Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Tesla Thread (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Tesla Truck Could Threaten Big Chunk of Oil Demand

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 01 Dec 2017, 19:24:34

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:If you so desire you can rent storage units in scattered locations and store a lifetime food supply in just a few years of frugal livng

And you need law enforcement to keep them from being ransacked, or the person renting them from stealing it or locking you out.

As if government wouldn't demand taxes on that be paid and regulations be followed.

And that means you need the financial system and all that entails.

And for many places, you HAVE to be on the grid, even if you have enough solar to be independent. And pay property taxes. And on and on.

And I don't want to pull my own teeth for lack of dental care, die quickly from lack of needed prescription meds, or do without the procedures I'm certain I'll need in the next 20 years, if I live that long, whether the problems would be fatal or "merely" make life constantly miserable. (And probably fatal in time without proper medical care if left untreated).

Pretending like anyone who doesn't want to live like a hermit in some super-remote area can get by today TOTALLY without "the system", without being a constant criminal is kind of silly. Look at many peoples' "hero", the stranger in the woods -- they guy who apparently made the closest documented attempt over decades. He lived by stealing -- cleverly and not stealing "major stuff", but chronically stealing -- for a living.

You missed what I am pitching here. The message isn’t that you can be a lone wolf, or live without the rest of society. What I am saying is if you choose to live a frugal life a few years in a humdrum boring dead end job will still let you plan for your basic future needs. People lose their minds trying to get whatever they think their neighbors have, as if that is how to be happy. If you don’t smoke and only drink socially and don’t have a TV with 1001 chanels you can still live a happy fulfilling life. If you actually sit down and budget yourself even a low paying job will get you the basic necessities and your local library gives you internet access and free use of more books than you could read in a lifetime. If sports are more your thing mst areas have softball leagues, o bowling, or golf. People did jst fine with those lifestyle choices before Bill Gates or Steve Jobs were even born and they can choose to do the same now.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Fri 01 Dec 2017, 19:56:45

Yeah, Sub. I'm not even sure why you bit at the typical binary strawman like this:

Pretending like anyone who doesn't want to live like a hermit in some super-remote area can get by today TOTALLY without "the system", without being a constant criminal is kind of silly.

Not like there is a broad range of lower-consumption lifestyles between being a full blown consumer and being a hermit. Many of us have drastically reduced our consumption and participation in the global ponzi complexity-fest. We are doing just fine.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 02 Dec 2017, 23:13:15

Subjectivist wrote: People did jst fine with those lifestyle choices before Bill Gates or Steve Jobs were even born and they can choose to do the same now.

In fact, they had the necessary ingredient of occasional boredom to stimulate creativity....... something the constantly switched on nervous systems of our 24/7 digitally addicted population has completely forgotten or never have experienced.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 20:29:06

Gas wind and solar are starting to reign in greenhouse gas emissions

Cars pass power plants as top source of US carbon emissions
For the first time in 40 years, power plants are no longer the biggest source of US greenhouse gas pollution.
That dubious distinction now belongs to the transport sector: cars, trucks, planes, trains and boats.
Investments in electric cars may soon begin to do to the transportation sector what wind and solar have done to the power sector: turn the pollution curve upside down.
When the electrification of the US auto fleet begins in earnest, pollution from the two biggest energy sectors — electricity and transportation — may ultimately converge. Those electric cars are going draw their power from the grid.
http://www.afr.com/business/transport/a ... 204-gzypru
(its pay walled but if you get a bypass paywalls addon from Firefox it opens up)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/?src=api
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 20:56:43

'if the electrification of the US auto fleet begins in earnest . . . '
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 21:09:39

GHung wrote:Yeah, Sub. I'm not even sure why you bit at the typical binary strawman like this:

Pretending like anyone who doesn't want to live like a hermit in some super-remote area can get by today TOTALLY without "the system", without being a constant criminal is kind of silly.

Not like there is a broad range of lower-consumption lifestyles between being a full blown consumer and being a hermit. Many of us have drastically reduced our consumption and participation in the global ponzi complexity-fest. We are doing just fine.

Right, Ghung. You'll just keep downsizing until living in a closet is too expensive or the taxes wipe you out.

If you don't have at least 10 million bucks in the next 3 years, you may as well jump out of a high rise building and do a low tech splat on the pavement.
2025 is the Year of The Oil Apocalypse when >15% decline rates hit ALL legacy giant old fields. It will be a Steel Bolt to the Head of Humanity.
StarvingLion
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Tesla lines up buyers for electric semi-truck

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 14 Dec 2017, 22:22:50

PepsiCo is the latest company to go public with preliminary plans to buy electric semi-trucks from Tesla, which recently unveiled a rig with plans to begin production in 2019. Why it matters: While these are not final transactions, the announcements by major companies represent something of a corporate vote of confidence in Tesla despite its recent stumbles scaling up production of its mass-market Model 3 sedan. Keep reading 182 words Reuters reports that the food and beverage giant has reserved 100 of the trucks, the largest reported corporate purchase plan thus far. Walmart has reserved 15 trucks and the trucking company J. B. Hunt Transport Services has also placed orders, among other buyers. Overall reservations to date are at 276, according to Reuters calculations. PepsiCo confirmed the order to Axios. “These trucks will be deployed across our

Tesla lines up buyers for electric semi-truck
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Elon Musk Enterprises

Unread postby GHung » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 10:44:30

FYI:
SpaceX Falcon Heavy 1st test launch at 1:30 PM EST today.

Stream live here: http://www.spacex.com/webcast (scroll down)

... with a Tesla on top....

Falcon Heavy Test Flight

The first test flight of Falcon Heavy is targeted for Tuesday, Feb. 6th at 1:30 PM ET from Launch Complex 39A at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. When Falcon Heavy lifts off, it will be the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two.

With the ability to lift into orbit nearly 64 metric tons (141,000 lb)---a mass greater than a 737 jetliner loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel--Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy, at one-third the cost.

Falcon Heavy draws upon the proven heritage and reliability of Falcon 9. Its first stage is composed of three Falcon 9 nine-engine cores whose 27 Merlin engines together generate more than 5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, equal to approximately eighteen 747 aircraft. Only the Saturn V moon rocket, last flown in 1973, delivered more payload to orbit. Falcon Heavy was designed from the outset to carry humans into space and restores the possibility of flying missions with crew to the Moon or Mars.

"The Falcon Heavy has three (Falcon 9) first-stage rocket boosters at its base. And SpaceX will attempt to land all of them back on Earth after launch."

That will be trick if the launch is successful and all three 1st stage boosters return successfully.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 14:59:47

Tesla quarterly earnings are due out tomorrow after market close. I predict a bloodbath Thursday.

SpaceX launch of Falcon Heavy delayed until 3:45 pm Eastern due to high winds aloft.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 15:39:40

Falcon Heavy due to launch in about 5 minutes.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 16:05:57

Successful launch and two boosters landed safely at Cape. Unknown about booster landing at barge. It was an awesome launch.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sys1 » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 16:09:45

Back in 1969, we sent 3 men on the Moon.
Almost 50 years after, we send an empty car in a random direction.
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby GHung » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 16:13:13

Cog wrote:Successful launch and two boosters landed safely at Cape. Unknown about booster landing at barge. It was an awesome launch.

The shot of the Spaceman driving off to Mars in his Tesla Roadster was the cherry on this cake. Touchscreen says DON'T PANIC.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 16:45:50

Sys1 wrote:Back in 1969, we sent 3 men on the Moon.
Almost 50 years after, we send an empty car in a random direction.

It won't be NASA that takes us back to the moon and beyond, it will be private enterprise. NASA would never have tried what Elon Musk is doing.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 16:58:09

Pardon me, but WHY would we want to go to the Moon, or even to Mars for that matter? Both are places where we have never found any minerals worth exploiting, and where people cannot live without importing materials from Earth at tremendous expense.

I'm a fan of space tech, but planets and moons are undesirable places to live, because they sit at the bottom of energy-intensive gravity wells. There are effectively unlimited minerals and water available in the asteroids and in the atmospheres of the gas giant planets. We should be colonizing places where we can live at low expense and without much energy expendatures. Those would be space habitats located in the asteroid belt and LaGrange points of the Earth/Moon.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 17:09:45

Cog wrote:Tesla quarterly earnings are due out tomorrow after market close. I predict a bloodbath Thursday.

SpaceX launch of Falcon Heavy delayed until 3:45 pm Eastern due to high winds aloft.

I don't know, so I'm not arguing. Just curious.

We do know how many (few, in the case of the Model 3) were produced in 4Q17, since Tesla has already announced that.

We do know that Tesla appears to be actually doing something re the solar roof sales from HD.

We do know they have started selling auto lease backed bonds (i.e. asset backed bonds), and that at this juncture, investors (Tesla fanbois?) seem to LOVE them. That would seem to say that the Tesla running out of cash real soon now armageddon scenario seems to be delayed, at least for awhile.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... get-enough

Tesla Inc. sold $546 million of auto lease-backed bonds Thursday, giving Elon Musk a more conventional source of funds after he sold out of a batch of 20,000 flamethrowers to help pay for his proposed transportation tunnels.

The sought-after debt deal allowed Tesla to slash the risk premiums it would pay on the notes. They were sold to yield between 2.3 percent and 5 percent. At initial offered prices, investors had put in orders for as much as 14 times what the electric-car maker intended to sell on some slices of an asset-backed security, according to people familiar with the matter.

We don't really know the status of the Model 3. It's mostly speculation and "we're sorting it out" type statements from Tesla.

So unless I'm missing something, the only major variable is Model 3 production and any statements Musk MAY make re the Model 3 battery production (which seems to be the main problem, re Model 3 production problems).

The strong Tesla bears and the fanbois aren't gone and aren't going away any time soon.

So unless I'm missing something, while the market may move 5% or even as much as 10% in reaction to production surprises either way -- since we know the big picture reasonably well, I can't imagine what causes a "bloodbath" at Tesla's earnings announcement.

No big deal to me, either way. I stay well hedged. Just curious if you think you know something specific, or it's your ongoing lack of faith in Musk and his promises (which he has earned in spades, IMO, FWIW).

If I were going to call a "bloodbath" (I'm not) it might be in Invidia after they announce Thursday. The pundits are saying the news is great and the stock will be strong in reaction. If bad news comes out (say bad news on the crypto-mining front, re the recent bloodbath in crypto currencies (speaking of bloodbaths)), then NVDA could take a nasty swoon. Or if Tesla announces something about a big formal partnership with someone else instead of NVDA as part of its earnings announcement, NVDA holders might not like that either.
Last edited by Outcast_Searcher on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 17:46:54, edited 1 time in total.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 17:42:46

GHung wrote:Touchscreen says DON'T PANIC.

Should be the motto for peakoil.com.

[space to store bad short-term prediction currently vacant]
asg70
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GHung » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 18:49:03

asg70 wrote:
GHung wrote:Touchscreen says DON'T PANIC.

Should be the motto for peakoil.com......

Why? Who here is panicking?
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Tesla Batteries to power Silicon Valley

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 28 Jul 2018, 03:09:15

No, not yet a done deal, but PG&E will hopefully get the go ahead. The Metcalf Energy Center mentioned in the article is a natural gas turbine peaking power plant located 2 miles from my home.

Energy Storage Projects to Replace Three Natural Gas Power Plants in California
Tesla batteries and behind-the-meter Li-ion batteries could deliver electricity to meet peak Silicon Valley demand
By David C Wagman | 17 Jul 2018
Energy storage could get a big boost if California officials green-light plans by utility Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to move forward with some 567 megawatts of capacity.

Included in the mix is more than 180 MW of lithium-ion battery storage from Elon Musk’s company Tesla. The Tesla-supplied battery array would be owned by PG&E and would offer a 4-hour discharge duration. The other projects would be owned by third parties and operated on behalf of the utility under long-term contracts. All of the projects would be in and around Silicon Valley in the South Bay area.

Remainder of article at: https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/renewables/energy-storage-projects-to-replace-three-natural-gas-power-plants-in-california
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Tesla Batteries to power Silicon Valley

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 28 Jul 2018, 17:48:26

I hope this deal gets done quickly. Tesla needs cash just now to help them survive, and a big sale of batteries to PG&E would help.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology