Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE General Motors Thread pt 3

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE General Motors Thread pt 3

Unread postby Revi » Wed 27 May 2015, 08:07:53

The problem with GM is that their brand is in need of a facelift. Bu-ick, General Motors (who wants anything that says general anything in it, it's like the generic store brand) Chevrolet used to have some panache, but the only thing they have produced that has any style is the Volt, and even that isn't as cool as it could be. I just have to ask, why? Why would anyone want these cars? They need to go the way of the dinosaurs. There are lots of innovative American car companies that are doing fine, like the ELF, Tesla and the Gem Car. Who needs those gas guzzlers anymore? The only ones buying them are people who haven't gotten the message yet.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 27 May 2015, 08:58:56

Revi wrote:The problem with GM is that their brand is in need of a facelift. Bu-ick, General Motors (who wants anything that says general anything in it, it's like the generic store brand) Chevrolet used to have some panache, but the only thing they have produced that has any style is the Volt, and even that isn't as cool as it could be. I just have to ask, why? Why would anyone want these cars? They need to go the way of the dinosaurs. There are lots of innovative American car companies that are doing fine, like the ELF, Tesla and the Gem Car. Who needs those gas guzzlers anymore? The only ones buying them are people who haven't gotten the message yet.

Speaking of the Volt have you seen this, just out from Time magazine?

http://time.com/money/3896107/chevy-volt-sales/

Car shoppers, take note: The Chevy Volt has received a $4,400 price cut, according to the Detroit Free Press.

TrueCar, an online shopping guide, shows the plug-in hybrid’s average average closing price has dipped from $35,000 to $30,607.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby hvacman » Wed 27 May 2015, 12:57:43

re: Volt prices - So $30K - $7.5K fed tax credit - $1.5 K CA state rebate = $21K for for a great vehicle that averages for the typical owner about 100 mpg and has that "electric drive" experience for 75% of the miles and without the range anxiety of a pure EV.Gas prices, at least in CA, are up to $3.50/gallon. The dealers should be able to move these units.
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 25 Jan 2017, 07:42:01

General Motors (NYSE: GM) CEO Mary Barra issues statement on Trump meetings:

"We had a very constructive and wide-ranging discussion about how we can work together on policies that support a strong and competitive economy and auto industry, one that supports the environment and safety. The U.S. is our home market and we are eager to come together to reinvigorate U.S. manufacturing. We all want a vibrant U.S. manufacturing base that is competitive globally and that grows jobs. It's good for our employees, our dealers, our suppliers and our customers."

http://www.streetinsider.com/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby hvacman » Wed 25 Jan 2017, 20:29:11

Tanada wrote:
General Motors (NYSE: GM) CEO Mary Barra issues statement on Trump meetings:

"We had a very constructive and wide-ranging discussion about how we can work together on policies that support a strong and competitive economy and auto industry, one that supports the environment and safety. The U.S. is our home market and we are eager to come together to reinvigorate U.S. manufacturing. We all want a vibrant U.S. manufacturing base that is competitive globally and that grows jobs. It's good for our employees, our dealers, our suppliers and our customers."

http://www.streetinsider.com/

Very diplomatically-worded:) I grew up in a GM family. Watching GM's poor management through the 1980's to the early 2000's was painful. Mary - a 2nd generation GM lifer - has breathed new life into GM's moribund-corporate culture that led it to bankruptcy. There very likely will not be anything like another Cruze ignition switch debacle, nor bankruptcy under her watch. She's a hell of a leader. Both forward-and-bottom-line thinking, with an actual sense of ethics. She'd make a great POTUS if she ever felt the calling. I think she was considered as a possible dem VP candidate for HRC.

https://www.wired.com/2016/01/gm-electric-car-chevy-bolt-mary-barra/
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to North America Discussion