Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Terra Preta: "Black Earth" Biochar

Re: Waterless solar concentrating toilet turns waste to bioc

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 22 Mar 2014, 21:44:38

I'm not saying the people in this organization aren't all smart folks. But the purpose of this organization is clearly the promotion of this technology. It doesn't mean that you ignore what they say. Just don't take their views as the last word on the subject.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 22 Mar 2014, 22:05:54

Yes it's possible that the IBI has some bias or even conservative views just like the IEA or the IPPC. Where else do laypeople go to seek trustworthy advice? If you want to submit contrary views or literature, why don't you do so. I trust the views of the IBI, and I've backed these up with peer-reviewed studies published in literature just like the one above or these recent reviews:

Chapter 2 – A Review of Biochar and Its Use and Function in Soil

Abstract
Agricultural activities and soils release greenhouse gases, and additional emissions occur in the conversion of land from other uses. Unlike natural lands, active management offers the possibility to increase terrestrial stores of carbon in various forms in soil. The potential to sequester carbon as thermally stabilized (charred) biomass using existing organic resource is estimated to be at least 1 Gt yr− 1 and “biochar,” defined by its useful application to soil, is expected to provide a benefit from enduring physical and chemical properties. Studies of charcoal tend to suggest stability in the order of 1000 years in the natural environment, and various analytical techniques inform quantification and an understanding of turnover processes. Other types of biochar, such as those produced under zero-oxygen conditions have been studied less, but costs associated with logistics and opportunity costs from diversion from energy or an active form in soil demand certainty and predictability of the agronomic return, especially until eligibility for carbon credits has been established. The mechanisms of biochar function in soil, which appear to be sensitive to the conditions prevailing during its formation or manufacture, are also affected by the material from which it is produced. Proposed mechanisms and some experimental evidence point to added environmental function in the mitigation of diffuse pollution and emissions of trace gases from soil; precluding the possibility of contaminants accumulating in soil from the incorporation of biochar is important to ensure safety and regulatory compliance.

sciencedirect

Review of the stability of biochar in soils: predictability of O:C molar ratios

Biochar is not a structured homogeneous material; rather it possesses a range of chemical structures and a heterogeneous elemental composition. This variability is based on the conditions of pyrolysis and the biomass parent material, with biochar spanning the range of various forms of black carbon. Thereby, this variability induces a broad spectrum in the observed rates of reactivity and, correspondingly, the overall chemical and microbial stability. From evaluating the current biochar and black carbon degradation studies, there is the suggestion of an overall relationship in biochar stability as a function of the molar ratio of oxygen to carbon (O:C) in the resulting black carbon. In general, a molar ratio of O:C lower than 0.2 appears to provide, at minimum, a 1000-year biochar half-life. The O:C ratio is a function of production temperature, but also accounts for other impacts (e.g., parent material and post-production conditioning/oxidation) that are not captured solely with production temperature. Therefore, the O:C ratio could provide a more robust indicator of biochar stability than production parameters (e.g., pyrolysis temperature and biomass type) or volatile matter determinations.

future-science

I believe that use of biochar to increase soil fertility and to capture atmospheric carbon has merit provided biochar is made under appropriate conditions.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 23 Mar 2014, 06:25:40

The most interesting to bout biochar to me is its incredible stability. The scientifically tested soils in the amazon rain forest have been dated to be as much as 2400 years old in their char material. If that doesn'tshow biochar is a viable sequestration avenue I don't know what would.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 23 Mar 2014, 21:36:28

pstarr wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:The most interesting to bout biochar to me is its incredible stability. The scientifically tested soils in the amazon rain forest have been dated to be as much as 2400 years old in their char material. If that doesn'tshow biochar is a viable sequestration avenue I don't know what would.
Why are you surprised that it is stable, it is pure carbon. Coal doesn't disappear and if you buried an old-timey pencil in the ground I'll bet the graphite 'lead' would outlive the wood. The problem with any sequestration solution, biochar or burial, is the energy required to build, operate, and maintain the system. In this case the energy (and emissions) cost of manufacturing quartz glass, fiber optics, and reflective panels for each and every shitter in the world (1 billion?) would certainly outweigh the benefits of the miniscule amount of fart-gas contained.

The 'lead' is actually ground graphite pressed together with very fine clay so it will wear off onto the paper easily. That being the case if you go pound a bunch of pencils into your yard as a soil amendment the wood will eventually rot and the 'lead' will dissolve into graphite particles in the soil.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Terra Preta: "Black Earth"

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 27 Oct 2014, 09:05:13

RFP, one of the Biochar groups I belong too is trying to organize a 2015 conference and is looking for suggestions.

We are looking for a self-organized group, with a demonstrated interest in biochar and at least 5 members, located anywhere in the North America, to host USBI's 2015 North American Conference.

This is a request for a preliminary proposal only. If selected for the final round, a more detailed proposal will be requested. The selected group will be the primary organizers of the Conference in late summer or early fall 2015 – but other dates may be considered. The location can be anywhere in North America (although travel costs will be a consideration).

Serious enquirers contact [email protected]
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Terra Preta: "Black Earth"

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 02:34:41

Ive been using bio char for many years on a very small scale just gifted charcoal from friends and neighbours and remains of my fires.
I will build a wood fired pizza oven partially to increase my charcoal supply.
I need to lock up nutrients during the wet season and retain moisture during the dry,it seems to work well.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Terra Preta Soils to Save the Biosphere

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 06:22:45

Scientific study of biochar in both greenhouse and field trials.

https://youtu.be/crdqVd9vmAc
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Terra Preta: "Black Earth" Biochar

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 14 Feb 2023, 02:13:50

Fascinating study on how biochar helps keep nitrogen based fertilizer in the soil instead of leaching away during the water cycle as happens all to often.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0921001560
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate