Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Oil prices in the United Kingdom Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: UK - highest average petrol price ever !

Unread postby dorlomin » Thu 08 Apr 2010, 19:09:27

Plantagenet wrote:It can't be good news for Gordon Brown's re-election effort that gas prices in Britain are peaking just as he calls the election :lol:

This the way to Downing street chaps?

dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby bl00k » Fri 09 Apr 2010, 09:22:59

But it's mostly currency-related.
The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
bl00k
Peat
Peat

Unread postby americandream » Sat 10 Apr 2010, 02:46:21

You'll need more than a hard-on in your top lip mate now that there aint a world full of naive dozers ter rip off (whoops, I mean civilise).

dorlomin wrote:Fortunately our government had the foresite\ greed (delete as appropriate) to realise that we peaked out of physical space before almost any other resource and that there was a limit to the amount of cars we could have so squeezing motorists\ preventing congestion (delete as appropriate) became public policy and the government raised revenew with huge fuel taxes, most of the money in that record fuel price is going back into the coffers of the UK government and not some foriegn power.

Number of cars declines for the first time since Second World War

For many people the solution is not all that hard. Bit of stiff upper lip and a bit of wheezing for the first few weeks.....

americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cabrone » Sat 10 Apr 2010, 04:44:13

dorlomin wrote:Fortunately our government had the foresite\ greed (delete as appropriate) to realise that we peaked out of physical space before almost any other resource and that there was a limit to the amount of cars we could have so squeezing motorists\ preventing congestion (delete as appropriate) became public policy and the government raised revenew with huge fuel taxes, most of the money in that record fuel price is going back into the coffers of the UK government and not some foriegn power.

For many people the solution is not all that hard. Bit of stiff upper lip and a bit of wheezing for the first few weeks.....

My (slightly cheating) solution was to get one of these:

That was 2 years ago and I've saved a packet.

I've absolutely no intention to going back to a car.

If the authorities could make cycling safe in this city there's I could see a mass uptake of cycling - London is a fairly flat place after all.
Cabrone
Coal
Coal

Unread postby IslandCrow » Sat 10 Apr 2010, 05:45:22

Cabrone wrote:London is a fairly flat place after all.

But cycling up Highgate Hill or Archway Road after a day at work was no fun. 8O
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 10 Apr 2010, 06:19:42

8) I see from the costs breakdown that you Brits are paying both high fuel taxes and have a VAT in the price and of course you have the prototype of government provided health care. All things coming down the pipe here in the USA. No need of fleet fuel economy standards with a gas tax that high now is there?
Having done all that and paying all those taxes you would think the government would be in pretty good shape. So why the decline of the pound vs. the dollar?
Oh one other thing. You Brits have been dealing with high fuel taxes for quite a while already. Back in 2007 I spent a couple of days with a pair of construction workers from Liverpool that were over here to demonstrate a new product and installation process. A couple of average Joe soccer fans with families.They could not believe the number of 3/4 ton pickups being driven around as one person commuter vehicles and the family cars they described owning back in the UK would have easily fit in the bed of the pickup I was driving.
I don't know what you can do beyond what your already doing but when prices here in the US start to go through the roof the first thing we can do is follow your lead as you are well ahead of us when it comes to conserving fuel.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KevO » Sun 11 Apr 2010, 16:55:58

But you can forget all about bicycles
http://www.energybulletin.net/52397
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dorlomin » Tue 13 Apr 2010, 11:13:07

KevO wrote:But you can forget all about bicycles
http://www.energybulletin.net/52397

Has the author of that piece ever even been in the UK or a clue of the history of urban development? Doubt it with bells on. Any older part of town in the UK, somewhere that dates before about 1910 and you will find that under the tarmac is normally a cobbled road. The UK was cobbling its urban roads in the early 18th century although the most important roads had been cobbled since the 14th century. Small aggregates can also be used when there is little heavy traffic but in any case bitumen to seal the road will remain cheap for decades or even centuries.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Spring petrol sales decline despite lower forecourt prices

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 03 Oct 2012, 07:27:40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19810276
Nearly half a billion fewer litres of petrol and diesel were sold between April and June than during the same period last year, says the Department of Energy and Climate Change.

The reduction came despite a fall in fuel prices during the period.

It came after sales rose at the start of the year when the threat of a tanker drivers' strike saw panic buying.

Motoring organisation The AA said price rises since 2008 have contributed to a "steady decline" in the overall market.

Demand destruction kicking in!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Oil prices in the United Kingdom Thread (merged)

Unread postby dorlomin » Wed 03 Oct 2012, 07:55:24

Snap I was just coming to post this. There has been a massive increase in cycling in the UK over the past few years, but that wont really account for that much of the drop.

Smaller cars and less family days out are likely to play a part as well.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 03 Oct 2012, 09:23:09

dorlomin wrote:Snap I was just coming to post this. There has been a massive increase in cycling in the UK over the past few years, but that wont really account for that much of the drop.

Smaller cars and less family days out are likely to play a part as well.

I suspect that smaller cars and fewer "leisure" journeys are the main reason, but this is more to do with the ressionary pressures on motorists rather than a personal choice.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Thu 04 Oct 2012, 08:41:40

The UKs largest (by far) car parts retailer, Halfords, shows that after a long spell of losing sales in its car departments, its cycling line is booming with sales up 14%

Link
Boosted by Wiggo's yellow, the Olympics and a new focus on women cyclists with the (gorgeous) Victoria Pendleton now marketing a range of womens bikes.

Falling new drivers
A whopping 250,000 fewer new drivers took their test in 2011 than in 2005 with fuel costs and job fears putting an entire generation off the roads, the Driving Standards Agency said 1,080,320 people aged 17-25 took driving tests last year. The traditional pattern of learning to drive and owning a car is being shunned by an increasing number of under-25s worried about rising unemployment, soaring motoring costs paying tuition fees.

Online cycle retailers among fastest growing companies in the UK
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Fri 05 Oct 2012, 05:27:21

test
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:54:03

Interesting headline?

Oil price could make 'upwards break towards $60'

Optimism is growing for future trading, too - BMI Research says it sees "significant potential for an upwards break in Brent towards $60 per barrel".

BMI Research argues this is down to "bullish technical drivers and supportive conditions in the broader financial markets". Essentially, its analysts believe markets are quite "risk-on" and that oil's recent trajectory makes a case for further gains to come.

In addition to ongoing speculation that Opec will confirm its tentative supply deal when it meets formally next month, markets are buoyed by official data showing raw crude stockpiles in the US has fallen for the sixth time in seven weeks.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/oil-price/6083 ... -to-growth
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Europe Discussion