Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Welcome - Nav Help

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Welcome - Nav Help

Unread postby Pops » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 19:00:47

Hello all, just a quick course on how to get around.

PO.com is in effect 2 sites;
The "home " page is what you land on when you type "peakoil.com" into the address bar of your browser or click on "Peak Oil News" link in the menu sidebar. The home page is like a blog where the staff collects relevant stories and gives a short preview, you can click on a story headline and go to a page containing the entire story. You can type a comment on the story page if the feeling moves you and we urge you to do so.

The other "site" contains the forums.
You can get there by clicking the "PO Forums" link in the menu sidebar, which takes you to an index of the several subforums where you can choose a specific subforum to peruse or post a new topic.

Or you can click on the Forum Post Guest View or Member View (again in the menu sidebar). Depending on whether you are registered or a guest, these return a list of the latest posts in all the various threads - registered members have access to more subforums, archived threads, etc. There is no cost to register and it not only gives you access to all the forums, but it also allows the software to remember you. That way it knows what posts you have read and can show you only the posts you have yet to read.

The Forum Posts Member View is the one I have bookmarked, it show all the latest posts and which ones I haven't read – everything the "guest" view does plus all the members only forums as well. When it's time to start a new thread, I use the PO Forums link to get to the forum index in order choose which subforum I want my thread to appear in. I click on that forum and then the New Topic button and start pontificating!

A couple of other details, you can upload an image file directly from your computer using the Upload attachment tab below the compose window when posting or by using the [img] button and your static connection or an image server like tinypic or imageshack.

If I've made you more confused than you were before just click Post Reply and ask.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Welcome - Nav Help

Unread postby EileenBlankenship » Thu 22 Jan 2015, 02:57:21

Hello , Hoping to see some positive feedback from here.
EileenBlankenship
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Hiruit Nguyse » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 22:55:18

I cant find the new topic button, how do you start a topic?
Hiruit Nguyse
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 26 Apr 2015, 16:22:21

Hiruit Nguyse wrote:I cant find the new topic button, how do you start a topic?

Click on the forum name most appropriate for the topic you wish to post, when the forum you click on opens in your browser the button NEW TOPIC will appear right under the name of the forum at the top of the page. Click that button and enter your topic title, then go down to the text box and type your message or cut and paste it in from another text program.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby LoboTX » Tue 16 Feb 2016, 11:53:00

Nav Help seems appropriate for my question......how do I get PM privileges. My profile indicates I haven't been "active" enough. As I'm mostly a reader and seldom a poster I guess that's true, but Rockman suggested I PM him but am unable to do so.
Can one of you mods help me out ?
Thanks !
LoboTX
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dcoyne78 » Wed 25 Nov 2020, 18:01:10

Hi,

I used to be able to upload attachments, mostly charts, but now it does not work. I tried resetting cookies, it did not help.
dcoyne78
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 26 Nov 2020, 12:31:47

Yea that is an unresolved problem. I am sorry, for that.

Have a work around but no fix.

My workaround is to convert to an image file such as .jpg. I frequently take a screen shot.

Then use some image hosting site, I use imgbox.com, to create a a link. Create the image and then simply copy/paste the BBC code to my post.

Frankly it works quite well, no more complicated than the site tool, maybe easier.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

I am working on a iPhone.

I open imgbox

https://imgbox.com/

Select UPLOAD IMAGES
Then I can select PHOTO LIBRARY or TAKE IMAGE
So I select PHOTO LIBRARY and select my saved image and hot ADD, which brings me here.

For TYPE select FAMILY SAFE
For THUMBNAIL I Select 500x500 resized
Then scroll down and select UPLOAD IMAGES (you can do more than one at a time)

Then select the content in the 3rd box - BB Code and paste it here.

And thats what I just did here to insert these images.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dcoyne78 » Fri 27 Nov 2020, 15:34:31

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Other image sites

https://imgbb.com/

and

https://imgur.com/

Use BBC code at sites and paste at peakoil in comment.
dcoyne78
Coal
Coal

Return to Welcome