Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What's the deal with each post requiring a CAPTCHA?

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Re: What's the deal with each post requiring a CAPTCHA?

Unread postby Pops » Tue 17 Nov 2015, 16:37:44

I thought it was fixed, but I'm still getting da captcha

I'll send up the Bat Signal again...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cog » Tue 17 Nov 2015, 16:49:55

I anticipated the commies would come back and try this again. Fortunately Rush Limbaugh has developed a program to defeat this.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 17 Nov 2015, 23:03:20

yeah its back with a vengeance now. Lets see if this post will go through.

Edit Can post here but no where else.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 17 Nov 2015, 23:57:39

The world is being deprived of my superior posts. This outrage must be fixed before we are all doomed to mediocrity.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 12:23:25

The W Bitch is back!

Can't preview; can't save a draft; can't submit a post!

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:40:37

When I first tried to post, my posts would get erased after I clicked Preview/Submit. So I tried updating my connection settings and removed my proxy server(I'm running proxomitron). My posts no longer disappear after completing the captcha. If anyone else has the same problem and they are running through a proxy server you might want to try that as well and see if it helps.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 18:57:21

good tip kub.

Also try deleting board cookies. Not sure if that helps but at least it feels like striking a blow against homeland security... er, PO.com, for putting them there to begin with.

..."delete all board cookies" is at the bottom of the page...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Lore » Wed 18 Nov 2015, 19:58:32

If you keep your replies to the size of the average Tweet your okay. Otherwise, blowing your cookies seems to work for a bit. You're still flagged by Cloud Flare's captcha, but you don't go into an endless loop.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 20 Nov 2015, 13:38:36

Things are seemingly back to normal this morning. Thank you, moderators and admins.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 23 Nov 2015, 11:14:57

I talked to admin again and he twirled some knobs and pulled some levers.

I haven't had a captch in a couple of days.

How about you all?
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cog » Mon 23 Nov 2015, 11:26:32

No more captcha for a day or so. The problem is fixed from my perspective. And a damn good thing too. I have much to post about.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Mon 23 Nov 2015, 11:29:06

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 13:36:59

I got nailed again, after a lot of work on a post.

What I HATE is how for me, then it always refuses to let me post, even when I fill out the Captcha, so my work is lost.

So I guess I either quit participating here, or start saving the text of posts in a word processor and doing a copy/paste.

Since I NEVER spam or advertise or post abusive stuff that wildly (or willfully) violates the spirit of the COC -- I don't see why the moderators can't exempt long time members from this NONSENSE -- UNTIL they show they deserve it for bad posting behavior -- and receive fair warning.

For short term members and especially newbies who are unfortunately possibly spammers, etc. I understand the need for a device like this completely. Not for those who post responsibly (even if not popular among the short term doomer community :P ).

Just one man's opinion, but I think wasting long term members' time with this errant approach is disrespectful to such members, and I don't appreciate it.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Pops » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 13:49:34

Don't take it personally, you sound rather paranoid.
it is not board software but the proxy, it's happening to mods as well as everyone else

If things are working correctly the proxy server should remember you for 12 months after you perform the anti-spam task. Try deleting the board cookies (link @ bottom of page) then restarting your browser and them making a test post.

btw, my habit for years now is to always copy before previewing or posting. Doesn't fix the problem but saves the post.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 14:05:50

Pops wrote:Don't take it personally, you sound rather paranoid.
it is not board software but the proxy, it's happening to mods as well as everyone else

Thanks Pops. Respectfully, I don't know why saying I don't like it is seen as "paranoid". Nor do I see why trying to make a productive suggestion that exempting a list of long term posters with a record of good behavior (relative to the COC, reasonable courtesy, etc, and that I believe I am part of that group) should be seen as paranoid.

I AM NOT suggesting that this is only happening to me, or is happening to me more than anyone else -- just that the way it is implemented, it has an impact. I was polite. I was not angry or spewing (IMO).

It sounds like if it's the proxy, then it will happen to everyone, period. So be it -- I can certainly accept that (and not be paranoid at all about it).

I certainly can change my habits and go to saving the text of my posts -- I just prefer using the tool on the site I'm posting to, as provided. Call it a habit, but perhaps an unrealistic habit given what the modern internet has morphed into.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 12 Dec 2015, 11:37:41

For the first time in a few weeks I got caught in Captcha land again this morning, anyone else having issues?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 12 Dec 2015, 16:02:25

Tanada wrote:For the first time in a few weeks I got caught in Captcha land again this morning, anyone else having issues?
I getting the usual "invalid session" notice plus having to log in again then cut and paste to get a post through. :x
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Technical Support