Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby kiwichick » Sat 03 Dec 2016, 17:16:34

those of us living in rich countries should encourage our young people to limit the number of children they have, preferably to 2 or less


stabilizing the population won't fix the problems by itself , but we can't solve the problems if we keep adding 200,000 more human beings to the planet every day

and we need to do all we can to incentivize young people everywhere to delay having their first child.....the longer women delay having their first child the fewer children in total they have
User avatar
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sat 02 Aug 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Southland New Zealand

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 03 Dec 2016, 17:25:49

kiwichick wrote:those of us living in rich countries should encourage our young people to limit the number of children they have, preferably to 2 or less


stabilizing the population won't fix the problems by itself , but we can't solve the problems if we keep adding 200,000 more human beings to the planet every day

and we need to do all we can to incentivize young people everywhere to delay having their first child.....the longer women delay having their first child the fewer children in total they have

Having three daughters over thirty with no grandchildren I think I've done my part on that.
To really cut the carbon foot print of the top ten percent we would need to scrap all the automobiles and commercial aircraft.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 03 Dec 2016, 19:58:44

kiwichick wrote:those of us living in rich countries should encourage our young people to limit the number of children they have, preferably to 2 or less


stabilizing the population won't fix the problems by itself , but we can't solve the problems if we keep adding 200,000 more human beings to the planet every day

and we need to do all we can to incentivize young people everywhere to delay having their first child.....the longer women delay having their first child the fewer children in total they have

Yes. We can also set a good example for young people by living a low carbon lifestyle, and pointing out that it's possible to do the right thing on occasion. (You can do this without being preachy, being low key and only doing it when the subject / right opportunity comes up. Not having kids of my own, it's how I choose to handle various "teaching moments". YMMV, of course).

On Turkey day my eldest neice (with a child due in May) was talking about needing a car. I pointed out that this might work out well. That if she didn't mind driving a Corolla, I could give she and her husband my good as new Corolla, and that it had good safety test results, would take a child seat, was cheap to run and maintain, etc.

"But what about you?" she asked.

"Well, I replied, "I'd like to get a Prius Prime and lower my gasoline burning from 4000ish miles to 200ish miles a year. There's no point in having two cars in my driveway".

"But why would you want to do that?", she asked. "I'd have thought you'd keep that car for another decade."

"True enough, generally.", I replied. "However, now with how serious AGW is", the practical technology is here at a resonable price. I want to do this to set an example (I don't expect to see a lot of these cars in KY, at least not in the short term), and it is the right thing to do. I can afford it. If people like me don't buy this sort of car to further lower their carbon footprint, who will?"

I have no idea whether such actions/examples will collectively do any good over time. All we can do is try. It's the principle of the thing. IMO, it's the right thing to do.

And my 3 driving age neices/nephews drive a LOT, like their parents, so it seemed worth the shot to mention the message.

I probably won't know if my offer or the message is accepted for a few months or so. (Pushing, IMO, is the LAST thing to do).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 5712
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 03 Dec 2016, 21:25:41

The dream I have is to keep my 2003 Jeep Wrangler, as a spare vehicle and a snowplow and a vacation vehicle. The engine would be converted to burn E85 fuel, based on the theory that such fuel would be available longer in the MidWestern corn belt than the E10 gasoline sold now. I would be surprised if I drove it 200 miles per year, unless going camping or towing. The wife's 2001 Cherokee would be sold here in California, and replaced with another E85-capable medium SUV - or better yet, a plug-in hybrid medium sized SUV. Maybe even a Chevy Bolt or a Tesla 3.

As for the offspring, I had one, and she planned to have one, and instead we got twin grandkids - a blessing, and they are now approaching 18 months old, and I'll be getting re-acquainted with them in a week.

I don't think that we are any of us very different in our heartfelt goals, although we do squabble a bit here at PO.com. But in the end, we all seem to have very similar middle-class values, in a world where the Middle Class is rapidly disappearing.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 5403
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Dec 2016, 22:57:52

KJ wrote: "... many more people than you think ..."

KJ, kindly cease and desist from ever presuming you know anything about what I think. Here (and generally) you are 100% wrong in your assumptions of my presumed ignorance.

Thank you.

But on this: "...the wealthiest 10% could reduce their carbon emissions.."

We can certainly agree. But in fact, on average, most have not and probably will not.
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 17652
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Dec 2016, 23:03:38

vt wrote: "Having three daughters over thirty with no grandchildren I think I've done my part ..."

It sounds to me as though your awesome daughters are the ones who have 'done their part' and you're trying to take credit for their restraint, restrain which you could not seem to muster yourself.

Just a point.

Be proud of your kids...don't try to steal their luster or take overmuch credit for their virtues.

(Just my unsolicited, free advice, which is probably worth as much as the charge! :-D :) :lol: :P :oops: )
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 17652
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 09:14:16

dohboi wrote:vt wrote: "Having three daughters over thirty with no grandchildren I think I've done my part ..."

It sounds to me as though your awesome daughters are the ones who have 'done their part' and you're trying to take credit for their restraint, restrain which you could not seem to muster yourself.

Just a point.

Be proud of your kids...don't try to steal their luster or take overmuch credit for their virtues.

(Just my unsolicited, free advice, which is probably worth as much as the charge! :-D :) :lol: :P :oops: )

Sending them off to college is my only positive action on population control but it is working more then I ever imagined.
Their considerable accomplishments are certainly due to their efforts and not mine though the Missis deserves a few college credits for editing dozens of college papers with a Catholic school"s attention to spelling and grammar. :)
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 10:46:18

HA, I've just been doing some editing of my own daughter's college papers.

We all do what we can.

Congratulations again on what sounds like an excellent family!
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 17652
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 11:50:45

dohboi wrote:HA, I've just been doing some editing of my own daughter's college papers.

We all do what we can.

Congratulations again on what sounds like an excellent family!

Wait until the day comes when you suddenly realize that one of your children is smarter (not just more educated but smarter) then you are and you should start taking his or her advise very seriously. You feel old and proud at the same moment.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 14 Nov 2017, 01:01:02

The richest 10% of people produce half of Earth’s climate-harming fossil-fuel emissions, while the poorest half contribute a mere 10%, British charity Oxfam said in a report …

The report said that an average person among the richest one percent emits 175 times more carbon than his or her counterpart among the bottom 10%.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... says-oxfam

Just to come back to the study that launched this thread...a good reminder to us all.
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 17652
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 19:15:41

And yet according to what I have read, the poor South will be disproportionately affected by AGW. I see no concrete actions to ameliorate this situation.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
User avatar
onlooker
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 9654
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 17 Nov 2017, 12:38:36

onlooker wrote:And yet according to what I have read, the poor South will be disproportionately affected by AGW. I see no concrete actions to ameliorate this situation.


The poor ALWAYS feel the most pain. I think it is completely useless to mention who feels the pain.

The wealthy think they can isolate themselves with their money. This is the mindset that has to be changed.
User avatar
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu 28 May 2009, 09:10:44

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby GHung » Fri 17 Nov 2017, 13:11:35

The wealthy think they can isolate themselves with their money. This is the mindset that has to be changed...


.... because they always have in the past. Winter homes on Jekyll Island, summer retreats in the Adirondacks, private compounds and communities in places like Long Island and Nantucket... How do you change that? Pitchforks and Kalashnikovs?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
User avatar
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2468
Joined: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 15:06:11
Location: Moksha, Nearvana

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby Cog » Fri 17 Nov 2017, 16:49:53

Except for the fact that the left, who are always quick to talk about income inequality, also want to ban guns. Good luck with all that revolution stuff without them.
User avatar
Cog
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 10873
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 17 Nov 2017, 16:59:57

jedrider wrote:
onlooker wrote:And yet according to what I have read, the poor South will be disproportionately affected by AGW. I see no concrete actions to ameliorate this situation.


The poor ALWAYS feel the most pain. I think it is completely useless to mention who feels the pain.

The wealthy think they can isolate themselves with their money. This is the mindset that has to be changed.

But of course. Let's pretend like "the poor" have NONE of their situation due to self-inflicted behaviors. As if actions didn't have consequences.

When I was in my 20's, I noticed that a lot of businesses had a smattering of cars in the parking lots on Saturdays. Clearly people working overtime. And I noticed that a large plurality of those cars were fancy cars and/or luxury cars. Aha! That correlation isn't an accident.

But let's pretend wealth and work have no correlation, so we can blame "the rich" for all our problems. As though that will solve the problem. :roll:
Last edited by Outcast_Searcher on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 17:01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 5712
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Nov 2017, 17:00:21

Cog wrote:Except for the fact that the left, who are always quick to talk about income inequality, also want to ban guns. Good luck with all that revolution stuff without them.

What are your handguns and rifles going to do against a modern well armed potent military ?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
User avatar
onlooker
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 9654
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby Cog » Fri 17 Nov 2017, 23:22:16

onlooker wrote:
Cog wrote:Except for the fact that the left, who are always quick to talk about income inequality, also want to ban guns. Good luck with all that revolution stuff without them.

What are your handguns and rifles going to do against a modern well armed potent military ?


The same thing the Taliban has done against our military in Afghanistan since 2001. Survive to fight another day. You do not attack the pointy end of the stick in an insurgency. There are much more juicy and less defended targets of opportunity. A modern military is potent because of its logistics train. Eliminate that, and you remove what makes it a potent fighting force.

But what makes you think the military are going to target the deplorables? I'd be more worried if I were on the left right now.
User avatar
Cog
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 10873
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 21 May 2018, 19:05:47

“surged by 24 percent to a record level of $9.2 trillion,” in 2017.

" the richest 10 billionaires own a combined $663 billion"

“dramatic improvement in extreme wealth creation” in the United States due to “buoyant equity markets and robust corporate earnings.”

"The United States is home to the most billionaires of any country in the world and accounts for 34 percent of billionaire wealth worldwide. New York maintained its position as the top billionaire city, home to 103 billionaires."

"In 2017, Wealth-X published a report on the world’s “ultra high net worth” population, which includes individuals whose net worth is over $30 million.

According to this report, the world’s “ultra wealthy”—some 250,000 people worldwide—owned a combined $25 trillion, including $9.6 trillion in liquid cash alone. "

For just one fifth of the total wealth of the 10 richest people in the world, the following social needs could be immediately addressed:

* The provision of housing for all 634,000 homeless people in the US: $20 billion

* The provision of food to 862 million malnourished people worldwide: $30 billion

* Reduction by half of the total number of people without access to clean water: $11 billion

* Education for every child who doesn’t receive one: $26 billion

* Free maternal and prenatal care for every mother in the developing world: $13 billion

* Treatment and vaccination to prevent 4 million malaria deaths: $6 billion

* Replacement of the toxic water infrastructure of Flint, Michigan with a safe and clean system: $1.5 billion

* Immediate $20,000 bonuses to all 3.1 million teachers in the US: $62 billion

Total cost: $169.5 billion.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/05 ... s-m21.html
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 17652
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 21 May 2018, 22:40:36

dohboi wrote:For just one fifth of the total wealth of the 10 richest people in the world, the following social needs could be immediately addressed:

* The provision of housing for all 634,000 homeless people in the US: $20 billion

* The provision of food to 862 million malnourished people worldwide: $30 billion

* Reduction by half of the total number of people without access to clean water: $11 billion

* Education for every child who doesn’t receive one: $26 billion

* Free maternal and prenatal care for every mother in the developing world: $13 billion

* Treatment and vaccination to prevent 4 million malaria deaths: $6 billion

* Replacement of the toxic water infrastructure of Flint, Michigan with a safe and clean system: $1.5 billion

* Immediate $20,000 bonuses to all 3.1 million teachers in the US: $62 billion

Total cost: $169.5 billion.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/05 ... s-m21.html


I have mentioned this before Dohboi, but hidden in this egregious inequity of wealth is a constraining force to reduce consumption and population. All those social needs being met translates to how many more hundreds of millions or billions of consumers?
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
website: http://www.mounttotumas.com
User avatar
Ibon
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 6537
Joined: Fri 03 Dec 2004, 03:00:00
Location: Volcan, Panama

Re: Richest 10% Produce 50% of Carbon Emissions

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 22 May 2018, 01:23:24

It's hopeless, you are questioning the values of a committed "social justice warrior", all too eager to go on complaining until everyone everywhere is equally miserable and poor.

He just cannot stand the idea that somebody somewhere has more to eat, more to spend, or more opportunity than some miserable turd world citizen, because of where they were born. It offends his Marxist ideals.

...just not enough to give up his life of priviledge as a 1%er citizen of the USA.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 5403
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests