Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Oil Is Coming -- and Why You Should Love It

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Peak Oil Is Coming -- and Why You Should Love It

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 17:01:44

Read this article.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/A- ... ation.html

I don't think peak oil is a good thing by any means.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 21:11:14

DesuMaiden wrote:Read this article.

From the article:
An analogy can be drawn with the growth of bacteria, which, so long as there is sufficient food available, follows a "sigmoid curve". There is an initial growth in population which multiplies rapidly (the rising upper of the sigmoid), and then levels off abruptly when the food supply becomes restricted relative to the new, far larger population. Then they begin to eat each other instead, and the number of bacteria remaining alive plummets.

I think this is overly simplistic. The assumption is food, energy or "inputs" are unlimited and the claim under this assumption is population will increase to the point where cannibalism occurs. But, it's also possible that environment becomes too toxic from waste products to support the life. Unless the assumption in addition to limitless inputs is that waste is somehow infinitely mitigated or removed. That seems highly unrealistic.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 01:28:49

dinopello wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:Read this article.

From the article:
An analogy can be drawn with the growth of bacteria, which, so long as there is sufficient food available, follows a "sigmoid curve". There is an initial growth in population which multiplies rapidly (the rising upper of the sigmoid), and then levels off abruptly when the food supply becomes restricted relative to the new, far larger population. Then they begin to eat each other instead, and the number of bacteria remaining alive plummets.

I think this is overly simplistic. The assumption is food, energy or "inputs" are unlimited and the claim under this assumption is population will increase to the point where cannibalism occurs. But, it's also possible that environment becomes too toxic from waste products to support the life. Unless the assumption in addition to limitless inputs is that waste is somehow infinitely mitigated or removed. That seems highly unrealistic.

You are right. Over population is not only accompanied by over-consumption but also a ton of pollution. Currently the overpopulation of man kind has resulted in massive amounts of pollution. This pollution is rendering otherwise useable land and water unusable.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

How to Thrive When the World’s Falling Apart

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 14:13:21

: A Tiny Seven Step Program for Happiness, Beauty, Truth, and Love
"I see a lot of people telling us the world is crashing and burning but very little advice for little people able to plan for the future. Help!!” I get emails. And sometimes I even write essays about them. So. How is one to survive all this — these tumultuous, anxiety-inducing times? I’m going to take you through a seven step self-help program, from tiny to big, shallow to deep, and then we’ll discuss the thinking behind it. Nourish your relationships. That friend you haven’t called in a decade? That cousin you never talk to? Call them, email them, message them. Build up your social networks — not cynically as we do now, things to preen before. But instead, in the traditional sense: networks of people who look out for each other, support each other, care for one another. Not only will it bring you strength,

How to Thrive When the World’s Falling Apart
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 15:44:37

Carolyn Baker, notorious for being a close friend of Mike Ruppert, who committed suicide, is going to school us on how to think happy thoughts.

Shiny happy people holding haaaaands.
[space to store bad short-term prediction currently vacant]
asg70
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion