Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The General Current Prevalent Dominant Idiocy

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

The General Current Prevalent Dominant Idiocy

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 22:52:11

I couldn't think of any other rubric to put this under, though I'm sure others will think of many other examples for their own reasons...well...anyways, here's this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... risk-grows

As Storms Get Stronger, Building Codes Are Getting Weaker

Officials ignore warnings from insurers, federal government
Home builders push state officials to change the rules

The showdown in the Florida statehouse last year had all the drama of a knock-down political brawl: Powerful industries clashing. Warnings of death and destruction. And a surprise last-minute vote, delivering a sweeping reform bill to the governor’s desk.

The battle wasn’t about gun control, immigration or healthcare, but about making it easier to ignore national guidelines on building codes. To the surprise of the insurers, engineers and safety advocates who opposed the change, the home builders won -- in a state that gets hit by more hurricanes than any other.

Three months later, Hurricane Irma smashed into Florida.

A report being released on Monday shows Florida isn’t alone in easing up on building regulations even as the effects of global warming escalate. The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety examined building policies in 18 Atlantic and Gulf Coast states and found that despite the increasing severity of natural disasters, many of those states have relaxed their approach to codes -- or have yet to impose any whatsoever.

"There’s no longer the automatic assumption that codes are good," Julie Rochman, the head of the institute, said in an interview. "We just have an incredible capacity for amnesia and denial in this country."
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: The General Current Prevalent Dominant Idiocy

Unread postby dissident » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 08:22:53

US politicians are exceptional. But not in a good way.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 11:23:14

So, as an example, Hurricane Andrew reducing MANY homes to kindling because of poorly constructed roofs didn't serve as good ammunition for the insurers? Or perhaps the politicians are being paid off better by the homebuilders than the insurers. :roll:

It's not like the insurers won't make the home-owners pay for the risk over time.

If you wanted to sum up the main cause of humanity's overall problems with one concept -- my vote would go to short term thinking. (AKA, a form of idiocy).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 13:03:26

I am now and always have been an advocate of exceeding the minimum standards for both residences and commercial buildings, and even for the infrastructures of civilization. The Romans built roads, aqueducts, bridges, and the like that are still in use two millenia later, it's completely possible to do so. One must get out of the mindset of going with the lowest bidder.

In the context of your own home, you can build a typical suburban residence with a lifetime of 50 years between major remodels or complete replacement, or you can build something more substantial. It is up to you, and it's cheaper to build in rather than retrofit such features.

If we here at Peak Oil are correct about the cost of energy, it will in a decade or two become too expensive to heat a typical American home with fossil fuels. However, if one owns a residence built to the Passivhaus standard or even a Net Zero Energy residence, you will still have a comfortable place to live.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 17:51:31

Outcast_Searcher wrote:.....
If you wanted to sum up the main cause of humanity's overall problems with one concept -- my vote would go to short term thinking. (AKA, a form of idiocy).

I’ve recently come to the same conclusion.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 18:09:38

On an ever so slightly brighter note:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-oil- ... SKBN1GX185
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 23:43:21

Newfie wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:.....

I’ve recently come to the same conclusion.

Nature functions in balance and harmony made up of a collection of individual members of countless species all focused in the moment of their existence. This is the ultimate in short term thinking. Actually just being. No long term planning required. And this results in a balanced complex system. Of which humans were a member up until 8000 years ago or so when some of us started assembling together in civilizations that functioned outside the matrix of natural ecosystems. How many generations is this actually? 8000 divided by say an average of 40 years per generation and you get around 200 generations. Not a very long time to figure out how to self regulate. How to replace the self regulation that nature always provided.

We are toddlers at the game of civilization.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 22 Mar 2018, 03:59:01

Newfie wrote:On an ever so slightly brighter note:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-oil- ... SKBN1GX185

All five companies argued in court papers on Tuesday that they should not be held liable for warming, which is caused by “billions” of parties and “complex environmental phenomena occurring worldwide over many decades.”

This seems indisputable.

Lawsuits for everybody? Now THAT sounds productive. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to North America Discussion