Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Long time lurker, first time poster

Unread postby doady » Thu 23 Feb 2012, 20:09:41

Greetings,

Ok, maybe I have not been lurking for a long time, but the last few months seem like forever since discovering PO and PO.com. Like many good people I was loafing along feeling fine, making progress, then the economy goes into the crapper, I lose two jobs in a row (still haven't found good work), and my life is thrown into shambles by something that is out of my control (although most of us have a bit part in this) and will most likely have terrible repercussions on my grandchildren (if not my children)...and my retirement plans.

I would say I waffle between stages 5-7 on the grief meter depending on the topic, with the occasional 1-4 if I am in a particularly melancholy mood. I have learned a few things though:

- Under no circumstances openly discuss this with your wife if she is like the other 6.99 billion people in the world. Break it to her slowly (sarcasm is a definite no-no) and let her draw her own conclusions. This probably applies to husbands too.
- Many more older people get it - by older I mean over 70. I don't know why this is. Maybe it is because they have seen the best and worst times for the world and are able to see through the BS. I have had conversations with complete stranger in this age group at the local dump (although we don't dump anymore, we transfer to some place willing to take it).
- Nobody can tell what is going to transpire. Personally, I think it is going to be bad. The machine is too big to slow down until the last loving drop of liquid gold is combusted or turned into a useful disposable container.

Anyway, I am happy to be part of the conversation and look forward to the shared wisdom of this site. There are many opinion that I respect and look forward to reading. Hopefully I can contribute something useful from time to time.
doady
Wood
Wood

Re: Long time lurker, first time poster

Unread postby Pops » Thu 23 Feb 2012, 21:10:14

Hi doady, thanks for chiming in.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Hello from Richmond VA

Unread postby drobrien01 » Fri 24 Feb 2012, 09:58:59

An article linked from Ars Technica about Peak Oil caught my eye a few weeks ago. I've been on the Yellow Brick Road ever since. Right now I'm in Poppy Land in term of mental state.

end obligatory introductory
drobrien01
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello from Richmond VA

Unread postby Pops » Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:10:19

Hi dr, welcome to Poppy land.
:^D
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 24 Feb 2012, 21:46:41

Greetings and please join in the fray!
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mmasters » Fri 24 Feb 2012, 22:25:47

Hello fellow richmonder
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Hello everyone

Unread postby sethJ » Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:23:19

Hey guys,

I have just recently discovered this forum and though I might contribute something. I don'T have deep knowleadge about the topic itself, but I care for economic topics, thus including energy and energy security and I though increasing my base of information here about it would be a good thing to do!

Looking forward to some nice posts!

regards
sethJ
Wood
Wood

Your friend from Yorop

Unread postby Wootan » Sun 26 Feb 2012, 18:36:22

Hei Doomers!
Your friend from Yorop has just arrived.

What can I do for you? :-D

Btw, why can't I see the right-hand part of the page (using Firefox).
Wootan
Wood
Wood

Hello from Washington DC

Unread postby Rajat Sen » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 17:36:52

I have spent my entire career in clean energy technologies -- in academia, in the private sector and finally as an entrepreneur and a consultant to the US Department of Energy (DOE). I sold my consulting firm recently and find myself in an unique situation -- I am now free to speak my mind without worrying about impacts on my career or my business. I joined this group --to follow what's going on and to occasionally express my views and present facts as I see them. I am looking forward to a dialogue with other members that I am sure will help me clarify my thoughts.
Rajat Sen
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello from Washington DC

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 17:40:34

Welcome
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 17:44:11

Hi Rajat, I see you've already met our official welcoming guy.
:^)

Glad you're here!
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 27 Feb 2012, 18:07:10

Pops wrote:Hi Rajat, I see you've already met our official welcoming guy.
:^)

Glad you're here!

Hey Pops if no one other than you can answer a first post say so and the rest of us can move on to other things.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Rajat Sen » Tue 28 Feb 2012, 09:57:21

Thanks guys for the welcome
Rajat Sen
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:12:24

I am now free to speak my mind without worrying about impacts on my career or my business.

Ok, tell us more...........
vision-master

Unread postby ian807 » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 15:09:39

Hello Rajat, and welcome.

I would be interested in hearing what you have to say, and getting some hints as to where accurate information might be found.

To put my prejudices right up front, my worries about peak oil are largely economic in the short to medium term, but more socially oriented in the long term.

Having examined the liquid hydrocarbon depletion situation, I've come to some tentative conclusions. Forgive me if these seem obvious to you, I'm not an economist.

1) The two key factors in liquid hydrocarbon depletion are aggregate EROEI and production price. In other words, oil must be energetically and economically profitable enough to justify its use as an energy source.

2) It won't be oil scarcity, per se that causes economic issues, but oil scarcity's impact on the interdependent supply chain ecology that provides us all with the material benefits of civilization.

3) Feedback is critical to any meaningful analysis hydrocarbon depletion. To choose an extreme example, at a certain point, the supply chains needed to maintain a self-sustaining system of oil location, extraction, refining and distribution itself breaks down. This could be initiated by a political situation as well as scarcity. We might eventually recover, somewhat, from the former.

4) The critical dependence on oil-based fuels for transportation represents a major vulnerability to human civilization.

If the aforementioned points are valid, then it should be possible to assess risks and estimate timelines for depletion, if you had access to the following accurate information:

1) Aggregate EREOI for all of the worlds liquid hydrocarbon production.

2) An accurate picture of the quantity of liquid hydrocarbons left that are likely to be energetically and economically profitable.

3) An accurate aggregate estimate of the production costs for the world's remaining liquid hydrocarbons.

Unfortunately, the information on the internet regarding all of the aforementioned varies wildly and is very likely not reliable (e.g. KSA oil reserve estimates, natural gas estimates in the USA, EROEI estimates on Canadian oil sands, and so on.) So many economic and political agendas encourage the reporting of the most palatable possible figures that reality is hard to discern. Do you have any ideas about this at all?
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Hello everyone

Unread postby agate » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 04:54:38

Hello there, I am also new to this forum and just wants to say hi to everyone.
agate
Wood
Wood

Re: Newbie

Unread postby agate » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 05:16:14

Hello, this is Agate and I am new to the forum. I loved to read the thread actually.
agate
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello - new to PO

Unread postby agate » Mon 05 Mar 2012, 06:15:42

Hello friends, this is Agate and I am new to this forum, informative post I loved to read this actually.
agate
Wood
Wood

Unread postby agate » Tue 06 Mar 2012, 07:21:37

Welcome Rajat.
agate
Wood
Wood

Re: Another Newbie

Unread postby agate » Tue 06 Mar 2012, 07:42:28

M_B_S wrote:Oh, Austria is a very nice place for holiday.

I had my honeymoon in Vienna. And last year we climbed on the "Dachstein" from Vorberg.

But Corella

Just have a look at this hot peace of paper:

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbook.aspx?I ... 692_698290

Artic Methane Alert

It would be nice to read your comment here.

Its a nightmare or not ?

M_B_S

Hello M_B_S, is really Vienna is good place for honeymoon? I am about to marry in the month of May.
agate
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome