Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Climate Chaos Is Here Pt. 4

Re: Climate Chaos Is Here Pt. 4

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 14 Nov 2017, 18:45:13

Newfie wrote:
dohboi wrote:Why would I want to survive the bottle neck?

Sometimes I feel sorry for you.

My heartfelt condolences. :cry:

The reason to survive the bottleneck is to be one of the last breeding pairs of humans.

After the bottleneck we few survivors will have a duty to breed night and day to try to repopulate the earth and ensure the survival of the human race. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to undertake the job of breeding to make sure our species doesn't go extinct.

If necessary I'll make long dangerous journeys from my doomstead on the shore of the Arctic Ocean back to the ruins of civilization to find one or more women willing to breed for the good of humanity. I'm planning to do whatever it takes to help our species survive after the bottleneck.

Its for the survival of of our species
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Nov 2017, 21:08:44

Always helpful eh Plant? Strange talk for a bachelor.

I would think the simple joy of life would be enough to keep one going. For your family and loved ones but for your own self if that’s all there is.

There may come a day when I’ve had enough and bow out. That will be a sad day and I will weep. Until then life itself is sufficient joy to continue.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby baha » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 05:20:00

Has anyone ever tried to just lay down and die? It ain't easy. Unless you're willing to put yourself down you will continue to fight until your last breath. If you are killed by events then you don't have to choose. You don't get to choose...

My Dad used to say he would rather not survive the crash. Lots of people say that...but you won't get the choice. And if you do survive human nature says you will do whatever it takes to continue surviving.

The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen. We need opioids to dull the pain of our boring existence. There are too many people and not enough meaningful things to do...

Real life begins after the crash...and I will do my part to procreate :)
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.
I will see your google and raise you an infinity!

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Solar Advocate
Solar Advocate

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 08:12:43

baha wrote:The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen.

In all fairness if there is an actual real crash easy birth control will disappear right along with it and the practice of procreation will resume in all the 'advanced' countries where Children are currently considered an inconvenience very quickly. People have always enjoyed sex and procreation comes as a consequence unless there is intervention. Take away safe sterilization and latex condoms and birth control pills/shots/devices and there will be more procreating going on than you can shake a stick at in cities all over the "First World" that would have never happened with easy birth control being available.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 10:42:59

baha wrote:Has anyone ever tried to just lay down and die? It ain't easy. Unless you're willing to put yourself down you will continue to fight until your last breath. If you are killed by events then you don't have to choose. You don't get to choose...

My Dad used to say he would rather not survive the crash. Lots of people say that...but you won't get the choice. And if you do survive human nature says you will do whatever it takes to continue surviving.

The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen. We need opioids to dull the pain of our boring existence. There are too many people and not enough meaningful things to do...

I like climate controlled environments and flush toilets. Nothing is stopping you from moving to India and living in a slum except youself. Go forth and do so and give me a range report on how its so much better.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 10:43:41

Tanada wrote:
baha wrote:The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen.

In all fairness if there is an actual real crash easy birth control will disappear right along with it and the practice of procreation will resume in all the 'advanced' countries where Children are currently considered an inconvenience very quickly. People have always enjoyed sex and procreation comes as a consequence unless there is intervention. Take away safe sterilization and latex condoms and birth control pills/shots/devices and there will be more procreating going on than you can shake a stick at in cities all over the "First World" that would have never happened with easy birth control being available.

This, of course, was a prediction made by Limits to Growth. Dotted lines were projected, solid lines are actual:

Looks like we're ahead of schedule so far. How it plays out is another matter, but I consider it a pretty good guess that if the death rate has fallen faster than expected, and population is rising faster, then other projections will likely occur sooner. Depends very much on rates of resource extraction and overall social stability. The latter seems to be an accelerating problem,, but maybe it's just me.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby baha » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 15:17:28

Tanada, I was thinking about that today. If Plantagenet and I go around spreading our seed we are relegating all females to being pregnant :) So many things have changed in 100 years. Everything is planned and controlled. Where does natural selection come in? Babies with genetic deformities used to be left to die...the Matrix is making us soft and genetically weak.

Cog, nothing can stop me :) I already moved to where I want to be. Yes, I like my comforts but I try hard to go outside as much as possible and limit my time on-line. I enjoy our conversations but I would enjoy them more face to face. I can read so many things from a person's eyes and face that I see this media as somewhat hollow. I am afraid people will get so deep into the matrix they will forget how to have personal interactions. There are some people who get so lost they just go shoot people, just like in their video game...

Ghung, that is one of the reason's I don't trust 20 year projections. TPTB are projecting infinite growth. I think 10 years will be long enough to destroy that myth.
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.
I will see your google and raise you an infinity!

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Solar Advocate
Solar Advocate

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 19:57:01

Some people are still grasping, it seems.

Detachment is the way to go! :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 13:55:48

Cog wrote:
baha wrote:Has anyone ever tried to just lay down and die? It ain't easy. Unless you're willing to put yourself down you will continue to fight until your last breath. If you are killed by events then you don't have to choose. You don't get to choose...

I like climate controlled environments and flush toilets. Nothing is stopping you from moving to India and living in a slum except youself. Go forth and do so and give me a range report on how its so much better.

Yes, we don't get much choice. We subdue mother nature and all we are left with are our video devices to watch someone else enjoy mother nature.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 21:21:29

Climate Chaos may already be here, but much more and much worse is soon to follow, even here in these sweet United States...

Larger, More Intense U.S. Storm Complexes on the Way

The mammoth clusters of thunderstorms known as mesoscale convective systems (MCSs) could dump up to 80% more water across North America by late this century, according to a study published Monday in Nature Climate Change. The study, “Increased rainfall volume from future convective storms in the U.S.,” found that increased atmospheric moisture in a warming climate will help lead to a 15 – 40% increase in peak MCS rainfall rates, along with a 20 – 70% jump in the rainfall area.

Together, these lead to a 30 – 80% boost in the total hourly volume of rain deposited by a typical MCS.

[so basically an increase by nearly half to an increase by nearly double]

“The combination of more intense rainfall and the spreading of heavy rainfall over larger areas means that we will face a higher flood risk than previously predicted,” said the study team, led by Andreas Prein (National Center for Atmospheric Research).

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/new-s ... plexes-way
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 21:28:30

GHung wrote:Image

That's from 2014. Anything more recent available? It looks to me like the deathrate is starting to turn upwards now. That is the one to watch, as it's the true marker of doom-like conditions.
[space to store bad short-term prediction currently vacant]
asg70
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 21:38:29

I poked around Google a bit and could find nothing better. Nothing indicating an inflection point, still living longer.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 21:58:50

asg...what newf said.

There was a very slight nudge upward in the global death rate from '08 to '09 which got some people (me) a bit excited, but since then it leveled off again and then has slightly declined:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... /2066.html

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=xx&v=26

If you don't want to click through to these, the most recent figure is 7.8 deaths per thousand in 2016, down from 7.89 in '14, down (slightly) from 7.9 in '13, down from 7.99 in '12...

The curve does seem to be flattening, but there no rising trend yet.

Of course, other data sources may vary a bit, and these are obviously all rough approximations, so some of these slight shifts are likely not statistically significant. But still, no clear evidence of an upward surge/trend in global death rate at this point, more's the pity ( :-D :-D ). But just for demographic reasons, it should kick in any year now, with more and more boomers starting to go on their 'next great adventure.' Add in other compounding problems and...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

freaky snow

Unread postby Whitefang » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 09:06:00

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/n ... -the-alps/

Even the summers are getting mixed with winterstorms, in Europe/Asia and North America.
The UK may be suffering unpredictable weather at the moment, with yesterday showcasing four seasons in less than hour, but we're not alone in dealing with unexpected weather fronts.
Staff from Val Thorens in France, the highest ski resort in Europe - but in June usually a hotbed of hiking and alpine trails - posted a video on its Facebook page yesterday showing heavy snowfall in the resort’s centre.

The surprise flurry in Val Thorens comes as some North American resorts remain open following one of the best winter seasons ever in the region. Mammoth Mountain, which was named the snowiest place in the world back in January 2017, announced this week that it will stay open until at least the end of August, with lifts operating until 1pm everyday – welcome news for local skiers and snowboarders who have been enjoying the record-breaking amounts of snow since last November.

Even though the snow in Val Thorens didn't stick around for long, there's still chance to ski or snowboard in Europe throughout the summer on a number of high-altitude snow-sure glaciers.
A bizarre turn of events for Mother Nature or evidence of the impact of climate change in ski resorts – either way, it seems, for some winter is not yet over.

Meanwhile I read a fresh snowreport of possible new years 3 meters of snow on the NW side of the Alps, that is madness!!!
I work along the Belgium freeway E40, south is the bonjour French speaking, North is goedemorgen Vlaams, bread for supermarkets......already had two freak snowevents this early in the season, Lucky for me I have chains, wintertires and a heater while resting, sleeping after a night speeding bread all over.

Things are getting very interesting, plannned a winter survival trip to Sweden, no lighter/tent or sleeping bag....bbbbrrrrrr, BOB is ready!
Bought a BOV, former owner made it into an expedition vehicle, solar panels, extra watertank, battery, you name it at an excellent price of 3000 euro.

https://www.camptoo.nl/camper/4187/Ivec ... -Buccaneer

Easy does it.

Iveco turbodaily met hobby caravan, dubbellucht met achteruitrijcamera, zonnepaneel en elektrische opstap.
Portapottie en water in wc, luifel voor buiten.
Ringverwarming, koelkast met kleine dievries.
Eenvoudig en functioneel
Whitefang
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 09:32:49

I hope you survive your survival trip, wf!!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:41:46

Go to the breaker box, turn off power, go outside and live there. You are free young man, go explore. Enjoy, but for the love of God quit bitching about how good you have it. You must be a millennial.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:21:25

baha wrote:The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen. We need opioids to dull the pain of our boring existence. There are too many people and not enough meaningful things to do...

That's a matter of perspective. It depends on your situation, and your attitude depends on your past experiences.

For example, for many first world kids now, it's normal to rarely go out and play. It's normal to have mandatory walking in PE class in grade schools in the rural US, because so many kids are so obese and won't even walk more than they have to unless you force them. (I am not making this up. My girlfriends' school was doing that 15 years ago, and I can't imagine it getting any better on average).

And yet, if you ask these kids if they're happy, if they can log on and play World of Warcraft (or similar) with their South Korean or Japanese friends, they're good to go in many cases. To them, that's living.

Things change very fast now. Change brings new problems and new opportunities. While I hear what you're saying and recognize the problems (especially health) of living stuck in the information stream, that's as normal a mode of living as doing farm work after school was to kids 100 years ago, and rural kids much less than that.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby GHung » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 12:29:39

".....that's as normal a mode of living as doing farm work after school was to kids 100 years ago, and rural kids much less than that."

It's not normal around here. Around my place, the kids have their chores to do, or those other things aren't available to them. While it may be normal for some, those farm kids were being taught to actually produce something. Kids nowadays are being taught to be good little consumers.

Being a rural homestead, I control the internet (no good 3g/4g signals). Lots of power there :)
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 15:06:24

There was no point in teaching my girls how to do farm work. All the profitable farming is being done by big machines operated by Mexicans. Two of the three like to garden and all would get along if growing your own became essential but their current jobs bring in a lot more cash and provide for them and theirs well.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 09:09:08

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
baha wrote:The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen. We need opioids to dull the pain of our boring existence. There are too many people and not enough meaningful things to do...

That's a matter of perspective. It depends on your situation, and your attitude depends on your past experiences.

For example, for many first world kids now, it's normal to rarely go out and play. It's normal to have mandatory walking in PE class in grade schools in the rural US, because so many kids are so obese and won't even walk more than they have to unless you force them. (I am not making this up. My girlfriends' school was doing that 15 years ago, and I can't imagine it getting any better on average).

And yet, if you ask these kids if they're happy, if they can log on and play World of Warcraft (or similar) with their South Korean or Japanese friends, they're good to go in many cases. To them, that's living.

Things change very fast now. Change brings new problems and new opportunities. While I hear what you're saying and recognize the problems (especially health) of living stuck in the information stream, that's as normal a mode of living as doing farm work after school was to kids 100 years ago, and rural kids much less than that.

I grew up on a small farm and had chores before school in the morning and after school before homework because the critters didn't give a hoot they needed their feed and water taken care of at a minimum. Summer time meant spending at least 6 hours a day working on fencing maintenance and all the regular chores that were year around as well. After we got rid of the livestock things got a whole lot easier, but I was about in High School then. The real reason they were sold off is my dad got a job working in a factory and was working 12 hour shifts and just didn't have the energy to manage livestock when he wasn't at work or asleep. Switching from mostly farm fresh food to all store bought was a shock to the system.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate