're a long way from giving up fossil fuels. But E.ON is working on it. This would be a true game changer in Texas with our huge solar potential and booming electricity demand. Especially running all our AC's in the summer when the sun is blazing 14 hours per day:

"E.ON has put two 10-megawatt batteries into operation in Texas. The Texas Waves lithium-ion energy storage units are providing system services for the market. The batteries are able to react quickly to fluctuations in the power grid and thus improve security of supply for customers. E.ON's concept is to stabilise the grid by combining renewable energy production and battery storage. Texas Waves is therefore an integral part of E.ON's Pyron and Inadale wind farms. E.ON has already completed a similar project in Arizona. The Iron Horse project there is coupled with a 2.4 megawatt solar system.
E.ON has developed, built and operated more than 3,600 MW of solar and wind power plants in the United States. E.ON is also one of the leading storage technology companies in the United States. "
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jawagord » Sun 17 Jun 2018, 21:01:52

It's certainly the wrong path when the subsidies end

......Beijing’s new policy to reduce feed-in tariffs and limit subsidies for new solar generation will slash demand in the world’s largest solar market and increase volatility in an industry that has been prone to boom-and-bust cycles.
Global solar installations are now expected to drop, and the sudden contraction will place even more pressure on panel prices and on producers, who in many cases were already struggling. Global energy consultancy Wood Mackenzie expects that 20 gigawatts will be shaved off China’s installations this year as a result of the new policy — equivalent to a fifth of last year’s global demand.
“2018 is likely to be the first-ever year seeing negative annual [worldwide] installation growth,” says Yvonne Liu, solar analyst at Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/china- ... cuts/87416
jawagord
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 18 Jun 2018, 00:43:16

jawagord wrote:It's certainly the wrong path when the subsidies end

......Beijing’s new policy to reduce feed-in tariffs and limit subsidies for new solar generation will slash demand in the world’s largest solar market and increase volatility in an industry that has been prone to boom-and-bust cycles.
Global solar installations are now expected to drop, and the sudden contraction will place even more pressure on panel prices and on producers, who in many cases were already struggling. Global energy consultancy Wood Mackenzie expects that 20 gigawatts will be shaved off China’s installations this year as a result of the new policy — equivalent to a fifth of last year’s global demand.
“2018 is likely to be the first-ever year seeing negative annual [worldwide] installation growth,” says Yvonne Liu, solar analyst at Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/china- ... cuts/87416

That is because the 'solar demand' is pure artifice, it is actually demand for the subsidy money, not the solar itself, driving that growth. Solar remains substantially more expensive that other methods of producing 24/7 constant power needed to keep modern systems fully functional.

You want to install solar to provide peak electricity during peak daily heating in warm climates? Great, that makes a kind of sense. You want to pretend modern technological society can function purely on solar and wind energy? That doesn't work no matter how hard you pretend.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jawagord » Mon 02 Jul 2018, 09:30:23

Apparently, being cost effective, long lasting and reliable are not important attributes for solar and wind power enthusiasts, just give us subsidies so we can keep singing kumbaya.

"UK home solar power faces cloudy outlook as subsidies are axed

Those incentives were slashed dramatically at the start of 2016, largely killing the financial attraction for householders. Installations plummetedand companies folded.

Next April the scheme closes entirely and ministers are yet to signal that it will be replaced.

.....that has led to a bleak outlook for household solar. Growth halved last year, which the government says is “not surprising”, given earlier rapid expansion.
Only 14MW of domestic solar is forecast to be fitted this year, down from a peak of 606MW in 2011, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
“This is heartbreaking for me,” Alan Simpson, an adviser to the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, said.

One of the architects of the feed-in tariffs, Simpson said the importance of household solar was not only the clean energy it brings online but the cultural, political and social impact of engaging people with renewables at a local level.
He blames the government and big fossil fuel-based energy companies for bringing household solar to a halt. “We’ve got a completely inverted sense of how the shift into clean energy systems will take place and the role households can play in the process. We disempower and discourage households from being part of the clean energy transformation,” he said.

While the hot, still weather has been a boon for beachgoers and solar panel owners,figures compiled by Imperial College London show that wind power generation this month is down nearly a quarter on June last year.

Turbines have been frequently left standing still, with several days having almost no wind at all.

The Met Office said the high pressure causing the country’s heatwave was suppressing windy conditions.
About half of the UK’s electricity is usually supplied by gas power stations, followed by nuclear and wind, although windfarms overtook nuclear for the first time during the first quarter of the year.
However, in June so far, wind has averaged only 3.4GW of output, or about 11% of power demand. That is down 24% on June 2017, which averaged 4.6GW or 15% of demand.
The significant drop-off comes despite the fact that the total capacity of windfarms on land and at sea has grown considerably since last June. Installed capacity is up 2.5GW, to 20GW.
Experts said the wind drought highlighted the need for a diverse energy supply."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... technology
jawagord
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology