Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Will Hillary be indicted mishandling classified Emails? Pt. 3

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Will Hillary be indicted mishandling classified Emails?

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 07:02:08

Cog wrote:How is that impeachment coming along?

I think you will win this bet but like Hurricane Irma beyond 3 days who the hell knows what twists and turns will happen in Trump's deranged mind. There is lots of time remaining. My chances of winning our wager though is a long shot. I think I was a bit caught up in all the media hype when I was back in the US. Believe me, it is wonderful to be in a back water country in a remote rural corner where US politics and global geopolitics do not even register in our daily social contacts with the locals here.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 07:53:19

Maybe you should quit listening to CNN and start listening to people who actually live in fly-over land if you want to understand the true pulse of the American people. Although you probably consider them all racists, just like the Cajun Navy flying confederate flags, who rescued scores of black people from certain death in Houston.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 11:24:06

Cog wrote:Maybe you should quit listening to CNN and start listening to people who actually live in fly-over land if you want to understand the true pulse of the American people. Although you probably consider them all racists, just like the Cajun Navy flying confederate flags, who rescued scores of black people from certain death in Houston.

The whole confederate flag and confederate monument thing seems to be mainly a D strategy to wee-wee up the black vote, which failed to turn out for Hillary. D mayors and other D politicians are pushing it hard, but other than a few young hotheads and D extremists, I don't think most people care that much about it.

As Houston showed, we are stronger together then we are divided. You could just feel the MSM getting ready to pounce on Trump to try to blame him for Hurricane Harvey, but instead most people came away feeling good about the way the people of Houston, the USA, and even Donald trump rose to the occasion and did a good job in the midst of the Harvey catastrophe.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 12:19:55

Cog wrote:start listening to people who actually live in fly-over land if you want to understand the true pulse of the American people.

I have been cooking around the idea to start a thread to actually dig deeper into this. Tanada and you and others have been addressing this need to more thoroughly understand the disenfranchised working class. I have been thinking more on this lately and have some insights I would like to share. I am a bit caught up at the moment. Today a guy doing research on the status of jaguars and Pumas is visiting and I am sorting through 4 years of game camera images to prepare for his visit. He was recongized by Nat Geo as one of the leading environmentalists in 2017 for his work with these big cats here in Central America.

I must confess I have to prioritize big cats over the american working class at this moment. More later.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 12:31:18

Before you launch into a multi-page dissertation on how only disenfranchised working class whites are the only people who voted for Trump, you need to check your references. I'm certainly not disenfranchised and neither is a lot Trump's voters and backers.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 15:49:58

Ibon,

I've been poking at this idea for a bit myself. I pick up used books to read and have stumbled across a few recently that attack this from different angles.

These books, both R and D, are roughly 20 years old but in concept they read fresh. They are universally rough on the excessive wealth split and the extent of globalization. None are sanguine about our future.

After reading them I becomes in results that we have not had a populist progressive backlash. Trump pulled in that direction but don't have the follow through. There is lots to discuss here.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 17:04:02

Cog wrote:Before you launch into a multi-page dissertation on how only disenfranchised working class whites are the only people who voted for Trump, you need to check your references. I'm certainly not disenfranchised and neither is a lot Trump's voters and backers.

Yup. All you have to do is ponder that the average income of Trump voters was well above the national average, and that throws a ton of cold water on the idea that the core of Trump voters were poor, ignorant, blue collar class workers.

And yet, it's a core liberal meme, repeated endlessly in places like the NYT, even though they've repeatedly reported on the statistics.

Both the left and the right have plenty of denialism -- just about different subjects.

(And again, I'm not a Trump (or HRC) voter and am politically a moderate. But facts and data and honest reporting do matter to me).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Previous

Return to North America Discussion