Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Sudan Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Sudanese army seizes southern Libyan (oil gateway) town

Unread postby Mesuge » Tue 05 Jul 2011, 19:31:12

I can't believe such bold move 300-400mi into the war zone has generated so little (media) attention so far, thanks for the post.

And just recently the african union showing middle finger to "ICC" on the subject of western warrant issued on Gaddafi. Simply, the old good "morals" seem to be desintegrating, lol.

edit:

July 3, 2011 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) on Sunday denied a report carried by the UK-based Daily Telegraphnewspaper claiming that it took control of a town in southern Libya.

http://www.sudantribune.com/Sudan-repud ... s-on,39419
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 05 Jul 2011, 21:11:45

add to that that this army is from poor, war-thorn country that has been recently divided and virtually lost it's only income. I'm surprised it wasnt Egypt, frankly.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Tue 05 Jul 2011, 21:44:52

Maybe the common African is beginning to realize the vast resources of their continent? I’m sure it’s more sectarian but I’m curious to see if any other African nations attempt anything similar. Libya = Iraq #2 as African people learn from the success/failures of Sunni/Shiite turmoil and how it relates to US and NATO tactics. One of those “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” or something of that nature.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 06 Jul 2011, 19:34:32

That was a bold move, they must be pretty sure of their supply lines and their capability to hold ground. :|
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

War in Sudan

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 11:26:40

Looks like outright war. More than probable that 500,000bpd of exports go away (EIA data). Wonder how long that will take to come back. They are bombing the oil fields in the south now. China has concerns here I believe.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... a-16199059
AirlinePilot

Re: War in Sudan

Unread postby dorlomin » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 11:34:53

Stradles the arab and the sub saharan African world as well. Most likely peter out but has the potential to become a long running religious guerrilla war.

China has to come to a decision that will not anger the African leaders or the Arabs.

Welcome to the big leagues China. Not so easy now.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:43:00

dorlomin wrote:Stradles the arab and the sub saharan African world as well. Most likely peter out but has the potential to become a long running religious guerrilla war.

China has to come to a decision that will not anger the African leaders or the Arabs.

Or, if China doesn´t wants to get the hands dirty and learnt anything from the west, start signing contracts with PMC´s (Private Military Companies) to "pacify" the region.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 13:36:35

So this will be the latest excuse why gasoline prices are high. With allegedly 3 million bpd of production slack in Saudi Arabia this 500 thousand bpd should not matter.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 13:34:17

Stradles the arab and the sub saharan African world as well. Most likely peter out but has the potential to become a long running religious guerrilla war.

This is not a religious war and never has been. The press and certain Christian groups in the west would like you to believe it but it is as far from the truth as you can get. How do I know...I've been there and spent a lot of time both in Khartoum and in Heglig. The south is mostly animist, not Christian. They were at war tribe on tribe for many, many generations. It was the attacks on the oil developments that started the whole thing and it escalated from there. When the peace treaty was signed if you knew anything about the Dinkas and other tribes in the south you would know that they would be at each others throats in months (which they were) and it wouldn't be long before they felt they didn't get enough of the oil. It is politics and power that has driven the war in the past and will do the same know. Bashir is a nut for sure but he isn't the demon he is made out to be in the press nor are the south full of angelic innocents.

China has already paid out their investment in Sudan many times over. In addition to the original fields in Block I AB, II and IV they also have production in Block 6 and made a very large discovery which is now on stream in Block 3/7. Even if Heglig is shut-in (the dividing line had Heglig in the north and Unity field in the south, the two biggest accumulations) the chinese will have significant production. They also have a host of related interests in the country including wireline logging, construction, drilling rigs, seismic companies, restaurants etc. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Sudan fuel unrest: Many die in Khartoum as riots continue

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 25 Sep 2013, 18:16:15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24272835
At least 24 people have been killed in the Sudanese capital Khartoum in clashes sparked by cuts in fuel subsidies, medical sources say.

The director of Omdurman hospital told the BBC his staff had seen 21 bodies. Three others died at another hospital.

Earlier police fired tear gas at protesters. The unrest began on Monday when the government lifted fuel subsidies to raise revenue.

Sudan's economy has been in trouble since South Sudan ceded in 2011.

Osama Mortada of Omdurman hospital told the BBC's Arabic Service that 21 people sent to his hospital had died, and that about 80 were injured.

"All have gunshot wounds, some in the chest," he said.

Setting fire to petrol stations must be one of the daftest ways to protest.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Africa Discussion