Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Hi! Newbie wanting documentary recs.

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 05 Feb 2012, 02:00:29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WBiTnBw ... r_embedded

Chris Martenson (own thread here). This is a very good up to date summary.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 05 Feb 2012, 20:30:26

Home Project is great
http://www.youtube.com/user/homeproject ... qxENMKaeCU

But is unlikely to down well in the US.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 06 Feb 2012, 13:35:38

Also, although not a docu, Martenson's crash course:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisMartensondotcom

There's a condensed version, too.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Newbie

Unread postby Cog » Fri 10 Feb 2012, 05:56:35

I guess you haven't heard about peak oil. :-D
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Newbie

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 10 Feb 2012, 11:20:52

redrobin wrote:Hello,

This is the first time I have posted in a forum. I am an English Student from the UK and having read some of Richard Heinberg's work I have become increasingly interested in the topics raised in these forums. Although Heinberg often expresses a worst case scenario, he always offers a way forward if not a solution. Literature is a great way to learn about these issues but I feel the power of the internet and forums such as Peak Oil are the way to truly spread this important message. Any suggestions on how I can get more involved within the forum would be much appreciated.

Thank you
So, you've taken the Red pill, then?
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sat 11 Feb 2012, 19:29:56

Hi Mehitabel, welome.

I like Jeff Rubin. He talks about oil in pretty straight ahead economic terms, he's an economist.

But he doesn't do the scary booga booga stuff that turns a lot of people off, not much guns God and gold either. Just pretty rational relocalizaton and deglobalization forecasts.

His book is http://www.jeffrubinssmallerworld.com/a ... -book/#buy
His blog is http://www.jeffrubinssmallerworld.com/
Here's a half hour interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhsMr49AKM8

Though not too entertaining for the short attentional, this is a great 45 minute talk from 2009 still just as current: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYuLjGQQ-jg
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Sat 11 Feb 2012, 20:41:22

babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Hi everyone!

Unread postby margaretB » Thu 16 Feb 2012, 04:06:14

I'm a newbie here. I'm a article author of life, love, goals, politics, news, health, and other interesting things. I find this site interesting and informative and I know I'll enjoy it here as well as learn more to widen my views.
margaretB
Wood
Wood

Re: Hi everyone!

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 16 Feb 2012, 04:29:16

Hi MargretB & welcome, how long have you been lurking (reading) here before joining?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Hi everyone!

Unread postby Pops » Thu 16 Feb 2012, 16:45:13

Hi Margret,
We're definitely all that! A little low on the love but hey.
Do you write for publication or blogs or?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Greetings people :)

Unread postby Cottager » Fri 17 Feb 2012, 13:29:16

Hello people, so I was reading almost every article last year or something around, also before sleep, on Nokia 6303 :roll: I'm lithuanian, now temporary (several months ahead) I'm living in the emm, let's say, great country of Belarus (c'mon, fuel here is so cheap in comparison with our EU standards, like >2 times cheaper). After so much reading of course in my 2,5 acres I'm going to make some kind of doomsted 8) Anyway, although enjoying cheap fuel here, I'm often preferring to walk, it could be 2 miles or 3, doesn't matter, so mine small (1,8td) diesel fueled car often is resting for week or more, also I'm thinking about consuming things that aren't necessary, but not always succesfull yet :twisted: So guys, I'm with you :wink: I'm 39 yr, male, good boy :roll:
Cottager
Peat
Peat

Re: Greetings people :)

Unread postby ian807 » Fri 17 Feb 2012, 18:08:01

How does a Lithuanian get to Belarus and why would you stay? Of the two countries, Lithuania seems more prosperous and less repressive, but that's just how it looks from over here.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby radon » Fri 17 Feb 2012, 21:38:38

Belarus and Lithuania are neighboring countries, and have traditionally been very close - people have been coming in and out across the borders, Belarussians crossing Lithuania to enjoy the Baltic sea beaches etc. Good part of Belarus used to be a part of the old mighty Lithuanian state, so they have lots of tradition and family links.

Belarus has been really cheap lately, I think you can offshore a good Belarussian programmer at a rate close to Indian (at least you could a while ago), and they are really smart. Belarussians themselves are very well-natured, hospitable and diligent people, kind of the Dutch of the Eastern Europe (Lithuanians are of the same kind, btw), so Belarus is a pleasant place to stay in, leaving aside all the politics rubbish.

Belarus is utterly cheap, so if you come if with "hard currency" (euro) in the pocket, you feel like a tsar. Weather is reasonably OK, lots of arable land. On the other hand, if you have an EU passport and enjoy no restrictions on movement across Europe, then what else you should want.
radon

Unread postby ian807 » Sun 19 Feb 2012, 12:14:51

radon wrote:Belarus and Lithuania are neighboring countries, and have traditionally been very close - people have been coming in and out across the borders, Belarussians crossing Lithuania to enjoy the Baltic sea beaches etc. ... On the other hand, if you have an EU passport and enjoy no restrictions on movement across Europe, then what else you should want.

So how do you thing folks in that part of the world will be dealing with higher fuel prices? My cousin in Estonia has no indoor flush toilets, a root cellar for food storage and they burn wood for heating (I think) and don't own a car. Frankly, they strike me as being in fairly good shape to endure higher fuel prices and eventual depletion. How do you think Lithuania and Belarus will fare?
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 22:02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Excessive requoting deleted per COC.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby radon » Sun 19 Feb 2012, 13:05:25

They are close to Estonia, so in terms of climate and soil/vegetation quality and they are pretty much the same, probably even softer, especially Lithuania. I once spent a while in rural Lithuania, ages ago. Met some farmers there, they were able to produce enough for themselves and hefty surplus for sale, without too much use of intensive agriculture techniques. They used gasoline of course. But also horses.

One thing about Belarus - the country is heavily subsidized by Russian cheap energy supplies. Belarus is only one oblast (county) away from Moscow, so Moscow will make sure that Belorussians have the lights on and heating at cheap rates for the foreseeable and unforseeable future. Defense and security among other things.

Russians love Belorussians, people see no difference basically, so the subsidies will go on with no political difficulties, unless the things turn really nasty.

So they should fare better then many. But then there are all sorts of European tribes around with a bumpy historical record. Who knows.
radon

Unread postby Milret2 » Sun 19 Feb 2012, 16:13:20

It has been 25 years since the Ukrainian Chernobyl blast and Belarus got a pretty good radiologic dose after that. Probably not that big a deal for older adults in the area affected but the people who were children then, from infancy to teenagers, have paid a pretty heavy price I hear. I suspect that, as petroleum becomes harder to get and reactors get older, reactor problems in many parts of the world might start happening. Maybe Ukrainians and Belorussians can teach us about such things?

Welcome to this Peak Oil site Cottager. Your command of english is great.
Milret2
Peat
Peat

Hello everyone

Unread postby terenkleo » Mon 20 Feb 2012, 19:55:04

Just register and want to say Hello everyone
I am new here and very much happy to be a part of this community.
terenkleo
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello everyone

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 20 Feb 2012, 21:18:17

Don't listen to pstarr, suffering is good for the soul. Why, it could make you a creative genius.

http://www.ted.com/talks/rob_hopkins_tr ... t_oil.html
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 20 Feb 2012, 21:29:19

Welcome.
Lots of interesting reading here and then there is the ongoing debates about several subjects once you dare to join in. Lots of nice people with a few turkeys that act as devils advocates. Don't take anything personal as you have more important things to do then put turkey poster XYZ in his place. Have fun.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 20 Feb 2012, 21:53:46

pstarr wrote: I just returned to writing my gloomy post-apocalyptic movie script.

Is it better than this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPOH9aMsZh4
bratticus
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome