Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

America could become oil king of the world in 2018

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 17:40:55

The United States is poised to ramp up crude oil production by 10% in 2018 to about 11 million barrels per day, according to research firm Rystad Energy. Surging shale oil output should allow the United States to dethrone Russia and Saudi Arabia as the planet's leading crude oil producer, Rystad predicted in a recent report. The U.S. hasn't been the global leader, nor ahead of both Russia and Saudi Arabia, since 1975. "The market has completely changed due to the U.S. shale machine," said Nadia Martin Wiggen, Rystad's vice president of markets. The prediction shows how the fracking revolution has turned America into an energy powerhouse -- a transformation that President Trump has vowed to accelerate by cutting regulation. This long-term shift has allowed the U.S. to be less reliant on foreign oil, including from the turbulent Middle East. U.S. oil production slipped

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: America could become oil king of the world in 2018

Unread postby copious.abundance » Sat 06 Jan 2018, 23:54:20

*crickets*
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 08:33:30

copious.abundance wrote:*crickets*

A lot of what if's and might happens in that story. At present we are still a net importer of oil and oil products by about 2.5 million barrels a day. We might soon be a net exporter of energy swapping natural gas for crude oil and that will be fine as long as it lasts. Being the worlds biggest oil producer is not that big a deal because we are still by far the worlds biggest consumer so use all we produce plus more imported from Canada and elsewhere.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafH ... TNTUS2&f=M
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 13:19:15

This is no different than the Saudi America nonsense some have been pushing for years. Unless and until America is a net oil exporter the very premise is backwards.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 18:17:24

Subjectivist wrote:This is no different than the Saudi America nonsense some have been pushing for years. Unless and until America is a net oil exporter the very premise is backwards.
Yes I quite agree. The fact that net imports is declining is comforting as Americans are still wasting a good share of the oil we burn each day. If push came to shove we could easily get along with just our own production and tell the rest of the worlds oil exporting countries they are on their own and don't look to us to bail you out. And before that austerity or efficiency had to kick in we could and should be very nice to our Canadian neighbor that is shipping us over three million barrels a day. The two of us can pretty much go on doing our own thing and let the chips fall where they may.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 18:34:25

Subjectivist wrote:This is no different than the Saudi America nonsense some have been pushing for years. Unless and until America is a net oil exporter the very premise is backwards.

Net oil would be nice, but is not required.

Net energy though looks to be pretty doable though, in most cases.

EIA TIE Jan 5 2017
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 18:38:36

AdamB wrote:

Net oil would be nice, but is not required.

Net energy though looks to be pretty doable though, in most cases.

EIA TIE Jan 5 2017

I'd have to double check but I think we (the US) is already net energy exports considering all types including natural gas and coal.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Peak Oil Discussion