Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Problem staying logged in

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Problem staying logged in

Unread postby curlyq3 » Sat 08 Oct 2016, 21:51:41

Howdy, I am not staying logged in when moving about the website. When I return to Peak Oil News from this area I am no longer logged in ?
curlyq3
Wood
Wood

Re: Problem staying logged in

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 08 Oct 2016, 21:56:00

curlyq3 wrote:Howdy, I am not staying logged in when moving about the website. When I return to Peak Oil News from this area I am no longer logged in ?

curly, this is nothing new.

I've been seeing this on and off for the past week or so. And I've seen other comments about it.

It happened to me in fact, at 11:04 AM EST, the day of the upgrade. At the time I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed the site was being taken down for the scheduled maintenance, and I just left.

My understanding, via another thread, is the admins are aware of this, and it is one of the issues they are working on.

Patience may be needed -- I spent a career learning how insanely devious software issues can be to root out.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby curlyq3 » Sat 08 Oct 2016, 23:04:20

Howdy Outcast_Searcher, thank you for the quick reply ... it seems as though this website has been hitting some turbulence lately! I can appreciate the complex nature that good software has to be to actually function as intended. Do you think that quantum computing (that is just in it's infancy) is going help alleviate many of the unforeseen problems that are difficult to anticipate due to the insane number of variables involved in creating complex software ?
curlyq3
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 09 Oct 2016, 00:43:00

curlyq3 wrote:Do you think that quantum computing (that is just in it's infancy) is going help alleviate many of the unforeseen problems that are difficult to anticipate due to the insane number of variables involved in creating complex software ?

I'm just a layman as far as quantum computing goes, so my response is in that context.

From what I've read, the big social issue with quantum computing is that it immediately breaks all current encryption (i.e. that which relies on certain math problems being hard to solve -- i.e. taking a very, very long time). I've also read that supposedly research is underway to come up with encryption that is quantum computing resistant (and no, I'm not sure precisely what that means).

As far as quantum programming helping reduce the complexity of "complex" software, I'm not sure. My intuition as a former professional application and then system programmer is, generally no. While some problems (involving math, for example) will become trivial to write programs for, things like database systems, A/I, and even things like chess programs will still be horrendously complex, unless I'm missing something fundamental.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 09 Oct 2016, 03:44:13

I suspect TPTB don't like the prevalent attitude to the pending US election. Both candidates of the majors being universally despised.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 21:55:42

If anyone is still having problems please say so. admin has chased down and fixed most of them but if you are still having a problem it might not be known about.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 23:31:14

It seems like staying logged in has super-ceded peak oil and climate change as our most pressing problem.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby curlyq3 » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 09:11:40

Howdy Tanada, when I login, I am taken to the board index page and when I leave that page I am no longer logged in. Sissyfuss says that I need to upgrade from my Radio Shack TRS-80!
curlyq3
Wood
Wood

Unread postby curlyq3 » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 09:29:30

Howdy Tanada, whenever I am at the peak oil home page it is never indicating that I am logged in. When I login I am taken directly to the board index and when I return to the home page it does not indicate that I am still logged in as it used to by having a logout option where the login box is.
curlyq3
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 09:50:50

curlyq3 I reset your account, please reboot your computer, log in and let me know if it is working properly now.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 12:13:47

Tanada wrote:If anyone is still having problems please say so. admin has chased down and fixed most of them but if you are still having a problem it might not be known about.

I can't post in Current Events, not authorized.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby curlyq3 #### » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 14:11:16

Howdy Tanada, still getting this message ...
The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator. Then this ... The username you entered is already in use, please select an alternative.

curlyq3
curlyq3 ####

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 18:26:16

Newfie wrote:
Tanada wrote:If anyone is still having problems please say so. admin has chased down and fixed most of them but if you are still having a problem it might not be known about.

I can't post in Current Events, not authorized.

Me too, I can't even see Current Events let alone post inside.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Technical Support