Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Admins please read

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Admins please read

Unread postby KJisAnnoyed » Thu 21 May 2015, 04:05:48

This is KaiserJeep. I have been unable to use my user name and account since attempting to change my E-Mail address.

It changed, alright - from redacted , to redacted , which is a real and working account I have been using on my android tablet for two years. However I did not get the activation message that confirmed the new E-mail address as valid. Two attempts to use the "Resend Activation E-Mail" did not work either. I can no longer log on because my account was "inactivated" until the "Activation E-Mail" is responded to.

Note that the same process completed successfully at two other online Forums and several shopping web sites. Only PO.com fails.

So I registered a new user "KJisAnnoyed" using my old work e-mail redacted which did work. However since that represents a new user, I cannot use the PM function to talk to a Moderator or Admin. Nor will the hp.com e-mail be usable by me past my retirement date of May 31.

Pretty neat Catch-22 you have set up. Would somebody please reactivate my old account so I can use it?
KJisAnnoyed
Wood
Wood

Re: Admins please read

Unread postby davep » Thu 21 May 2015, 07:27:16

Your KaiserJeep account should be active now.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 21 May 2015, 07:38:11

Thank you, sir. Any idea what went wrong? Perhaps we could avoid others having the same problem.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Thu 21 May 2015, 13:02:26

KaiserJeep wrote:Thank you, sir. Any idea what went wrong? Perhaps we could avoid others having the same problem.

I've notified admin in case there's a problem with email delivery.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby MD » Thu 21 May 2015, 14:34:38

If you wish to change your email address, make sure both old and new addresses are active, then change your email address in your profile -without- asking for a new activation.

That's the way it worked in the past, and no I didn't go run a test to verify my memory.

I haven't done it in a few years, so "always step quietly into the water... mustn't disturb the gators..."
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 21 May 2015, 14:47:03

Nope, you don't have a choice - once you save the changes, your account is deactivated, until the activation E-Mail confirms that your new E-Mail account is real.

I found the account activation messages in my SPAM folder, finally - there is something about the format of the PO.com activation message that triggers the Android Gmail app's SPAM filter - with all the default filter settings. Two other Forums I participate in use very similar software, but did not trigger the Gmail SPAM filter, using the same account name. Likewise I changed all my NetFlix, Amazon, etc. online shopping account E-Mail account names without a hitch.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Thu 21 May 2015, 16:20:16

Note to admin, it's obviously not a problem with email delivery. And it's not a problem with blacklisting http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3apeakoil.com&run=toolpage. I guess google just decided it didn't like it.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Synapsid » Thu 21 May 2015, 16:58:34

Admin'ers,

Since I have your attention:

I check about twenty sites every day, using Safari. Safari works fine on all the others but generally will lock up when trying to read this site--a window opens that says that websites are not responding and I have to click on Force Reload to load the site. That works until I try to click on something on the site or move the slide cursor, then I get the lockup again.

I used to think that I'd have to wait until the site (read: advertisements) had loaded fully before trying to do anything but even that turns out not to be the case.

This is fairly new. Any suggestions?
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby davep » Thu 21 May 2015, 17:39:08

Synapsid wrote:Admin'ers,

Since I have your attention:

I check about twenty sites every day, using Safari. Safari works fine on all the others but generally will lock up when trying to read this site--a window opens that says that websites are not responding and I have to click on Force Reload to load the site. That works until I try to click on something on the site or move the slide cursor, then I get the lockup again.

I used to think that I'd have to wait until the site (read: advertisements) had loaded fully before trying to do anything but even that turns out not to be the case.

This is fairly new. Any suggestions?

No idea, personally. I use Firefox with a host of addons (Disconnect, HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript [javascript allowed], BetterPrivacy, Privacy Badger and uBlock) and have no problems.

You might be able to find an ad blocker in here https://extensions.apple.com/?category=security (it doesn't display properly for me, probably due to the above addons or the fact I disable cookies by default).

Edit: Try this if you have Safari 6 or higher https://adblockplus.org/category/adblock-plus-safari/
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Technical Support