Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Improving the Efficiency of Your Home Comfort System

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Improving the Efficiency of Your Home Comfort System

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 18 Apr 2013, 19:43:18

Go Green and Save Some Too By Improving the Efficiency of Your Home Comfort System

This Earth Day, homeowners can help save the environment and their finances by ensuring the proper installation and service of their home comfort systems.

It is estimated that nearly half of all heating and cooling equipment in U.S. homes never performs to its advertised capacity and efficiency due to incorrect installation, which means homeowners pay higher operating costs over the life of the equipment. Older heating and cooling systems not up to current SEER , HSPF or AFUE standards waste energy, create a bigger carbon footprint, and ultimately cost you more money.

Fortunately, North American Technician Excellence (NATE), the nation's largest industry-endorsed, non-profit certification organization for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration technicians, recommends some steps you can take to maximize your home's efficiency while also being environmentally friendly.

-- Look at your current energy bills to identify inefficiencies. Or use our
energy savings calculator to help you decide if your current system
should be replaced.

-- Purchase equipment with an ENERGY STAR(R) label. High-efficiency systems
reduce your impact on the environment and can also save you money. You
may also be eligible for a Federal Tax Credit.

-- Compare the SEER or AFUE of your cooling or heating system with newer
models. If it's below 13, you may want to consider a new, more efficient
system. Remember, the higher the rating, the less wasted energy and
reduced carbon footprint. Use our energy savings calculator to help
determine the efficiency of your current cooling or heating system as
compared to a more efficient HVAC system.

-- Look into geothermal heating systems. By using the earth's natural heat,
these systems are among the most efficient and energy-conserving heating
and cooling technologies currently available.

-- Change your air filters monthly.

-- Ceiling fans can help delay or reduce the need for air conditioning.

-- Plant more trees on your property. By doing so, the shade it gives off
will make your home feel cooler in the warmer months. In addition to
climate control, trees also improve air quality.

-- Install a programmable thermostat to keep temperatures regulated all year
long.

-- Make sure your home is properly insulated--drafty windows and doors waste
energy.

-- Have your system serviced regularly for optimal performance by an HVACR
professional. Technicians certified by North American Technician
Excellence (NATE), the nation's largest independent, nonprofit
certification body for HVACR technicians, are skilled professionals who
have proven their knowledge in the HVACR industry by passing specialized
certification tests.

For more tips, and to find a contractor who employs NATE-certified technicians near you, visit www.hvacradvice.com or call 877-420-NATE.

wsj
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Improving the Efficiency of Your Home Comfort System

Unread postby phaster » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 01:24:05

Here in san diego (aka enron by the sea) the typical weather pattern is winds flow from west (over the ocean) toward the east (toward the desert), which is why this area is know for having such a wonderful climate

BUT every once in a while the winds reverse (aka "santa ana"), blowing hot air from the desert region(s) toward the city and when this happens things get pretty uncomfortable so stared looking for ways to make the house more comfortable

one low cost solution was fans, then I stared reading about attic fans was a way to cool the house

and found out it is indeed an efficient way to cool down the house!

first I tried an attic fan from a big box store, which IMHO was a POS (typical low cost and low quality), then discovered a well built model

http://www.savenrg.com/atticfan.htm

which when it arrived, I discovered is actually a "fantech model fade 14-4"

http://comm2.fantech.net/commercial-pro ... fans/fade/

it took some doing but used some insulated ducting and various sheet metal flanges from to redirect all the hot air out of the attic area thur a soffit vent

because the fan is industrial in nature and can be "speed" controlled by varying the voltage, designed the installation to act in effect as a whole house fan (this way, I'll be able to vent all the hotter air out before turning on the AC)

w.r.t. lighting at first installed the philips "L" prize bulbs (about a year ago), which I thought were pretty neat but at $39+ per bulb were kinda hard to justify from an economic stand point (even so picked up about 20+ for the house)

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/lig ... e/home.wpd

then this past june or so noticed at home depot that cree was selling a 60 watt equivalent LED for about a quarter the price

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-9-5-Wat ... /203991774

so also tried a few (note these are slightly larger than philips bulbs) so they may not fit in smaller fixtures (as I have learned)

anyway bottom line, for the money I think the cree bulbs are a much better dear (so much so that I bought 44 of them for my local parish), noticed two hard to reach bulbs were burnt out when I went to mass a few months back and that all the bulbs were incandescent

note LED bulbs all have AC to DC circuits, which generate heat loads, and since heat shortens the life of electronics I only switched out LED for incandescent bulbs in "open" fixtures (in other words if a fixture has a closed glass enclosure to diffuse the light, that does not allow airflow and hence traps heat which shortens the life of electronic circuits)
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Improving the Efficiency of Your Home Comfort System

Unread postby Surf » Sun 15 Sep 2013, 02:06:57

Fortunately, North American Technician Excellence (NATE), the nation's largest industry-endorsed, non-profit certification organization for heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration technicians, recommends some steps you can take to maximize your home's efficiency while also being environmentally friendly.

Most of the recommendations involve installing new equipment or calling a technician to service your equipment. Which of course create jobs. Those recommendations also may not save you money long term.

-- Make sure your home is properly insulated--drafty windows and doors waste
energy.

This recommendation emphasizes insulation. Adding more insulation (another cost) my not had a significant impact on your bills.

The best thing to do is to get a blower test done on your home. Frequently states, local governments and utilities will reimburse the cost and it will tell where the air is getting in and out of your home. If you cannot afford a blower test or can't get the cost reimbursed use your hand a candle or some source of smoke to find the leaks (it's not that hard) In many cases the leaks can be plugged by yourself using caulk or a few cans of spray foam sealant in only a afew hours of work. I spent less than $100 in materials and cut my heating bill in half or more
Surf
Peat
Peat

Return to Conservation & Efficiency