Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy 75th Birthday, Golden Gate Bridge

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Happy 75th Birthday, Golden Gate Bridge

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 04 Apr 2017, 20:51:55

8th anniversery is coming up next month, any idea what San Fransisco has planned?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Happy 75th Birthday, Golden Gate Bridge

Unread postby hvacman » Wed 05 Apr 2017, 19:38:04

... and why they AREN'T celebrating as they did on the 50th...

SOME PEOPLE point to a major difference between the earthquake in 1906 and the 50th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge on May 24, 1987.

The Bridgewalk was planned.

Perhaps this is an uncharitable view, since no one was killed on the Bridgewalk. And the only thing shaken was the people's faith in their government's competence.

Ten years ago, while trapped shoulder to shoulder in the mob, unable to move for more than two hours, I remember discussing with my wife the real possibility that we were about to participate in one of the 20th century's landmark disasters. A bridge collapse would have put to shame all those petty Third World bus and ferry tragedies you read about in the newspaper.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/When ... 118665.php
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to North America Discussion