Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 8

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: From out of the blue...

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 22 Oct 2014, 23:21:22

Milret2 wrote:Welcome back, I am one of the ones who has missed your writings.

I have a few more to share....

MQ
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Thu 23 Oct 2014, 05:51:40

MonteQuest wrote:Like me to drop in and stir up the place a bit?

Plenty of straw men to burn, still.

Enjoy!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby basil_hayden » Thu 23 Oct 2014, 07:52:32

Good to hear from you MQ. Most folks still don't get it, and there's no saving them even if they did get it.

What's important is passing on what's been learned to those who do get it.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 23 Oct 2014, 08:09:16

MQ, this state's not big enough for the both of us!

(I'm moving out to the desert (NorCal is close nowadays) just as you're moving from it, LOL)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 23 Oct 2014, 09:37:31

PeakOiler wrote:Welcome back, MonteQuest!

What careinke said, a few pics of the homestead would be cool.

Watch for a thread in planning for the future on MonteQuest's Earth Sheltered Home
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby cualcrees » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 01:11:48

It's great to see you back! Saludos desde Mexico!
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
- Edward Abbey
cualcrees
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 02:13:49

Where is ReverseEngineer, you both went quiet not long after I joined... Nice to see you Monte!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:55:30

SeaGypsy wrote:Where is ReverseEngineer, you both went quiet not long after I joined... Nice to see you Monte!

Thanks! Really surprised so many posters from the old days are still here.

Monte:)
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Howdy from Oklahoma USA

Unread postby 2oldskool » Thu 30 Oct 2014, 07:41:39

:) Nice site
2oldskool
Wood
Wood

Re: Howdy from Oklahoma USA

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 30 Oct 2014, 14:40:45

Howdy from Texas. And a very accepting folks here. They'll even welcome folks from north of the Red River. And you know what they are like. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Re: hello

Unread postby septicdrainer2t4 » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 08:06:10

Hello everyone, I have just started using this forum.
septicdrainer2t4
Wood
Wood

Unread postby sparky » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 07:24:17

Hi , welcome on board ,
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 07 Jan 2015, 08:42:39

All right...fresh meat! Hmm...I meant new fellow travelers. To all the newbies out there just drop a line showing you're listening. And by all means feel free to jump into conversations. Us old farts that have been here so long were starting go finish each others posts. Be great to have neq questions, opinions, insights, etc.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Re: Immigrants from TOD

Unread postby Nubs » Fri 30 Jan 2015, 15:54:59

Not sure if I found the bread crumbs, but I'm here. Probably won't do much posting.

One thing that has stuck in my mind since the final months of TOD was the strong correlation between the contributors' ages and where they stood on the scale of pessimism/optimism, fatalism/we-can-do-something, or perhaps more specifically the "there's-nothing-that-can-be-done-so-let's-just-enjoy-the-ride-while-we-can" / "we-need-to-get-our-act-together-and-do-something-to-fix-the-global-problems-that-we-face.

Just a thought.

-Nubs
Nubs
Wood
Wood

Unread postby careinke » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 00:02:29

Nubs wrote:Not sure if I found the bread crumbs, but I'm here. Probably won't do much posting.

One thing that has stuck in my mind since the final months of TOD was the strong correlation between the contributors' ages and where they stood on the scale of pessimism/optimism, fatalism/we-can-do-something, or perhaps more specifically the "there's-nothing-that-can-be-done-so-let's-just-enjoy-the-ride-while-we-can" / "we-need-to-get-our-act-together-and-do-something-to-fix-the-global-problems-that-we-face.

Just a thought.

-Nubs

Could you please elaborate on your observations? Which age groups gravitated towards which positions. Thanks.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Nubs » Sun 08 Feb 2015, 15:20:01

It was the younger folks who were the fatalists.

Game theory says that it is very difficult to escape the tragedy of the commons (race to the bottom, prisoner's dilemma or whatever else one calls it), so maybe those younger folks are just accepting a reality that we older people choose to ignore. I take a little comfort in knowing that humans are able, in some situations, to organize cooperative social structures that can get around the tragedy of the commons, but it is hard to imagine how to do this on a global scale, as we would need to tackle the global tragedy of the commons.

This leaves me grasping for the remaining hope that, when the dust settles, it will turn out that the payoff matrix for some of these dilemmas does not really lead to a tragedy of the commons situation. For example, it might turn out that the cost of extracting the energy contained in the remaining buried hydrocarbons is too great compared to carbon-neutral resources, so economics will save the day, in some cases, perhaps, maybe.

Still, it is hard to deny that people have the urge to reproduce, and without the kind of draconian measures that China undertook (and for which it was vilified) the global population will grow until global population carrying capacity is again reached. I say "again", because during nearly all of history the human population was presumably at the maximum that could be sustained given the level of technology available. Technological advances fueled by the exploitation of fossil energy stores have led to a rapid increase in population (http://www.resilience.org/stories/2009-04-20/peak-people-interrelationship-between-population-growth-and-energy-resources), but unless we continue to find new energy sources we soon will be back at the population carrying capacity, and the hand to mouth existence that comes with it.

It this necessarily so bad, given that our ancestors mostly led this type of existence? It ain't the way I want my children to live but, hey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5GOH2CO1k

One worrisome thing is that our technology now provides the opportunity to do more widespread and long-term damage to the planet than was previously possible. To make matters worse, some of the global damage that we inflict takes a very long time to manifest itself, which, as any engineer who designs feedback systems knows, typically leads to instability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_margin). Perhaps we have already greatly overshot the steady-state carrying capacity ...

And speaking of steady-state, how can it be that mainstream economic theory is based upon the assumption of perpetual growth? Isn't the absurdity of this assumption self-evident? http://steadystate.org/discover/definition/

It's starting to look like I'm just another fatalist gloom-and-doomer. Well, they say that 60 is the new 30 (or something like that), so I think I'll just kick back and enjoy the ride. Yeeeeee haaaa!! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/dogs-in-cars_n_5611379.html
Nubs
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pops » Sun 08 Feb 2015, 15:33:17

Nubs wrote:It's starting to look like I'm just another fatalist gloom-and-doomer. Well, they say that 60 is the new 30 (or something like that),

Hi Nub, at least that's better that 30 is the new 60!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby PSantos » Sat 21 Feb 2015, 13:19:45

Hello everyone, almost graduated here looking for a challenging position within the offshore industry.
PSantos
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 21 Feb 2015, 15:05:34

P - What degree?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PSantos » Sat 21 Feb 2015, 15:50:04

MSc in Civil Engineering with a specialization in Geotechnical Engineering.
PSantos
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome