Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How Much Time Do Americans Spend Plugged Into The Matrix

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

How Much Time Do Americans Spend Plugged Into The Matrix

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 10:24:48

Interesting article about how often Americans are tuned into media outlets: Makes me think how that makes us all vulnerable to those peddling erroneous, misleading or otherwise inane nonsense. If a person wishes to be entertained that is okay, but in terms of valuable information of any kind, the onus is on each of us to be very discerning as to what to access and what to believe. here in link:
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... -every-day
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: How Much Time Do Americans Spend Plugged Into The Matrix

Unread postby GHung » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 10:59:04

I recommend the 'Real Housewives' shows. Highly rated and informative, as in how screwed we are.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 11:15:08

Same could be said about the Kardashians :lol: :lol:
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Timo » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 17:22:00

GHung wrote:I recommend the 'Real Housewives' shows. Highly rated and informative, as in how screwed we are.

I recommend Dual Survival! They have some great stuff on that show, including poisonous snakes and armadillos. Best of all, it's all REAL!!!! [smilie=5propeller.gif]
Timo

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 22:13:45

You know... I know that this steak is not real, but that does not change how juicy and delicious it is.

The Matrix is good. With the matrix, you need only a small apartment, a comfortable chair, a VR neuronet headset, 2000kcal of fortified corn syrup, and a sleeping mat to go anywhere, do anything, and interact with anyone.

Don't knock it till you think about it; the Matrix will let us turn some 10 billion ravenous, high energy consumption predators into a benevolent, non-reproducing, low impact computing cluster.

Resistance is futile. You *WILL* be assimilated.
:-D
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 23:22:47

AgentR11 wrote:The Matrix is good. With the matrix, you need only a small apartment, a comfortable chair, a VR neuronet headset, 2000kcal of fortified corn syrup, and a sleeping mat to go anywhere, do anything, and interact with anyone.

An excellent point.

In John Scalzi's recent Novel, "Lock In" (plus the prequel novella and surrounding discussion) you get the same concept from a different direction. Robots that could be directed from someone's brain to be their body. One interesting concept was that some of these people preferred to just use a virtual reality matrix that evolved as a side effect of the robotics software.

Either way, if you were a dying or just old and sickly, and could choose between constant suffering and putting a burden on loved ones and friends, or living a pain-free active life in another reality -- it's not hard to guess which would have FAR higher demand.

Technology might point this way, as long as the resources to support it hold out.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 05 Apr 2015, 09:40:13

Matrix analogy is good.

Frequently walking (or driving) down the street looking at how folks use their cell phones I think "Borg"!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Timo » Sun 05 Apr 2015, 10:14:50

Newfie wrote:Matrix analogy is good.

Frequently walking (or driving) down the street looking at how folks use their cell phones I think "Borg"!

That analysis is quite logical.
Timo

Return to North America Discussion