Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Book: Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism...

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

New Book: Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism...

Unread postby GHung » Wed 21 Oct 2015, 21:05:18

Ron Patterson alerted his readers to an interesting sounding book:

Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism and Libertarian Political Culture

From Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Oil-Apocalyp ... r-mayerson ) :

In recent years, the concept of “peak oil”—the moment when global oil production peaks and a train of economic, social, and political catastrophes accompany its subsequent decline—has captured the imagination of a surprisingly large number of Americans, ordinary citizens as well as scholars, and created a quiet, yet intense underground movement.

In Peak Oil, Matthew Schneider-Mayerson takes readers deep inside the world of “peakists,” showing how their hopes and fears about the postcarbon future led them to prepare for the social breakdown they foresee—all of which are fervently discussed and debated via websites, online forums, videos, and novels. By exploring the worldview of peakists, and the unexpected way that the fear of peak oil and climate change transformed many members of this left-leaning group into survivalists, Schneider-Mayerson builds a larger analysis of the rise of libertarianism, the role of oil in modern life, the political impact of digital technologies, the racial and gender dynamics of post-apocalyptic fantasies, and the social organization of environmental denial.

Reviews:

“This is a highly significant, original, and engaging book. Schneider-Mayerson provides a sophisticated analysis of the rise of libertarianism in the United States and articulates well how the struggle to form a collective response reflects a decline of trust in social institutions and the rise of individualism. Peak Oil is well-written, compelling, and very timely. It will no doubt be of interest to readers both inside and outside of the academy.”
(Kari Marie Norgaard, author of Living in Denial: Climate Change, Emotions, and Everyday Life)

“Schneider-Mayerson’s inventive and illuminating study of the peak oil movement is just the kind of scholarly intervention we need now to help us grapple fully with the social and political challenges we face. If his exploration of the practices and beliefs of the ‘Peakists’ is cause for worry, it isn’t because of how they view fossil fuels or its environmental impact. It’s in the largely individual response of peak oil advocates to what is of necessity a collective problem. This mainstreaming of a libertarian ethos in the United States and elsewhere—on both right and left—should ring alarm bells. As much an analysis of contemporary US political culture as it is about the politics of climate change, Peak Oil makes for a stellar addition to debates in which we all have a stake today.”
(Imre Szeman, University of Alberta)

“From Mad Max to Mad Men, this dead-on critique of long held beliefs about masculinity and traditions of American individualism and techno-optimism—all steadily becoming associated with a ‘shift towards libertarianism’—is by turns entertaining, insightful, and troubling. The book clearly outlines how these traditions and beliefs present daunting challenges to communities interested in organizing and implementing effective and timely responses to accelerating global climate change.”
(Joni Adamson, coeditor of American Studies, Ecocriticism, and Citizenship)

About the Author:
Matthew Schneider-Mayerson is assistant professor of social sciences (environmental studies) at Yale-NUS College, Singapore.

Should be an interesting read. Seems Schneider-Mayerson has been eaves-dropping on folks like us. From the synopsis:

"....showing how their hopes and fears about the postcarbon future led them to prepare for the social breakdown they foresee—all of which are fervently discussed and debated via websites, online forums, videos, and novels. By exploring the worldview of peakists, and the unexpected way that the fear of peak oil and climate change transformed many members of this left-leaning group into survivalists...."

Not so sure about the fear part; I don't fear much. Things are what they are, and fear is the mind-killer. Other than that, sounds about right. As for being 'transformed', as I said, it is what it is, and one either goes with it or adapts to reality. My reality has been that I, indeed, have drifted from being a slightly left-leaning centrist to more of an outsider-looking-in who hopes to have enough freedom to respond in small sensible ways; fly under the radar and make my own arrangements. "Libertarian"? Sounds a bit grandiose at this point. More of an anarchist-at-heart slipping between the cracks while meeting society's minimum requirements of participation. Not motivated by fear, but compelled by circumstantial progression. Seems like a logical response to the growing knowledge that industrial civilization can't/won't continue much longer in any form that looks like industrial civilization. Continuing to support failing systems, and voluntarily contributing to those failures, doesn't jive with my world view.

I suppose I could resent being dropped into such a massive historical conundrum, but it's better to see it as a challenge. Blind participation, or hand-wringing, are wasted energy and a helluva way to waste a life.

Anyway, my thanks to Ron for alerting folks to this book. I plan to download it soon for my reading pleasure.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: New Book: Peak Oil: Apocalyptic Environmentalism...

Unread postby Loki » Wed 21 Oct 2015, 22:14:04

Sounds interesting, in the highly unlikely event my tiny town's library gets it, I'll read it. The library of the last tiny town I lived in had a peak oil poster on the wall and multiple PO books---obviously a "peakist" on staff.

If his exploration of the practices and beliefs of the ‘Peakists’ is cause for worry, it isn’t because of how they view fossil fuels or its environmental impact. It’s in the largely individual response of peak oil advocates to what is of necessity a collective problem.

It may be "of necessity a collective problem," but the total absence of collective action on the fossil fuel problem necessitates individual action. Hopefully the author addresses this and it's not just a point and snicker look at those silly survivalists.

And it's peak oiler or doomer, not "peakist" :badgrin:
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Apneaman » Wed 21 Oct 2015, 23:23:40

This is the type of shit I have been predicting is just as likely to happen as anything. Apes is crazy mofo's. 7.4 billion apes and growing, so we could see many different types of coalitions forming and acting out from apocalyptic warrior Christians to eco revenge anarchists to pacifist tree hugging suicide cults. Apes is nuts. Anyone ever read about the flagellants during the black death? American Indian Ghost Dancing? Nutty monkeys.

Post-Insurrectionary Revengism

Thoughts regarding political philosophy in the age of human extinction

Reaction, not Resistance.

"I generally refuse to debate to which degree our collective future is set in stone. Placing hypothetical situations at the forefront of political thought seems foolish to me, as none of us are clairvoyant. Hypothetically, if all fossil fuels were left in the ground, and no more were burned as of tomorrow, we might have a chance of survival as a species. Hypothetically, a solar storm could knock the grid offline, saving the natural world from further extirpation. Hypothetically, the powerful could adopt humane policies to reduce human suffering during ecological and industrial collapse. We know, however, that these are sordid fantasies. They are sordid because they detract from real suffering being visited upon the natural world everyday, and the suffering of those humans to which the apocalypse is not a distant future event, or a clever metaphor. For many people, the end of the world has arrived, in all of it's painful indifference to life, love, and any sense of fairness or equality. To paraphrase Orwell, if you want a vision of the future, look at the Democratic Republic of Congo.
I've taken this to mean that our politics must necessarily be reaction based. There will be no better tomorrow, no salvation, no retribution or justice. There will be pain, a pain that we will not be able to alleviate, only react to in the interim, before our inevitable untimely deaths. For these reasons I consider political philosophies that seek to create a better world outdated, and I feel we are forced to adopt a reaction based politic.
Reactive politics do not have constraints, they do not adhere to a specific goal, they are unique to the individual, and are therefore indomitable. For each individual with a reactive politics, there is the potential for action. Reactive politics can not be defeated, for it has no desire to win, indeed, winning is seen as impossible, and abstract to the point of protecting civilization from it's enemies. Revolt, for the reactive individual, is for it's own sake. Reactive politics cannot be coopted, they exist only in the moment of action. When wild animals, and wild humans kill civilization's emissaries, they are engaging in reactive politics. The killing is not meant to culminate into a revolution, nor is it based in an ideology, but is a reaction to an immediate threat. Humans engage in reactive politics even when all hope is lost, as was the case during the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. They chose to die in their own terms, despite the knowledge that their deaths were certain. Over this century, as more and more communities come to see that hope is lost to head off climate change, reactivity will become a common form of radical politics, and the powerful will have much more to fear."

http://postinsurrectionaryrevengism.blogspot.ca/
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GHung » Wed 21 Oct 2015, 23:24:38

Loki said; "It may be "of necessity a collective problem," but the total absence of collective action on the fossil fuel problem necessitates individual action. "

Absolutely, and it isn't just peak oil. It's a systemic confluence of things; financial, environmental, societal... that will be heavily influenced by peak oil. Peak oil = peak everything, except for delusion and denial. Reading the comments, it seems the author may have compartmentalized peak oil as a standalone issue. Things don't work that way. It's clear that society as a collective is (will be) unprepared for, and unable to address the systemic nature of decline, making individual action, and responding as a small collectives, an imperative. Individual action and cooperation with others aren't mutually exclusive responses. Relying on society-at-scale is a poor bet. Top-down solutions are already failing.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GHung » Wed 21 Oct 2015, 23:42:29

"I consider political philosophies that seek to create a better world outdated, and I feel we are forced to adopt a reaction based politic.'

In a nutshell. Nothing but pretence on a mass scale. Then, again, those who think they can fix this clearly don't have a plan B. They're all in and fully invested. That's why they won't react well at all. It'll be kind of funny watching them adopt 'reaction-based politic' when they realize they have no other options. Indeed, it hasn't occurred to most that they are the reactionaries and the "peakists" are the proactives.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 04:17:03

"industrial civilization can't/won't continue much longer in any form that looks like industrial civilization. "

We'll all be dead of old age and industrialism Act I will still be ongoing.

Granted, Industrialism Act II is a mystery, ...

But this author is a nutcase.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GHung » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 08:56:58

SL said; "But this author is a nutcase."

Hey thickness, that was me, but thanks just the same.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 09:29:28

Ghung – Interesting…thanks. But: “In recent years, the concept of “peak oil”—the moment when global oil production peaks and a train of economic, social, and political catastrophes accompany its subsequent decline.” It’s a shame that he’s also apparently focused on that relatively unimportant date of global PO as many others have been. As far as anticipating those “future” accompanying declines: does he live in a cave with no media access? Does he not understand that, subject to where one lives, that apocalyptic world is currently crushing the life out of hundreds of thousands and displacing the lives of millions? Is he not aware of the apocalyptic pain that has been inflicted on so many for at least the last 25 years over the various resource wars? Does he really believe the US sacrificed thousands of our military and $trillions from our treasury to protect the US from weapons of mass destruction hidden in Iraq? IOW that that effort wasn’t part of the POD?

All I can assume is that he and his have a rather comfortable life and the future apocalypse he’s focused upon is a rather centric one for his ”world”.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Paulo1 » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:34:35

I actually participated in a survey for his book, so I plan to read it. I am sure many others on this site did so as well. (I said nothing Mad Max...honest!! :-D ) But like Ghung said: "fly under the radar and make my own arrangements", this is what I do. I just don't talk about any of this stuff except with my wife, or when someone says something really stupid about never running out of oil and then I occasionally speak out.

A year or so ago I was talking to a new arrival in our valley. He is a tireless worker striking committees, etc. I remarked to him that I thought our valley simply would never accept the transition plan he seemed to be embarked upon. He seemed surprised that 'I got it'; could see what he was doing/planning. I told him about my network ,that it wasn't formal but rather more neighbour helping neighbour and lending stuff as needed. (Of course he is in my group, even if he doesn't know it. Like I said, there is nothing formal) My own belief is that we are mostly too independent, and that is why we choose to live here. Also, we are somewhat redneck and distrustful of 'authorities'. But having said that, I have realized that this past year has seen a new type of resident moving in, mostly for the cheaper land prices, but smugly believing they are 'gentrifying' the Valley. hmmmmm. It is really, condescending. They seem to have no idea what 'locals' are capable of doing and what they stand for. Needless to say they will either have to change their views, or forever be outsiders and forced to hire any help they might need.

I hope the author will be able to stay teaching at university, at least for his sake. I don't think he would be much help cleaning fish or putting in the garden.

regards
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby GHung » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:38:55

Yeah, Rock, it's easy to spot those who only have an abstract idea of what a society in decline looks like, unaware of how systemic it is; affects everything, which affects everything else. They've never been to or worked in places like Western Africa or Somalia, never lived like many of the poor do in the US. They clearly have no clue as to how spoiled westerners are, especially those with means, and how ill-prepared they are for even a moderate decline. They haven't done the math of showing the fine line between abundance and chaotic shortages. They can't understand that the people they are analysing will be far better adapted to world with less of everything.

Most glaring is that the author delves into the psychology of those they call "peakists" without taking a look at their own preconceptions and biases (I assume from the comments, since I haven't read the book). That's the problem I have with the uninitiated. They don't realize that they view the world from bubbles and ivory towers; a complete lack of context.

My brother used to think I was crazy until he went on a series of church missions to help the poor in Haiti and Guatemala, and I have a sister who spent a couple of months in India and returned a changed westerner, suffering from a severe case of cognitive dissonance.

This ain't no party, and a book about peakists certainly won't fix anyone's world view. I hold to my outlier status with a quiet sense of purpose and don't need anyone's approval. Stereotypical commentaries won't ever change that, but POD will change these peoples' lives in some pretty unpleasant ways, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. Best to make my own arrangements.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:47:01

Ghung - reminds of an old joke. The short version about 3 men stranded on an island with nothing but a case of canned beans and nothing to open them with. The physicist solution of heating can in a fire until it explodes isn't a good idea. The chemist idea of a soaking can in sea water until corrosion ruptures the it isn't a good idea either. But the economist has the perfect solution: “First, we get a can opener…”

I suspect this fellow has various assumptions on how we should handle matters when TSHTF: “First, we put those assumed solutions into effect.” LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 14:07:27

I started to read it and have read the preface. I don't like being studied like the Yanomano. It seems like he is subtly making fun of us and studying us like some kind of cult. It is really unsettling, but I'm going to keep reading!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 20:16:35

Absolutely, and it isn't just peak oil. It's a systemic confluence of things; financial, environmental, societal... that will be heavily influenced by peak oil. Peak oil = peak everything, except for delusion and denial. Reading the comments, it seems the author may have compartmentalized peak oil as a standalone issue. Things don't work that way. It's clear that society as a collective is (will be) unprepared for, and unable to address the systemic nature of decline, making individual action, and responding as a small collectives, an imperative. Individual action and cooperation with others aren't mutually exclusive responses. Relying on society-at-scale is a poor bet. Top-down solutions are already failing.

I have not heard it said better Ghung. Truly society and the world at large have failed to make any substantial preparations to meet the myriad of disruptions and challenges it will face. So it truly is up to individuals and preferable resilient communities. I had heard of a transition movement though I am not aware of any around the NY area. I remember also Michael Ruppert - RIP, had a Collapse Network in which their was an area on that site in which people and communities could connect and interact. Anyway, I for one plan to being an integral part of some community as I think both extremes total individuality or relying on Big Brother are losing strategies.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 21:18:56

I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that if the individual or collective solutions look like they are working too well, the gov will be in to re-distribute the results. To me it looks like almost all paths through the minefield end up with lots of violence involved.
Like when the serfs had to keep one pig tethered out in the woods somewhere, because the king's tax collectors wouldn't leave them enough to survive on.
Going to be very interesting.
I always wonder what the authors of these books are doing in the way of prepping, or if they even come away with any of their original ideas changed after researching the book.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 21:32:29

I'm through chapter three. An interesting though slightly uncomfortable read.

He almost lost me in the introduction, when he defined Peak Oil as the point when half the oil was used up. But I continued reading, and his treatise got better. I almost think his editor may have changed his original definition, because later he says "Peakers" are really more about Peak Everything plus climate change.

His main worry though is, "Peakers" become more libertarian, and less likely to join organized movements. Personally I don't see a problem with this.

He profiles peakers as primarily; well educated, liberal, middle aged white guys. Most keep their peak oil views to themselves after being rebuked by the general population. Most do not believe the government will be able to sole the problems coming.

Although, I am not agreeing with everything he writes, it is certainly worth the read so far. Lots of footnotes and research have gone into this work. With the exception of being a liberal, I certainly fit the rest of his profile.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 21:54:21

Interesting the profile of the typical peakoiler. Well educated makes sense, middle age as well. Now why white and not other ethnic and racial persons well maybe because the other types are too busy trying to catch up too whites in terms of income and education, so they are not worrying or thinking about esoteric subjects like peak oil. As for liberal well that would sort of make sense in that supposedly liberals and more interested in environmental issues which could relate to peak oil. Though a conservative who is educated and has an open mind could arrive at the conclusion of the seriousness of peak oil thus you Care fit the profile
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 22:10:03

The deadbeats from the universities don't even know what to work on because the only alternative on the table for the past 50 years, fusion and hydrogen generation, are pipedreams.

Here is a UK government twit going on and on about Peak Oil.

http://www.softmachines.org/wordpress/?p=1750#respond

Productivity...blah blah...innovation...blah blah...productivity...blah blah...innovation...

Two buzz words...productivity and innovation. How can you take people like that seriously? Solar cells, batteries, and wind turbines were invented a million years ago and they can't even power a remote island in the tropics.

Of course, I told this Richard Jones moron that already and he banned me. What good is innovation in that liberal shithole called the UK? The chinese have economies of scale, allow ecological destruction, and subsidize until the competition is gone, and the UK just wasted a lot of funds. Thats what happened with gErmany and their lead in solar manufacturing.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Loki » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 01:23:24

Paulo1 wrote:I actually participated in a survey for his book, so I plan to read it. I am sure many others on this site did so as well.

Interesting. How did he contact you? Through PO.com?

I hope the author will be able to stay teaching at university, at least for his sake. I don't think he would be much help cleaning fish or putting in the garden.

That goes without saying for 90%+ of academics, in my experience at least. Most have basically spent their entire life in educational bureaucracies, very little real world experience.

I was on an academic path, more than halfway through my doctoral dissertation before I become utterly disillusioned with academia. Dropped out, spent 5 years farming, another few years doing various sundry other horticultural work. Might be ready to help put in a garden by now. lol
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 08:14:05

I was annoyed by his characterization of us as a group, but then got to thinking about it. It is interesting that most "Peakists" have never met another peak oiler in person, or met 1 or 2. It is a little like a millenarian movement, but all over the internet. I guess we are all talking to each other on the computer. We are reading similar media, like James Howard Kunstler. I guess it's kind of flattering being actually recognized as a movement, albeit a movement of loners...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 09:18:16

I wonder if Schneider-Mayerson is lurking around the sites he's been studying now that the book is out. Maybe peakoil.com is too obscure, or maybe he's afraid he'll affect the experiment. Then again, maybe he's too chicken to weigh in 8O
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews