Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Climate research gutted in Australia.

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Climate research gutted in Australia.

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 05 Feb 2016, 15:03:32

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/clima ... ml7jy.html
In the contest between the Economy and Climate Change action, the economy seems to be routing climate change action despite the rhetoric of the recent Paris climate talks.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Climate research gutted in Australia.

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 05 Feb 2016, 16:09:57

That's a real shame, especially considering their proximity to Antarctica. The continent is also one of the BEST places to research the past history of the Earth as it still has rocks and sentiments from when continents just formed. Considering that Australia is already experiencing the impacts of climate change in a major way, that is like shooting oneself in the foot.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Fri 05 Feb 2016, 16:27:15

No data, no problem, no action!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Fri 05 Feb 2016, 20:21:04

Saving a few million dollars on science is just so much more intelligent than cutting back the billions in pork to private corporations. Starving corporations need your money!
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 05 Feb 2016, 21:08:31

Back story;

Right wing nut jobs are in power, their nut job PM got knifed by the current "moderate" PM, but he sold his soul to the devil(nut job right) to get the numbers for the coup to be successful.
Former right wing nut job PM was going to lose the next election in a landslide,the current moderate right wing PM is massively popular with most Australians (for being socially progressive).
Even though in the past he has said "I wont lead a government that doesnt take climate change seriously", he is a former lawyer who is good at weasel words and like most sociopaths/politicians power is more important than principles.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Dooma » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 23:40:00

It seems that Turnbull is about as socially progressive as "little" Johnny Howard.

He had me fooled as well. Not that I voted for that complete tool Tony.
Dooma
Wood
Wood

Unread postby katkinkate » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 19:58:59

He's just a politician ... says whatever he needs to say to get what he wants in the understanding that most Australians are so politically apathetic that it won't matter much when he's found out to be lying. Most Australians expect pollies to lie.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 13:37:27

katkinkate wrote:He's just a politician ... says whatever he needs to say to get what he wants in the understanding that most Australians are so politically apathetic that it won't matter much when he's found out to be lying. Most Australians expect pollies to lie.

Sounds familiar Kat. I live in NY, USA
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 03 Apr 2016, 14:00:23

But but but the Paris climate accords? We no longer NEED to measure anything, right? The world is going to hold hands and strictly limit AGW! They committed to it. Real world POLITICIANS committed to it!!!

What could possibly go wrong? :roll:

(I don't know what's worse. The accords, or the ongoing articles that claim (in different language) that my sarcastic comments above are what will happen -- i.e. that they are what we need and will surely save us.)

OTOH, given that the majority of the global population still takes organized religion (and the magical sky people it is based on) seriously, such delusion shouldn't surprise me. (I guess I'm a slow learner -- human biases are SO persistent).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion