Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Guy McPherson Pt. 1

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 28 Oct 2016, 08:54:28

For what it's worth, one can make quite passable potato chips with potatoes, a vegetable peeler, and a wood stove to heat a kettle full of vegetable oil. Sea salt to taste afterwards. Potatoes grow in all 50 states and Puerto Rico and Canada and Mexico.

I admit, I've only done so a few times, and the results were always edible but not always superior to the chips produced by a food technologist.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 6094
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: Wisconsin's Dreamland

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby GHung » Fri 28 Oct 2016, 09:38:22

litesong wrote:
jedrider wrote:When the plentiful food system breaks down then that is the end......


The only food that provides more calories than calories it takes to produce is the potato. Not sure what that means. It may mean that potatoes may be the only food to be mass produced & able to be delivered to people economically. Other food may have to be produced locally...very locally. No strawberries in the winter. Best strawberries (& ears of corn) are produced in Washington state.....best boysenberries, too. Best huckleberries & blueberries are above 4000 feet in the Washington Cascade mountains.


A lot of potatoes can be grown in a small space. This guy is lots of fun to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8IYZwkaJg

I've tried the "Mittleider gardening method" and it works quite well. If you have a source for sawdust and clean sand (and a little NPK), it's worth a try.

As for making potato chips, having a mandolin food slicer helps a lot; get those thin even slices quickly.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
User avatar
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 15:06:11
Location: Moksha, Nearvana

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby jupiters_release » Tue 06 Dec 2016, 20:17:25

careinke wrote:
litesong wrote:
jedrider wrote:When the plentiful food system breaks down then that is the end......


The only food that provides more calories than calories it takes to produce is the potato. Not sure what that means. It may mean that potatoes may be the only food to be mass produced & able to be delivered to people economically. Other food may have to be produced locally...very locally. No strawberries in the winter. Best strawberries (& ears of corn) are produced in Washington state.....best boysenberries, too. Best huckleberries & blueberries are above 4000 feet in the Washington Cascade mountains.


The vast majority of food produced needs to be produced locally in order to have any chance of being sustainable, much less regenerative. We are closer than you think, I believe around 80% of the food today is produced and consumed "locally."


Who is "we"?
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon 10 Oct 2005, 02:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 08:26:15

careinke wrote:The vast majority of food produced needs to be produced locally in order to have any chance of being sustainable, much less regenerative. We are closer than you think, I believe around 80% of the food today is produced and consumed "locally."

More like 20% would be more like it.
Lettuce from California, beef from Nebraska wheat from Alberta,oranges from Florida,pork from Iowa,Chicken and eggs from N. Carolina,Cheese from Wisconsin, beer from New Hampshire+ Colorado, .
My potatoes and milk are local production but that is about it.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 9772
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:29:58

vt is more right than wrong here for once.

On potatoes, I have successfully grown them in old leaves. They are products of the forest floor originally, after all.
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 18311
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 10:37:15

"Locally" would probably mean only a few km away.
http://sites.google.com/site/peakoilreports/
User avatar
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 4953
Joined: Sat 28 Mar 2009, 10:36:38
Location: The Wasteland

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 12:19:36

ralfy wrote:"Locally" would probably mean only a few km away.

A fifty mile radius is the usual standard. Goes back to the days of horse and wagon.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 9772
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 15:30:20

20-30 miles would be a full days ride on a horse. With a wagon much less, 12 to 20 miles in a day. Since local would be someplace you could go and come home in a day, we are talking 10 miles.

Back in the day, Dallas to Ft Worth, a little over 30 miles, was considered a hard days ride for a rider with 2 horses.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Wed 07 Dec 2016, 15:55:46, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
User avatar
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 7169
Joined: Sun 27 May 2007, 02:00:00
Location: The Post Peak Oil Historian

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 16:04:26

The reality is most will not survive for long, there will be no government to house and feed you. No food to be had, and everyone around you a potential threat. Reality will be starvation, pandemic and violence.

We were discussing the definition of local, did that somehow push your buttons? You really need to mellow out.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
User avatar
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 7169
Joined: Sun 27 May 2007, 02:00:00
Location: The Post Peak Oil Historian

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 16:14:16

vtsnowedin wrote:
careinke wrote:The vast majority of food produced needs to be produced locally in order to have any chance of being sustainable, much less regenerative. We are closer than you think, I believe around 80% of the food today is produced and consumed "locally."

More like 20% would be more like it.
Lettuce from California, beef from Nebraska wheat from Alberta,oranges from Florida,pork from Iowa,Chicken and eggs from N. Carolina,Cheese from Wisconsin, beer from New Hampshire+ Colorado, .
My potatoes and milk are local production but that is about it.


Sorry I was speaking globally, not US specific.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
User avatar
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 3629
Joined: Mon 01 Jan 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 16:16:21

jupiters_release wrote:
careinke wrote:
litesong wrote:
jedrider wrote:When the plentiful food system breaks down then that is the end......


The only food that provides more calories than calories it takes to produce is the potato. Not sure what that means. It may mean that potatoes may be the only food to be mass produced & able to be delivered to people economically. Other food may have to be produced locally...very locally. No strawberries in the winter. Best strawberries (& ears of corn) are produced in Washington state.....best boysenberries, too. Best huckleberries & blueberries are above 4000 feet in the Washington Cascade mountains.


The vast majority of food produced needs to be produced locally in order to have any chance of being sustainable, much less regenerative. We are closer than you think, I believe around 80% of the food today is produced and consumed "locally."


Who is "we"?


Humans
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
User avatar
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 3629
Joined: Mon 01 Jan 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby jupiters_release » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 16:21:02

careinke wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
careinke wrote:The vast majority of food produced needs to be produced locally in order to have any chance of being sustainable, much less regenerative. We are closer than you think, I believe around 80% of the food today is produced and consumed "locally."

More like 20% would be more like it.
Lettuce from California, beef from Nebraska wheat from Alberta,oranges from Florida,pork from Iowa,Chicken and eggs from N. Carolina,Cheese from Wisconsin, beer from New Hampshire+ Colorado, .
My potatoes and milk are local production but that is about it.


Sorry I was speaking globally, not US specific.


Over half the world's population live in cities, so at least 60% of city dwellers in the world get their food locally (of course assuming 100% of rural do to come to 80% total)?
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon 10 Oct 2005, 02:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby jupiters_release » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 16:27:13

pstarr wrote:
jupiters_release wrote:
careinke wrote:The vast majority of food produced needs to be produced locally in order to have any chance of being sustainable, much less regenerative. We are closer than you think, I believe around 80% of the food today is produced and consumed "locally."


Who is "we"?

We, the bulk of the American public, all 300 million, will never have access to land or care much about local. We are going to look for calories, and will so without gainful employment. So what will We do? We the government, military and police forces will put us where we can be fed and watered easily. I'm thinking converted Walmart/Home Depot barracks.

BTW, this nonsense about a day's horse ride, potatoes and the such ignores the reality. And there is no "local" metric I am aware of? Could be at the end of the driveway? It's mostly a buzz word to rope in the foodies at Whole Foods Market.


Your back to the land local farmers truck in chx manure from Petaluma 200 miles away. Your local heritage chx farmers receive their hatchlings from mennonites in Pennsylvania via mail. Redwood curtain should be renamed Redwood national.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon 10 Oct 2005, 02:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 19:17:45

pstarr wrote:Real local agriculture would have to be net-nutrient zero. Solar energy, plus co2, plus your own body wastes. And you own body later, on after you die. The rest is industry and depends on OIL OIL OIL

Even after the world peak-oil collapse, the US is still wealthy. We will be housed and fed: a hearty slop at breakfast, SOS and bug juice at lunch and for dinner a big hearty streamy bowl of gruel with bits of dried beef on weekends.


Wow, I hope you enjoy that. :) I plan on eating crab, oysters, mussels, clams, fresh berries, fruits, nuts, vegetables, mushrooms, squashes, tubers, eggs.....I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Sort of like I do now.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
User avatar
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 3629
Joined: Mon 01 Jan 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 20:13:09

jupiters_release wrote:
careinke wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
careinke wrote:The vast majority of food produced needs to be produced locally in order to have any chance of being sustainable, much less regenerative. We are closer than you think, I believe around 80% of the food today is produced and consumed "locally."

More like 20% would be more like it.
Lettuce from California, beef from Nebraska wheat from Alberta,oranges from Florida,pork from Iowa,Chicken and eggs from N. Carolina,Cheese from Wisconsin, beer from New Hampshire+ Colorado, .
My potatoes and milk are local production but that is about it.


Sorry I was speaking globally, not US specific.


Over half the world's population live in cities, so at least 60% of city dwellers in the world get their food locally (of course assuming 100% of rural do to come to 80% total)?

Well you would have to post some links to show what that is in reality.
Living in cites dose not automatically correspond to having access to locally grown food. It would vary greatly between each city and it's primary food source.
New York city used to get its potatoes and other truck garden vegetables from farms on Long Island. Those fields have sense been covered with Levit town suburbia and the produce is now hauled in from Idaho and California.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 9772
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 21:51:39

jr wrote: "...at least 60% of city dwellers in the world get their food locally...of course assuming 100% of rural do "

Both totally bizarre and unsupported claims.

Can I have some of whatever you're smokin'???
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 18311
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby jupiters_release » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 22:41:35

dohboi wrote:jr wrote: "...at least 60% of city dwellers in the world get their food locally...of course assuming 100% of rural do "

Both totally bizarre and unsupported claims.

Can I have some of whatever you're smokin'???


You omitted my question mark after the parenthesis; I was quoting, questioning, addressing careinke who made the claim. My response to pstarr should've made that self-evident.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon 10 Oct 2005, 02:00:00

Re: When it's over, it's over, it's over,it's over

Unread postby jupiters_release » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 22:44:11

careinke wrote:
pstarr wrote:Real local agriculture would have to be net-nutrient zero. Solar energy, plus co2, plus your own body wastes. And you own body later, on after you die. The rest is industry and depends on OIL OIL OIL

Even after the world peak-oil collapse, the US is still wealthy. We will be housed and fed: a hearty slop at breakfast, SOS and bug juice at lunch and for dinner a big hearty streamy bowl of gruel with bits of dried beef on weekends.


Wow, I hope you enjoy that. :) I plan on eating crab, oysters, mussels, clams, fresh berries, fruits, nuts, vegetables, mushrooms, squashes, tubers, eggs.....I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Sort of like I do now.


There's over 30 becquerels per cubic meter off Pacific coast now, I'd give up all Pacific seafood if I were you.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon 10 Oct 2005, 02:00:00

Re: Guy McPherson

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 01 Jan 2019, 09:22:20

Kevin and Guy were joined for a few minutes by citizen journalist extraordinaire Kiwi Robin Westenra of the Seemorerocks blog, robinwestenra.blogspot.com. Most of this episode is committed to a discussion with Wales organic farmer Roger Hallam of the Extinction Revolution.


https://youtu.be/_sj-3TvTsxA
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
User avatar
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15449
Joined: Thu 28 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: South West shore Lake Erie, OH, USA

Re: Guy McPherson

Unread postby Revi » Wed 02 Jan 2019, 10:49:07

Here's a talk between Guy and a Millenial. It's pretty interesting. He doesn't seem to crazy to me. I think his strident voice is a good thing, but it seems like a dissonant voice doesn't get listened to, even if they are right. Guy makes some great points, and if you talk to other climate scientists they all are saying the same thing. He is talking about the collapse in grain crops and how that could lead to a famine. It's pretty plausible to me. He doesn't even have to get into the near term extinction in order to get our attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPO0QBIvSU
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
User avatar
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 7180
Joined: Mon 25 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: Maine

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests