Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hi

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Hi

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 13:51:05

Hi SumYumGai. Welcome to the site, and I don't see what it matters what your handle is.

If you hang around here for a while, you'll notice that there is a heavy bias toward the attitude that peak oil is in our face and thus we're all doomed real soon now.

If you dare to propose an alternate view, due to conflicting data (like that there is obviously a big oil glut now), you tend to get many people upset.

I wouldn't worry about it. I got on here to learn about oil's real place in the world, since I wanted to invest in it long term. I get some of that info here, and a lot of other stuff too...

You'll find that there are a whole range of opinions and issues. There is some intelligent debate and discussion, and some less so. People are different -- so be it.

Disclosure: I'm a moderate, who thinks we'll likely keep stumbling along and screwing many things up for many decades yet at least. I have major concerns about global warming (AGW), but I also see some very hopeful things, like how quickly some very effective and moderately priced PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicles) that are Chevy Volt clones with some improvements (but shorter all electric range so far) are coming to market from a variety of quality car companies.

So I'm cautiously optimistic, but am VERY concerned about how slowly we are moving toward green energy sources like solar and wind, and how we are doing very little about endlessly increasing the global population, and thus how much stress we put on the planet.

Though I think peak oil is "real", I think AGW completely dwarfs peak oil in the next 50 years or so, as far as being a severe problem.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby madihakhan » Fri 05 Aug 2016, 01:16:20

welcome and I am also new to this forum lets see what I can learn from here
madihakhan
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Aaron03 » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 05:13:48

Hello everyone,
I am a new member and writer. I think that, I can learn lots of things to this forum which will help me to write some content about hydrocarbon assignment and I can use it to provide my help to my students.
Aaron03
Wood
Wood

Unread postby sparky » Mon 06 Mar 2017, 01:04:12

best of luck and welcome
as a primer for the site , there is a range of beliefs on the hydrocarbons extraction

At one end , the Ubber-Doomers ,
modern civilization is growing off 200 millions years of fossil carbon deposit ,this is now coming to an end , like now !
no grow means a societal collapse ,
....that's "the road runner argument" , Willie Coyote has run over the edge

At the other end , the cornucopians ( from the cornucopia horn of plenty )
there is a great abundance of fossil carbon which can be extracted for the coming decades
extra heavy oils , tar sands , natural gas , untapped undiscovered new fields , enhanced recovery ...etc
they concede a rise in cost but would point out that the price per barrel is very manageable
....society would painfully adapt as it always does

A side groups are the Greenies who affirm that burning all this carbon is a deadly practice
we must stop this carbon addiction before it kill us all
....that's the windmill as saviors theory

Most are somewhere inside this triangle , opinions fluctuate only a little

Good luck with your endeavor :)
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 06 Mar 2017, 02:09:09

Aaron - What do you teach?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 06 Mar 2017, 04:53:35

Aaron, the archives on this site have an extensive database which is excellent as a reference especially as a primer on the subjects discussed here. Welcome
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to Welcome