Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Our fate

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

How do you see things unwinding heading forward ?

We will become extinct
11%
We will experience large die off and drastic descent of civilization
29%
We will experience mild die off and drastic descent of civilization
18%
We will experience large die off and slight descent of civilization
11%
We will experience mild die off and slight descent of civilization
11%
None of the above
21%

Total votes : 28

Re: Our fate

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 10:49:02

Newfie wrote:As always with these threads part of the problem is the definition of the time frame.

That is why I was ambiguous about the time frame and left it an open question. This adds to the diversity of the discussion. Also, Sea actually asked a profound question asking who is the we. It may seem to others as straight forward in that I meant humanity overall. However, us on this site having a bit more knowledge about these subjects than your average person, are aware that collapse will not be uniform either in time or space and so affect certain groups more acutely at different times than others groups.

So, it is a matter of degrees. If you answered that you foresee a drastic descent of civilization then you probably envision this descent as pretty universal. Baha, is also trying to parse time frames ie. within 20 years and post 20 years. Again, it does not involve any wrong answers or right ones. It is a matter of how each of us see all this unfolding chronologically. Personally, having chosen a drastic die off and descent of civilization. I, personally believe that it will probably happen no later than 2050. I believe this because of the cumulative array of problems and challenges that together in my estimation pose an unsolvable amalgam to avoid this fate. In particular, I believe CC will truly have calamitous consequences in the next few decades. Sorry, but that is just my opinion from all the reading and my interpretation.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 11:30:56

.....aware that collapse will not be uniform either in time or space and so affect certain groups more acutely at different times than others groups.

... and those groups that have been more acutely affected aren't going to just sit around twiddling their thumbs and watch their part of civilization collapse. Indeed, the so-called Arab Spring, ISIL, Taliban, etc., are likely precursors to what can be expected as more fortunate groups circle their civilizational wagons to try and maintain order and their lifestyles. This tells me this process is already underway as we see wealthier nations moving towards more nationalist policies. Brexit, Trumpism, populist/nationalist groups in the EU, anti-immigration movements....

Haves and have-nots, as we run out of planet to exploit, will be at each other, armed with the most devastating weapons ever known; environment, climate, and progress be damned. Globalism ===> Regionalism ===> Isolationism ===> Civil wars ===> Tribalism ===> ????
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 12:52:36

So many of these threads are navel gazing. The very fact that we discuss over and over again when we think corrections come and how severe they will be is just an indication of how fat and secure we are at the moment. And I would dare say also how bored we are because if our days would be filled with hard work and toil in order to survive a thread like this would never be created and never discussed.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 12:53:18

Totally accurate Ghung. In a world of greater and greater disequilibrium of resources vis-à-vis population you can only logically expect to see clashes for limited resources. The hope if any exists is that despite history not shedding a favorable light upon our behavior throughout the ages in these circumstances, we will have evolved enough to recognize that suffrage and cooperation ultimately must exist between each other as this will ultimately be most beneficial to everyone involved.

I too am not necessarily optimistic but neither am I hopelessly pessimistic. To me it is an open question as to how all this ultimately unravels. As Ibon stated from an informed perspective, as primates we can manifest aggression and selfishness but also empathy and cooperation.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 13:06:17

Ibon wrote:So many of these threads are navel gazing. The very fact that we discuss over and over again when we think corrections come and how severe they will be is just an indication of how fat and secure we are at the moment. And I would dare say also how bored we are because if our days would be filled with hard work and toil in order to survive a thread like this would never be created and never discussed.

My last comment was a case of history-gazing, not "navel gazing". In general, this is how societies have reacted in the past, and our exponentially higher ability to destroy each other and our environment is a factor that cannot be ignored.

As for "...our days would be filled with hard work and toil in order to survive...", I'm off through the snow to check the spring where our water comes from to see if things have frozen up down there, and then will get more firewood in to heat our humble shelter. After that, I'm going to survey the damage our greenhouse suffered from heavy snowfall and see if I can salvage the cabbage and peas that were growing there. After that, I should still have a little time for some navel-gazing.

Not sure what the rest of you are doing......
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 21:23:26

GHung wrote:[ I'm off through the snow to check the spring where our water comes from to see if things have frozen up down there, and then will get more firewood in to heat our humble shelter. After that, I'm going to survey the damage our greenhouse suffered from heavy snowfall and see if I can salvage the cabbage and peas that were growing there. After that, I should still have a little time for some navel-gazing.

Not sure what the rest of you are doing......

That's funny Ghung. This evening our water ran out at our lodge here where we have 8 guests at the moment. Checked the line from the lodge to the cistern. OK. The 6000 liter cistern though was empty. Got a flashlight and hiked half a kilometer through the forest at night to get up to the source at the base of Mount Totumas. The intake, a five gallon bucket laying on its side with a 1 inch pipe was clogged. First time that happened in 5 years.

This is kind of what I meant actually, so busy here now that the high season has begun, harnessed morning to night, our fate as humanity seems less pressing and even less interesting when fully engaged.

I return to the claim that boredom is what makes us drone on and on about these topics.

Too much idle time.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 23:59:38

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 06:00:41

Dohboi, When the 7.5 billion Kudzu Apes fall will heaven have a place for them all?

The die-off will cause the carrying capacity of heaven to be exceeded. :)
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 09:44:41

Ibon wrote:Dohboi, When the 7.5 billion Kudzu Apes fall will heaven have a place for them all?

... but the Well of Souls, now empty, will be replenished 8O
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 09:50:59

GHung wrote:
Ibon wrote:Dohboi, When the 7.5 billion Kudzu Apes fall will heaven have a place for them all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_of_Souls
And related to this, is the Guf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guf
Just a little detour for those who might be curious. I include it because I remember watching a movie with Demi Moore, "The Seventh Sign", that is related to all this.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby roccman » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 13:18:10

onlooker wrote:
GHung wrote:

Just a little detour for those who might be curious. I include it because I remember watching a movie with Demi Moore, "The Seventh Sign", that is related to all this.

well, "gathering" all the sparks for the messiah? how do you suppose this happens? I have a pretty good idea.

this goes back to my previous post.

There is a real reason why Leibniz was crucified by Voltaire and Newton.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 15 Dec 2017, 18:26:20

roccman wrote:
onlooker wrote:
GHung wrote:

well, "gathering" all the sparks for the messiah? how do you suppose this happens? I have a pretty good idea.

this goes back to my previous post.

There is a real reason why Leibniz was crucified by Voltaire and Newton.

Been a long time Roc. How did hiding out in the woods and desert do, after you fled the world because of doom back in 2008? Did you only spend 9 years in the wilderness (compared to say, Moses' 40) before you realized that not only didn't the world end, but the grid in Arizona is still up and running and a-okay? Do you miss the bad old days?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby roccman » Sun 17 Dec 2017, 13:31:28

AdamB wrote:
Been a long time Roc. How did hiding out in the woods and desert do, after you fled the world because of doom back in 2008? Did you only spend 9 years in the wilderness (compared to say, Moses' 40) before you realized that not only didn't the world end, but the grid in Arizona is still up and running and a-okay? Do you miss the bad old days?

Hey Adam, that was in my grasshopper days!! Grid failure, bombs, resource depletion and material boogeyman are not really my focus now and haven't been for the last 5 years. Bigger fish to catch I suppose. There is something underfoot that is a bit more nefarious than simple climate change or over populating the planet. It centers around hive behavior, beliefs and the "gathering" of sparks. If I didn't think I was chucking pearls at swine, I would spend this time diving into it with you. Previous recent posts get at what I am studying now. Curious, for you to actually spend time clobbering out a 2nd grade post, "nanny nanny doo doo stick your head in poo poo" for me! Lol, thanks! Have a groovy day adamantite (material used to chain something to something else, in "myth"-spoiler alert, the chain broke). ;)
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance