Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Walking Thread

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

The Walking Thread

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 23:45:05

How could we not have a Walking Thread - have I missed it somehow?
CBC.ca radio peice on walking:
Walking, a Pedestrian Pursuit (01:24:44)

- Walking in Paris with John Baxter, author of The Most Beautiful Walk in the World, (1:26:50)

- Daniel Lieberman, one of the world's foremost experts on how - and why - we humans walk on two legs. (1:34:31)

- An essay by Jane Farrow, co-author of one of the first studies in North America of the walkability of inner-suburban high-rise neighbourhoods.(2:00:11)

- A conversation about walking as a way of life with; Wayne Curtis, a contributing editor to The Atlantic Magazine and the author of a forthcoming history of walking in America; best-selling author Alexandra Horowitz, a psychologist and animal behaviourist, whose latest book is On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes; and Toronto architect and urban designer Ken Greenberg, a passionate advocate of walkability, and the author of Walking Home. (2:05:09)

- An essay by Robert MacFarlane, author of The Old Ways, about walking in the steps of, and among the ghosts of, our ancestors.(2:33:23)
Mentions that young people can't afford cars and seek walkable places.
You have to download the MP3 "podcast":
http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/podcasts/sund ... _36518.mp3
and go to 1:25

(skipping the first 1 1/2 hrs):
Michael's Essay: In U.S. gun control debate, angry rhetoric drowns out fact (00:00:25)
Temple Grandin on her book, The Autistic Brain (00:04:55)
Essay: My First Violence, by Ralph Bongard (00:29:02)
Documentary: Be There for Me. For women with limited resources a cancer diagnosis presents unimaginable difficulties. An agency called The Nanny Angel Network aims to provide a bit of relief - a weekly block of free childcare for mothers with cancer. Documentary by Alisa Siegel (00:36:28)
Author Edward Rutherfurd on his new book, Paris (01:04:11)
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Walking Thread

Unread postby WildRose » Mon 10 Jun 2013, 00:18:48

Near and dear to my heart. One of the most important rituals of my life has been walking.

What I've experienced through incalculable miles of walking:

Good exercise.
"Walk-and-talks" with my hubby, children and good friends.
Quiet adventures with my canine friends.
Escaping to be surrounded by nature and its limitless discoveries.
Exploring new cities and towns.
Starry skies, clouds, sunsets and sunrises, rain and snow.

Someday I'll write a book!
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EdwinSm » Mon 10 Jun 2013, 01:37:14

I was once in a conversation with a friend who proudly told me she cycled to work - I responded that I walked to work which impressed her greatly for a second or two until she remembered I work at home and my office is only about two metres from my bedroom :roll:

On a more sensible note. One shock in moving from a poor suburb (with high rise flats) to a rural community was that none of the children were overweight - in part I put this down to the fact that most of the children either walk or cycle to the school or to see their friends.
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tarrel » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 15:43:18

I would encourage anyone who is physically able, to attempt a long distance backpacking trip at least once.

It takes a few days for the mind and body to get tuned in but, once you are past this initial discomfort, there is a certain release in the simplicity of walking every day, with everything you need on your back.

Making camp, preparing food, finding your route and just "being" in the environment become the only things.

A couple of years ago I did Scotland coast-to-coast (across the wide bit - about 180 miles). I remember one day, out of the blue, feeling a surge of emotion. I just blubbed, walking along with tears streaming down my face. No idea why, and it never happened again. But I felt great afterwards!
See our blogs:
www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
www.sustainablescottishwoodland.blogspot.co.uk
Tarrel
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 21:26:27

I hiked around Scotland for my honeymoon. It was beautiful.

We do a 5 day trip - used to be every year, now maybe once every few years. About 10 mile a day. It does heal your ills. When I'm at home gathering all my gear, my back is aching and head hurting but after the first day of hiking, I feel great.

The kids were out en masse for bike/walk to school day today.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tarrel » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 18:49:39

pstarr wrote:Nice blog, Tarrel. Get any hits yet?

Thanks. I tend to get the hits when I post. But I don't post consistently enough. I need a post-it note on the PC screen, saying "Post it" to remind me!
See our blogs:
www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
www.sustainablescottishwoodland.blogspot.co.uk
Tarrel
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 10 Oct 2013, 18:59:44

On average, me and the pooch do approx 30 miles a week Nordic hiking. I big day is about 3 hours and 8 to 10 miles, depending on terrain. Walk of life, mental and physical.
vision-master

Return to Conservation & Efficiency