Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The ‘sweet spots’ ‘will not last forever SA CEO says

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

The ‘sweet spots’ ‘will not last forever SA CEO says

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 10:50:25

Saudi Aramco's CEO says he does not worry about the booming U.S. shale oil output. The "sweet spots" that American frackers are focusing on will eventually deplete, forcing them to tap less lucrative acreage, Amin Nasser says. Saudi Aramco's Amin Nasser, CEO of the world's largest oil company, says he does not spend much time worrying about booming production from U.S. shale fields. One reason, says Nasser, is that shale drillers will eventually deplete the low-cost, high-quality "sweet spots" they've focused on throughout much of the three-year oil price downturn. American energy companies have driven down the cost of producing a barrel of crude, staved off bankruptcy and prevented output declines by tapping their best oil fields first. "The concentration that we are seeing today is on the sweet spot of shale, and this will not last forever," Nasser said in an

Saudi CEO says US Sweetspot won't last forever
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: The ‘sweet spots’ ‘will not last forever SA CEO says

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 10:53:27

This guy is right. They won't last forever. But those who decide how long they will last aren't talking about them running out anytime in the near future. Might even get another (3rd since 1970?) US peak out of them!

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 15:24:03

AdamB wrote:This guy is right. They won't last forever. But those who decide how long they will last aren't talking about them running out anytime in the near future. Might even get another (3rd since 1970?) US peak out of them!

And he's talking his own book of course, like short.

We don't need forever. We need a couple/few decades, globally. By then, peak demand should be well behind us. Meanwhile, I'd prefer a fairly high oil price (near $100), to keep demand in check and accelerate the transition to green tech.

SA REQUIRES a high oil price to transition to something remotely sustainable, so they must insist it will happen to keep their power intact.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 24 Oct 2017, 21:42:07

Outcast_Searcher wrote:SA REQUIRES a high oil price to transition to something remotely sustainable, so they must insist it will happen to keep their power intact.

And they have this little issue of an IPO coming up...the more people can be convinced their oil is worth...the higher that opening stock price! And that means, for the same number of shares...more of THIS!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 25 Oct 2017, 13:20:43

"transition to green tech"

Here is Outcasts "transition". New ways of growing food because they're broke and cannot import any, free online education because they are broke and cannot afford an education system, e-governance because they have nothing to tax in the first place except other peoples fake money, net-zero carbon house which is a solar powered lean-to without 4 walls, and a city layout that encourages walking and bikes because they have no money for transportation.

In other words, its Pure Decadence for the Palace Keepers and everyone else is going to starve to death.

Prince Mohammad unveils $500 bln megacity
“NEOM will be backed by more than $500 billion over the coming years by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, local as well as international investors”, said Prince Mohammad, who is also chairman of the PIF.
Future technologies will form the cornerstone for the development, such as autonomous cars and passenger drones; new ways of growing and processing food; free high-speed internet; free online education; full scale e-governance; net-zero carbon houses; and a city layout that encourages walking and bicycling, he added.
NEOM will operate as an independent economic zone with its own laws, taxes and regulations, according to its official website.
The new development – which will be solely powered by renewable energy – is expected to boost economic growth and diversification, create job opportunities, and enhance the Kingdom’s gross domestic product.
https://www.argaam.com/en/article/artic ... /id/511012
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 25 Oct 2017, 14:00:53

Outcast_Searcher wrote:We don't need forever. We need a couple/few decades, globally. By then, peak demand should be well behind us. Meanwhile, I'd prefer a fairly high oil price (near $100), to keep demand in check and accelerate the transition to green tech.

I am a bit more Draconian. Having experienced just how normal an EV is, and knowing what Tony Seba knows because..well...he happily tells everyone....I say tax all oil at the refinery gate to $250/bbl, and let the chips fall where they may. And then we sit back and watch the revolution roll out across the entire country, probably with American net energy independence to boot as a bonus.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Thu 26 Oct 2017, 09:17:55

I hate to agree with Adam B, but a $250 tax on every barrel of oil would make things happen.

The chances of it happening are slim, but if we could at least drop all subsidies for fossil fuels that would be a start.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:06:12

Revi wrote:I hate to agree with Adam B, but a $250 tax on every barrel of oil would make things happen.

The chances of it happening are slim, but if we could at least drop all subsidies for fossil fuels that would be a start.

And that is how you can truly tell it is a good idea! Even your detractors can't disagree with the sheer blinding logic of the point!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 26 Oct 2017, 16:21:24

AdamB wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:We don't need forever. We need a couple/few decades, globally. By then, peak demand should be well behind us. Meanwhile, I'd prefer a fairly high oil price (near $100), to keep demand in check and accelerate the transition to green tech.

I am a bit more Draconian. Having experienced just how normal an EV is, and knowing what Tony Seba knows because..well...he happily tells everyone....I say tax all oil at the refinery gate to $250/bbl, and let the chips fall where they may. And then we sit back and watch the revolution roll out across the entire country, probably with American net energy independence to boot as a bonus.

I don't doubt for a moment you woukd cause a revolution, but not the one you are writing about. The politicians who enacted such a draconian overnight tax would be impeached if they failed to rescind the tax post haste, and even then are likely to be recalled or voted out at the very next oportunity to be replaced with someone more consumer friendly.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 26 Oct 2017, 16:32:14

Subjectivist wrote:
AdamB wrote:

I don't doubt for a moment you woukd cause a revolution, but not the one you are writing about.

I was thinking of 2..happening simultaneously. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Subjectivist wrote:The politicians who enacted such a draconian overnight tax would be impeached if they failed to rescind the tax post haste, and even then are likely to be recalled or voted out at the very next oportunity to be replaced with someone more consumer friendly.

Of course they would be impeached for doing the right thing. If we citizens were lucky, they would be LYNCHED for doing the right thing. That would then cure part of the problem by taking out a level of elites who thought public service so they could wallow at the public trough later was a good idea.

And the ensuing screaming and yelling and whining would be beyond monumental. But like I said, some of us have experienced months if not the majority of a year driving and not needing to put liquid fuels in the car.

Tony's scenario is far better, because it requires no such interference in the markets. The markets are curing this problem by themselves, so I just need to stand back, have a little patience, and collect an even cooler EV than the wife when they arrive.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby GHung » Thu 26 Oct 2017, 16:40:52

AdamB said; "And the ensuing screaming and yelling and whining would be beyond monumental. But like I said, some of us have experienced months if not the majority of a year driving and not needing to put liquid fuels in the car.

Tony's scenario is far better, because it requires no such interference in the markets. The markets are curing this problem by themselves, so I just need to stand back, have a little patience, and collect an even cooler EV than the wife when they arrive."

Wow, Adam, you are either really out of touch with how many/most Americans live,, or don't care. I know too many folks living pay check to pay check, some not 'living' as you seem to understand it, and they simply can't tolerate any sort of shock such as you guys are so casually discussing. EVs? Really? And when the 'revolution' goes down, it'll be folks like you they come for; not the politicians you detest so much.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion