Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Here's what's still not working with the site. Please fix

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Re: Here's what's still not working with the site. Please fi

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 19:36:29

PeakOiler wrote:The main issues I'm currently experiencing with this web site is that the Members Forum Posts View does not show threads that I've already read (it used to show a grayed-out icon next to the thread title) and most of the images on recent threads that I (and others) have posted do not load. ...

Yup. +1

The Forum Posts member View button used to show "Active" topics, so if you just posted something your topic came up on top in the Members view. Now it shows only "Unread" topics so if you post something the topic you just commented on doesn't even appear.

Personally, I liked it the way it used to be, showing active topics instead of unread ones. Any chance of changing back?

Thanks.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PeakOiler » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 19:39:26

Thanks Vox.

I should add that in the Guests View, I DO see the grayed-out icons for threads that I have already read do appear, so it seems that the sort is working in that view, but not in the Members View.
Last edited by PeakOiler on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 19:55:16, edited 2 times in total.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 19:41:22

Agree Planty, though if you are using Chrome, just type 'active' in the toolbar & it finds.

I can't get the url function to work normally, what's up with that?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 19:46:53

Actually sometimes active works sometimes not. The Dutertard thread keeps vanishing, like someone has decided criticism of a raving murderer lunatic isn't kosher when said is the President of a 'pivot'.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 19:58:12

SeaGypsy wrote:Actually sometimes active works sometimes not. The Dutertard thread keeps vanishing, like someone has decided criticism of a raving murderer lunatic isn't kosher when said is the President of a 'pivot'.

What I think is happening is that Forum Posts Member View is only showing you new posts since the last time you looked. When you open it and then click again on Forum Posts Member View then it disappears until somebody posts on the thread. If you dont find the thread on Forum Posts Member View you will find it still when you click View Your Posts.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 20:29:40

I like the unread post function that now shows when I click member view. It shows all the posts that have been made since the last time I looked at them. I rarely reread a message I just posted, whats the point in that? If I need to see something I posted I just click on my name and select search member posts and it lists them from most recent down.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 06 Nov 2016, 15:18:27

It would be great if we were notified when we receive an email message
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 08:48:52

onlooker wrote:It would be great if we were notified when we receive an email message

If you mean Email it should show up in your reader normally.

If you mean PM (Private Message) it is an individual User setting. Look at the left side bar and scroll down until you find the button labeled User Control Panel
Click that button to open your User Control Panel
Select the third tab Board Preferences
Make sure these two buttons say YES

Notify me on new private messages:
Pop up window on new private message:

Once everything is set the way you want it log out and log back in to make sure the new settings take effect.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 09:10:44

If I make a post on an active topic and then leave and come back to the forum and click on guest view what comes up is listed as active topics but my post will not be there.? It will be in the list if I click on "view your posts". Why is it not in both lists as it is both active and mine? Do other people looking at active topics see it? How can I tell if it posted correctly on any list other then "View your posts"?
Ideally when we click on Member view what comes up should be a list of all active posts in chronological order with a sort button to see only new posts if desired.
Funny this one posted through to the active list while my earlier post on the How are you going to feel Wednesday thread is still not there. :?:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 09:31:43

vtsnowedin wrote:If I make a post on an active topic and then leave and come back to the forum and click on guest view what comes up is listed as active topics but my post will not be there.? It will be in the list if I click on "view your posts". Why is it not in both lists as it is both active and mine? Do other people looking at active topics see it? How can I tell if it posted correctly on any list other then "View your posts"?
Ideally when we click on Member view what comes up should be a list of all active posts in chronological order with a sort button to see only new posts if desired.
Funny this one posted through to the active list while my earlier post on the How are you going to feel Wednesday thread is still not there. :?:

There are still software rewrites going on in the back ground to fix all these issues, but the board has a huge database after all these years. Getting the software to display what individual users want is always important so we do read all these concerns.

I posted this the other day, there are five preset search option built into the system. In this post I put the direct links so you can try them out and decide if one is more useful to achieve what you are looking for.

alternative-pre-set-search-options-t72964.html

Additionally, if you want to confirm your post was made without using the view your posts feature at the top of almost every page is a button Board Index that you can click on to see the list of forums. Click on the forum where you posted your message and it will list the topics on that page. Look at the topic you just posted your message too and you name should appear as the most recent post.

Remember Guest View does not include posts to the Member Only Forums so if your message was to a Member forum it won't show in Guest View when you open it.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 09:41:56

Tanada wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:If I make a post on an active topic and then leave and come back to the forum and click on guest view what comes up is listed as active topics but my post will not be there.? It will be in the list if I click on "view your posts". Why is it not in both lists as it is both active and mine? Do other people looking at active topics see it? How can I tell if it posted correctly on any list other then "View your posts"?

There are still software rewrites going on in the back ground to fix all these issues, but the board has a huge database after all these years. Getting the software to display what individual users want is always important so we do read all these concerns.

I posted this the other day, there are five preset search option built into the system. In this post I put the direct links so you can try them out and decide if one is more useful to achieve what you are looking for.

alternative-pre-set-search-options-t72964.html

Additionally, if you want to confirm your post was made without using the view your posts feature at the top of almost every page is a button Board Index that you can click on to see the list of forums. Click on the forum where you posted your message and it will list the topics on that page. Look at the topic you just posted your message too and you name should appear as the most recent post.

Remember Guest View does not include posts to the Member Only Forums so if your message was to a Member forum it won't show in Guest View when you open it.
Well I saw your post about your alternates and sent you a PM about it but moving on.
OK what appears to be the case is some of my posts are in members only topics. I forget just which ones those are. All the political ones perhaps which is the bulk of my posting lately. So when I make a post it goes to the members only "unread post" list and as soon as someone reads it it disappears from that list and can only be found if a member goes to that particular forum?
I hope your Thanksgiving update goes well because this is annoying.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 09:47:34

the buttons work like this:

Guest view returns a generic list of all active threads & is accessible to registered and unregistered guests
I limited the results to the welcome and peak oil forums simply because we are a peak oil site and wanted to prompt people to register and post
(obviously the app can't track what you've read if you are unregistered)

Members only is the same except since it knows who you are it can indicate (or not display) what you have read
It includes the members only forums as well as PO
previously I had it set to display threads you've read with a grey icon
now it is set to not show read threads at all
as far as I can tell that is the only difference from when I was last here
Its no big deal, just a button
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 09:56:02

Pops wrote:the buttons work like this:

Guest view returns a generic list of all active threads & is accessible to registered and unregistered guests
I limited the results to the welcome and peak oil forums simply because we are a peak oil site and wanted to prompt people to register and post
(obviously the app can't track what you've read if you are unregistered)

Members only is the same except since it knows who you are it can indicate (or not display) what you have read
It includes the members only forums as well as PO
previously I had it set to display threads you've read with a grey icon
now it is set to not show read threads at all
as far as I can tell that is the only difference from when I was last here
Its no big deal, just a button

No Pops right now members only shows a list of "Unread threads only" As soon as anyone reads them they drop off the list. The members only view need to be All active threads and nothing else.
Also if you go to the individual forums they are not now sorted chronologically so the latest postings are not on top or just under pinned topics. It is not just a button because there is no appropriate button to push.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:18:04

Members View displays posts "unread by me", not "unread by anyone", what would be the use of that?
Personally I liked it better when it showed all new posts and indicated what I'd read (but displayed them)

by "just a button" I meant for anyone with admin privileges - IOW it isn't some big coding project

As I look at a couple of forums right now they seem to be ordered correctly so I don't know about that
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:25:13

Pops wrote:Members View displays posts "unread by me", not "unread by anyone", what would be the use of that?
Personally I liked it better when it showed all new posts and indicated what I'd read (but displayed them)

by "just a button" I meant for anyone with admin privileges - IOW it isn't some big coding project

As I look at a couple of forums right now they seem to be ordered correctly so I don't know about that
Looking closer at the individual forums they seem to have unread post on top then the latest read below in chronological order. Why an unread post from a year ago should be on top is beyond me.
So when you make a post it goes to the top and as soon as anybody reads it it drops down below all the unread. Or are you saying everyone gets a list in a different order depending on what he has or has not read?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:46:09

In the forum view posts can be made to "stick" to the top, those have a lightbulb sorta icon.
I can't remember if that is only a moderator thing or if anyone can do it. I always tried to keep those to a minimum simply because what is good should float, I shouldn't be deciding what's on top and as you say, a year old thread at the top just looks like the forum is dead.

In the forum view, threads are ordered chronologically by most recent post for everyone (except for stickies)

Same in the guest view (for PO forum posts only)

Member view shows threads you have not read (and may or may not indicate threads you have, depending on the boards setting)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:53:37

Pops wrote:In the forum view posts can be made to "stick" to the top, those have a lightbulb sorta icon.
I can't remember if that is only a moderator thing or if anyone can do it. I always tried to keep those to a minimum simply because what is good should float, I shouldn't be deciding what's on top and as you say, a year old thread at the top just looks like the forum is dead.

In the forum view, threads are ordered chronologically by most recent post for everyone (except for stickies)

Same in the guest view (for PO forum posts only)

Member view shows threads you have not read (and may or may not indicate threads you have, depending on the boards setting)

So if you proof read your post they disappear from your view on both lists until somebody responds but everybody else can see it?
It was better the old way.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 11:36:46

you got it
i agree
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 15:33:28

So do I
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support